• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score

Or an 'atta boy' for doing such an awesome job.

And yet more proof that reservists don't have much say in what happens in the CAF because they aren't part of the 'Old Boys' Club' . ;)

Justin Trudeau expresses support for Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan despite censure by MPs​

He may have been censured by the House of Commons this week over his handling of sexual misconduct in the military, but Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is not going anywhere, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday.

Amid mounting calls for Sajjan to resign or be fired — both from opposition politicians and experts who study the military — Trudeau continued to express support for his embattled minister, who he said is committed to transforming military culture.

“He continues to have my confidence. He is the right person for the job,” Trudeau told reporters.

“I know the level to which he is dedicated to transforming, for the better, the culture of the military in many ways. He’s certainly not a part of the old boys’ club that is causing such problems right now in the military.”

Trudeau was speaking after a Conservative motion to censure Sajjan — expressing the House’s disappointment in his leadership — passed in a late-night Thursday vote with the support of the NDP and Bloc Québécois.

While the motion carries no formal consequences for Sajjan, it serves as a “strong signal” to the prime minister that Sajjan has lost the respect of the other parties in the House and should be sacked, said Conservative defence critic James Bezan, who tabled the motion.

“It is so sad that the prime minister would rather stand beside and protect Minister Sajjan than to stand up and protect the women and men who have suffered sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces,” Bezan said in an interview Friday following Trudeau’s comments. “It again proves that Justin Trudeau is a fake feminist.”

Trudeau labelled the motion a “crass political attack,” saying it slandered the reputation of a man who has served as a police officer, soldier and federal minister. Members of the Liberal cabinet took to Twitter en masse in the wake of Thursday’s vote, reiterating their support.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Or an 'atta boy' for doing such an awesome job.

And yet more proof that reservists don't have much say in what happens in the CAF because they aren't part of the 'Old Boys' Club' . ;)

Justin Trudeau expresses support for Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan despite censure by MPs​

He may have been censured by the House of Commons this week over his handling of sexual misconduct in the military, but Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is not going anywhere, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday.

Amid mounting calls for Sajjan to resign or be fired — both from opposition politicians and experts who study the military — Trudeau continued to express support for his embattled minister, who he said is committed to transforming military culture.

“He continues to have my confidence. He is the right person for the job,” Trudeau told reporters.

“I know the level to which he is dedicated to transforming, for the better, the culture of the military in many ways. He’s certainly not a part of the old boys’ club that is causing such problems right now in the military.”

Trudeau was speaking after a Conservative motion to censure Sajjan — expressing the House’s disappointment in his leadership — passed in a late-night Thursday vote with the support of the NDP and Bloc Québécois.

While the motion carries no formal consequences for Sajjan, it serves as a “strong signal” to the prime minister that Sajjan has lost the respect of the other parties in the House and should be sacked, said Conservative defence critic James Bezan, who tabled the motion.

“It is so sad that the prime minister would rather stand beside and protect Minister Sajjan than to stand up and protect the women and men who have suffered sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces,” Bezan said in an interview Friday following Trudeau’s comments. “It again proves that Justin Trudeau is a fake feminist.”

Trudeau labelled the motion a “crass political attack,” saying it slandered the reputation of a man who has served as a police officer, soldier and federal minister. Members of the Liberal cabinet took to Twitter en masse in the wake of Thursday’s vote, reiterating their support.

"He’s certainly not a part of the old boys’ club that is causing such problems right now in the military.”

Sigh........................

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Didn’t I say that the defence of Canada is our most important mission? If you quoted the whole post, you’d see the context.

The whole original quote:

The lack of commitment is not proof that it isn’t one of the primary missions envisioned by the Government. Just look how committed to the defence of Canada (and much required NORAD modernization)... Yet, no one can argue it is not one of our primary mission, arguably the most important one....

Which was in response to:

A lot of people seem to have thought the role of the CAF was to peace keep and we all know that is not the primary mission.

I took, therefore, "Yet, no one can argue it is not one of our primary mission, arguably the most important one....", to refer to peacekeeping, whether that was your intent or not.

If "Just look how committed to the defence of Canada" was actually a serious statement describing historical governmental attitude towards the defence of Canada, then I misinterpreted, because I have yet to experience any real governmental commitment since joining in 1973.

Even the two Conservative governments (not counting Joe Clark's brief misadventure) during that almost half-century either lost interest very quickly after some initial good work (Stephen Harper) or only made excessively-generous promises that lived for barely two years, if that long.

And we're now well into the third federal government that has failed to replace your main ride.

Kilted

Reaction score
"He’s certainly not a part of the old boys’ club that is causing such problems right now in the military.”

That we know of, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a complaint was made about him, pretty much everyone else in a senior position has had at least one by now. Or perhaps it might be like Vance, as soon as he's out of the position someone might come forward.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score

Sorry mods (Like actually sorry, I won't mean to curse often on the forums)

But... Holy shit. Wow. Just wow. How can someone in that position say something that is so wrong, in so many ways at once? 'Take a breath. Think it through. Still seem like a good thing to say? No. Then rethink it.'

- "He’s certainly not a part of the old boys’ club". Yes, yes he is.

In fact, the fact that he was a Major, had tours to the sandbox, and advised on planning major operations makes him pretty familiar with what most would consider 'the boys club' at the time. Old boys club now, because, well, time gets us all...

