• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking Guidance for the Future

menezes

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first time posting on this forum, so apologizes if I missed a sticky etc.
I'm currently a grade 11 student, going into grade 12. I've decided on a career in health care as a physician. My marks are mid 90's so hopefully I can get past undergrad and med with determination.
The question: I've always wanted to be a physician for either the Red Cross, or the Army. However I'm very worried about a few things. I want to have a family, and as a physician would I have to move all over the country multiple times? Deployment is okay with me, I just don't want to have to relocate my family all over for the sake of my career in the CF. Will I have to relocate multiple times? I was also wondering which stream I should head into if I do become a medical officer. I am leaning towards army, but I'd rather be in a safer environment. I don't mind danger, but once again the thought of family comes into my mind and I couldn't imagine leaving them. Is the job relatively safe, or as potentially dangerous as an Infantry Soldier?
Also leaning towards the more educational side, where I live we don't have many people to talk to about getting into the armed forces (Closest is 30k away, and as a student, it's too far to drive for the main purpose of education on the subject), I was wondering if the Army would pay for my whole Undergrad + Med School, or would I just have to pay for those myself, and then enter the army as a physician after.

I Know this was a long post, but I really appreciate any answers.
Thank you all
Sean

You have a long time to decide.

Do what you need to do to get accepted into med school. Then come ask about a career as a medical officer in the military.

As far as your specific questions:

All the doctors I know are married, many with children.

You don't hade to move often. But may have to every 3-6 yrs.

Being a doctor in the military is much less dangerous than being in the combat arms, but there is always risk when we don the uniform.

Now get back to studying for your exams, and working at improving those marks.

menezes said:
Also leaning towards the more educational side, where I live we don't have many people to talk to about getting into the armed forces (Closest is 30k away, and as a student, it's too far to drive for the main purpose of education on the subject), I was wondering if the Army would pay for my whole Undergrad + Med School, or would I just have to pay for those myself, and then enter the army as a physician.
Sean, you have a long road ahead of you whether you decide to join the military to not.  Your entry program would likely be the Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) - Google it.

Before then, you will need to get accepted into an undergraduate Bachelors program and afterwards, gain acceptance to a medical school. Good luck on your journey.

Back