• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Kings over Lawrencetown Beach

• Thread starter Thread starter RyanNS
  • Start date Start date
R

RyanNS

Was out surfing all morning Wednesday and there was a Sea King that did a couple fly by's near the point at Lawrencetown. Good to see the Air Force guys out in the air   :salute:

Edit: Sorry. My bad its Air Force not Navy. Too much time in the water for me  :blotto:

RyanNS said:
Was out surfing all morning Wednesday and there was a Sea King that did a couple fly by's near the point at Lawrencetown. Good to see the Navy guys out in the air   :salute:

Air force...air force....air force ... ;D

I can remember golfing out at the Hartlen Point course as a kid and watching Sea Kings doing manoeuvres about 50 yards from the third hole tee box. The scary thing is that was almost 30 years ago and it's probably the same Sea King mentioned above.

RyanNS said:
Was out surfing all morning Wednesday and there was a Sea King that did a couple fly by's near the point at Lawrencetown. Good to see the Air Force guys out in the air  :salute:

Edit: Sorry. My bad its Air Force not Navy. Too much time in the water for me  :blotto:

It might be Air Force in some circles... but it will always be Naval Air!!

Sam

They were doing a few fly bys out our way yesterday(cole harbour).

Get a bunch of drunk people(4 CF members and their spouses + kids) and a sea king flying over a few times and you have quite a comedy show!!

I love watching them go over head

I am old enough to remember seeing fighters and the Argust fly out of Greenwood.  :P

RyanNS

Back in 2000 I lived in Eastern Passage in an old 2 story home. I would go to bed at night and the sea kings would fly so damn low, they shook my house. I got tired of straightening the pictures on my wall so they all came down. Now I live in Shearwater and they still fly overhead. Not nearly as low and as often but they still do. My kids love watching them and everyone is looking forward to the Airshow coming up the weekend of the 10th. Even though my fiance is in the navy, he would rather be in an aircraft any given day. He has his commercial pilots licence, however, its been so long since he's been out. The can be really amazing to watch. Maybe not so much the seakings (I have yet to see one be so graceful -LOL-) but even to watch the Aurora. Personally I cant wait for the airshow... Yippy! 

Sorry to bore you guys with this.
Take care 'til next time

S.Bradbury

I hear ya NavyGirl.......I live very close to shearwater as well, and man oh man, sometimes those sea kings never seem to stop!!  Its like a constant background noise.  But my kids love them as well. :)
    Should be a good airshow this year, at the airport again..................I'll be working out there on the ramp, so I get a great view of the show!
Cheers
Steve :cdn:

It seems some people don't like the noise...I thought you guys would enjoy this for a few chuckles.

Night flying upsets Colby Villager
What do you expect next to an airport, forces spokesman says By JENNIFER STEWART / Staff Reporter

A Colby Village resident who lives less than a kilometre from one of 12 Wing Shearwater's active runways says he is upset with the airbase's night flying schedule. Jim Nemeth, who lives on Amethyst Crescent, says the Sea King helicopters that regularly fly over his home are a disruptive nuisance. "We've been here 2 1/2 years and it's an ongoing event," Mr. Nemeth said Thursday. He says the choppers usually roar between 9 p.m. and midnight, but lately they've been returning to the base as late as 1 a.m. "You keep children awake, you keep people awake, you're flying so low you even disrupt the conversation, never mind the TV," he said. Mr. Nemeth admits it may sound trivial but says the noise is a constant bother for many in his neighbourhood. Air force spokesman Capt. Dave Devenney met with Mr. Nemeth on Thursday morning to discuss his concerns. He said the noise is unfortunately something the residents will have to live with. "It's a balancing act for us and them, in that they're living near an active airbase," he said. Pilots at Shearwater are required to have at least one hour of night flying a month to keep their skills sharp, Capt. Devenney said. The base has about 60 pilots. At two pilots a flight, he said, that's roughly 30 night flights a month. Mr. Nemeth said he understands that reasoning but wishes the impact on the community could be minimized. For example, he suggested, try putting time restrictions on the flights. But Capt. Devenney said it's not that easy, especially in the summer months when darkness falls as late as 9:30 p.m. "What we do is, we block time for night flying so we don't actually conduct it through the whole month," he explained. "We're really trying to be efficient." Ken Whitehead, who flew the Sea Kings for a period during his 34 years in the air force, said Mr. Nemeth shouldn't complain about the noise, because he chose to live in the area. "I just don't understand people," Mr. Whitehead said Wednesday night. "They know they're moving and living in the vicinity of an airport, and they complain about aircraft noise." Mr. Whitehead, who also lives in Colby Village, said he too occasionally hears the choppers but said he's accustomed to the sound. Capt. Devenney said he hasn't heard any noise complaints other than Mr. Nemeth's. "We are a heliport now," he said. "If you looked at Shearwater before, we were actually busier (then), so we have reduced aircraft use."
Back Copyright © 2005 The Halifax Herald Limited

And a response...

This was in the Chronicle Herald a few days later...

Special squadron
Re: Jim Nemeth's Aug. 16 letter, "Fly-by-nighters."

One of the most rewarding and coveted postings that any aircrew can hope for is the Jim Nemeth Harassment Squadron (JNHS). It is a tactically oriented formation which, when tasked, are roused out of their warm comfortable beds and ordered to fly. They must say farewell to their families and at any odd hour be expected to get their choppers airborne, to fly by Jim's house.

These same aircrews may coincidentally benefit from these manoeuvres, for they may practise emergency procedures that could one day save their lives, so they may continue to serve Jim. They might also hone combat skills that our government will ask them to use.

Some of these crews actually practise Search and Rescue techniques instead of going directly to Jim's, if you can imagine. You're sure you'll never need this service? All JNHS crews are hereby ordered to use all of their flying hours for their primary objective only: fly by Jim's. Though the aircraft are old, the men and women are very proud.

The next time a chopper flies by, don't look up and curse it. Look up and say "thanks." Just one question, Mr. Nemeth: Was the airport there before you moved in?

Rob Butler, Sgt., retired, Wilmot

I was just about to post those..lol

I love seeing those guys fly over. It was more exciting last week when my husband got to go for a familiarity flight on one of the sea kings. The kids patiently waited for daddy to fly over our house, but the ceiling dropped and they had to land early. He had a blast though, and I am very jealous about what he did get to do!

Only thing better than seeing a Sea King fly over, is being in it while it does.

Bograt said:
Only thing better than seeing a Sea King fly over, is being in it while it does.

My husband sat here nodding his head when I read what you wrote. He said he would definitely do it again. His next familiarity flight will be on an aurora, so he is pretty excited about that one too!

Back