- "that is causing such problems right now in the military." Do you ENJOY constantly having one foot in boiling oil, or is it so damn blistered and damaged you just don't feel it anymore? Like it's just a normal part of life for you, isn't it?

Are they the cause of such problems right now in the military? Obviously, in one sense, yes. Very much so. Lead by example, don't text your co-workers on any level anything that could be misinterpreted as sexual in nature. Interested in someone, and may want to pursue something more? Great, be a gentleman and approach them about it in a nice & respectful way, etc.

But all of these individuals are also entitled to due process, fairness, and to have the matters settled objectively and honestly - not by media slander and nonsense. And when the PM just threw all of them under the boss at once, it doesn't help reinforce due process.

But are they the only thing causing problems in the military right now? No, no they are not.

Most of the people who have come forwards I find credible thus far, and deserve to have their concerns and complaints followed up on.

*Some of the people who have come forwards are questionable, and their stories are questionable - I'm reserving any hard opinion one way or another until the facts are released to the public. Which is why due process is so important, and truly is the foundation of our justice system. (In theory, anyway.)

That one statement alone from the PM was so mind-bogglingly dumb, I hope the opposition parties see the opening & exploit it with as many reasonable yet pointed questions as possible. :mad:

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Sorry mods (Like actually sorry, I won't mean to curse often on the forums)

You might be the very first one to do so, but I am sure that somebody could dredge up a prior example.

But... Holy shit. Wow. Just wow. How can someone in that position say something that is so wrong, in so many ways at once?

Because he is clueless and tone-deaf and too wrapped up in himself.

And many other non-positive things.

In fact, the fact that he was a Major, had tours to the sandbox, and advised on planning major operations makes him pretty familiar with what most would consider 'the boys club' at the time. Old boys club now, because, well, time gets us all...

He retired as a Lieutenant-Colonel, I believe.

That one statement alone from the PM was so mind-bogglingly dumb,

Like so many of its predecessors.

Good rant, that was.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Not part of the old boys network says the guy who got the job primarily because of his name and connections.
I don't know how old many of you are but the very name "Trudeau" conjures up in my mind hatred of anything west of Toronto, an all consuming anti Alberta policy (the National Energy Plan that Trudeau the First and his lackey Marc Lalonde introduced in the early 80s), Trudeau the First's obstruction of justice when one of his kids was caught with marijuana and his basically telling the West to "fuddle duddle" off.
Now we have an empty headed court jester - Trudeau the Second - leading the nation - what could possibly go wrong?

Rant off

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
You might be the very first one to do so, but I am sure that somebody could dredge up a prior example.

Because he is clueless and tone-deaf and too wrapped up in himself.

And many other non-positive things.

He retired as a Lieutenant-Colonel, I believe.

Like so many of its predecessors.

Good rant, that was.
Why Thank You sir.

I don’t know what’s been happening with me over the last few months - but I feel like something finally just snapped in my mind, and now I just sit here with a blown mind and open jaw at so many things.

I don’t know if this is what getting older and jaded feels like? Or I just need a vacation? Or if my day job is just getting to me, and then I still need a vacation. I went for a walk earlier tonight in a green space behind my house, I just found myself saying... “I need to stop trying to stay up to date on the world. Too much nonsense.”

I have sworn a few times over the last few months. I know it’s not the end of the world, but my apologies regardless. Vent was needed on that one 😅

Cheers

suffolkowner

Reaction score
I've said it before that in any country that takes National Defence or even politics seriously the MND would have resigned a long time ago.
Stephen Saidemen's take on it which I'm in pretty much full agreement on

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
He's part of several "old boys" clubs, whether he likes/realizes it or not. Military, police, Liberal, politician.
The moment he decided not to look at evidence confirmed he is part of that club. The entire department has no faith in him, and at this point I'd argue his conduct could be grounds to strip him of his OMM. I think if a hard objective look was taken, it would be taken away from him, he definitely no long brings honor to the appointment.

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The entire department has no faith in him, and at this point I'd argue his conduct could be grounds to strip him of his OMM. I think if a hard objective look was taken, it would be taken away from him, he definitely no long brings honor to the appointment.
Only the GiC can strip him of his ORMM. In that the PM supports him so fully, that's not going to happen. The PM need Sajjan, more specifically, his riding and his riding's money.

coolintheshade

Reaction score
Major General Dany Fortin has filed a court challenge alleging his dismissal from the vaccine rollout involved political interference by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and two of his cabinet ministers.

Hmmmm...I guess a precedent set with the previous VCDS under Vance, is what brought this one. Anyhoo....

For those keeping track at home there are now 8 GoFo's implicated in either sexual/harrasment/leadership misconduct who have either since retired, been relieved from their position or are currently under investigation.

• Gen Vance (Former CDS - Sexual Misconduct)
  • Adm MacDonald (CDS - Sexual Misconduct)
  • LGen Rouleau (VCDS - Leadership Misconduct)
  • VAdm Edmundson (Comd MILPERSCOM - Rape)
  • MGen Fortin (Vaccine Rollout - Sexual Misconduct)
  • MGen Dawe (Comd CANSOFCOM - leadership misconduct, wrote letter of support for soldier convicted of rape twice)
  • VAdm Baines - Temporary Leave (Comd RCN - Leadership Misconduct)
  • BGen Bernard (2/IC Vaccine Rollout - Racist Slur in Workplace)
Edit:

This also doesn’t include those who quietly retired like Coates. Did I miss anyone?