• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sent on exercise in old trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

meni0n

Reaction score
Good day,

I have a question, I've done a OT in 2009 and have been waiting to go on course. I've been attach posted to my old position while I am waiting to get on course.

I have been informed I will be on exercise next week in my old trade's position.

Given that I am no longer in that trade, can I be tasked to do the job of my old trade on a exercise?

You can be tasked to do any job you are qualified for, or any that don't need specific qualifications.

So i cannot deploy in that job capacity but I can still be put on a exercise performing that job?

I thought that when you do an occupational transfer you are no longer employable in that trade.

An operational task is usually restricted by trade when only one trade has the qualifications to execute the role. Tasks for employment on exercises seldom has that embedded limitation.

Changing trades does not automatically invalidate your previous qualifications. 

If the exercise was in Hawaii would you be complaining about it?

One important question:

Do  you have any Medical Employment Limitations (MELs) that would preclude you from performing certain tasks in your old trade?

No I do not.

By that same thinking, I could be qualified and be posted and then someone says oh wait we need a sig op to fill this position on a exercise, you were one before, now you're a sig op again?

Once you change trades, your file says your new trade and you are considered as part of that trade.

I worked for 6 months in my old trade waiting for training in the new one. I was restricted for deployment based on the likelihood of my training starting during the mission. I would suppose that you're restricted in the same manner. It's not like you forgot everything you learned the day your remuster was approved...

You're not technically part of the new trade until you're qualified in it.

Actually that changed in 2005

http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/docs/programs/iss/PolicyChangeOnEffectiveDates_e.doc

You are part of the new trade effective APS. I got a VOT message that states I am part of new trade effective 09.

meni0n said:
Once you change trades, your file says your new trade and you are considered as part of that trade.

But you are posted to a unit and the unit decides how they will utilize you.  I am a LOG O (untrained) but that hasn't stopped my unit from using my previous qualifications from my previous trade in order to fulfill their needs.  I feel no resentment for that as I understand that is their prerogative.  Do I think sometimes I could be better utilized, absolutely and I let them know diplomatically but in the end I do what they lawfully order me to do.

Can't be employed in the new trade, won't be employed in the old one doesn't sound like good personnel management to me. I know what the policy says, but you're drawing the "Queen's shilling", carry on, I say.

If he is employed in a position and qualified in a trade, he should be able to go on ex AND deploy. It would be frusterating for a member to be deemed "qualified" to sit in the middle of a training area and do the job, only for them to be passed over when ROTO comes around because "you aren't a _____ anymore!" After all, I always thought operational requirements took precedence over training/career courses....

Currently my MPRR states QL0. It also states I am part of the new trade. My unit is not the one I am with right now as I am just attach posted here. If I said I want to go on tour I get " you're not a sig op anymore" but when they're short of one for a sigop position they're happy to overlook that detail.

OK menion, here's the dealio.

You came here and asked your question.

Many people gave you the same answer, which is, yes you can be employed in your old trade.

You don't like that answer.

You insist on throwing out straw men about not being able to deploy in the old trade.

The bottom line is - you can, and are, being tasked on ex in your old trade.

Live with it. All your arguing, with those that are trying to help and answer your question, won't help.

Milnet.ca Staff

Seriously, did you instantly forget how to be a SigOp the day you VOT'd? Probably not. No one is expecting you to be a god SigOp, but you still wear a Signals flash and capbadge and will be expected to have cursory skills with radios.

I'm sure you have 2 choices. Go on the exercise and do some CP work, or sit in PAT platoon and sweep some floors before you sit around for the remainder of the 8 hour work day.

We had a former-sig-op mechanic for a couple of years, who was repeatedly (not once, but repeated) tasked as a sig op while on exercise... even after trade qualified.... he absolutely hated the job of sig op, which is why he'd changed his trade, yet them kept jamming him back into it. Drove his moral solidly into the ground and continued to stomp on it from above...

As for everyone who wants to attack this fellow for not being pleased about his situation, can he be employed in any way in his new trade? If so, is being employed in his former trade in way effective development of his skills in his new trade?

Ok I will explain the situation better. There are actual sig ops around that want to go in my place. I talked to one and he said he would love to go. Another thing is I don't know french VP and I hardly touched any radios for the last couple of years. Why send a OT with all those deficiencies when they got a trained sig op that never been to a field unit and wants the experience.

Either way If I have to go I will but the unit is expecting a fully functional sig op to support their ex, I am just anxious since for the reasons above and don't want to provide bad support due to my limitations.

a Sig Op said:
can he be employed in any way in his new trade? If so, is being employed in his former trade in way effective development of his skills in his new trade?

Not until he has a security clearance.

PuckChaser said:
Not until he has a security clearance.

I have no idea what his new trade is... it was more a general point to anyone telling him to suck it up... when I manage to find time and motivation to get out of this trade, I'd be quite irritated if somone tried to employ me in it again...

meni0n said:
Already got it Puck ;)

You're just unlucky and stuck doing one more ex for PAT platoon. Think of it as a last hurrah as a SigOp and make the most of it. Just think how you'll feel being ordered on the Basic Comms Course at the EW Regt by your CoC who thinks you know nothing about comms.... you'll be reliving the first couple weeks of your 3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back