• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
with a weirdly moist miasma
I could taste that comment.

Paris Hilton Reaction GIF

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps instead of beasting Senior Cpls and new MCpls around on PLQ or AJLC (or conversely a new 2Lt on BMOQ-A), we can actually roll some of this extremely valuable and relevant training into the courses.

There use to be a reason for this type of training. It was to make effective Leaders under high stress situations. Sleep deprived, food deprived, moral deprived, skills deprived. Lets see what you can do under harsh conditions. This way you learn to overcome your deficiencies as a team. Lean on the each other for help to accomplish the mission. Now it seems like it has turned into lets be a manager at "insert your favorite store" and screw everyone else around me I am my own person and don't tell me how to do it.
I’m out, and no longer have a dog in this fight other than an ongoing concern for the welfare of my former colleagues and subordinates, and concern for the efficacy of our national defence. But, from the outside now, looking in... why not both?

On relatively rare occasion, just about anyone in the military can be called upon to be part of the infliction of great and savage violence. Whether filling a role in the combat centre on a ship, or dropping warheads from on high or letting rip with a door gun, or whether you’re the dude in the platoon weapons det putting an 84mm HE round into a building full of the other guy, or jamming a bayonet in someone whose leadership we have a political disagreement with. Sometimes the job is to kill the everliving shit out of people who are trying to do the same thing to you. This fight will be fought and won at the bayonet level by the NCOs who employ their sections and sets as their personal weapon. When that day comes, as the NCO, you have to be at your best, and you have to have a measure of just how much you can endure. That measure is extremely hard to properly gauge outside of very hard training that at times is calculated to present unreasonable challenges and to see how you hold up. It will be rare in a career to actually have to do this (if ever). It needs to be less rare to practice for it. And so, “beasting”.

But most of the time - the rest of the time - you are looking after those same soldiers you must throw into harm’s way. CAF has elected to recruit human beings with human dreams, ambitions, frailties, loves, hopes, and weaknesses. It is the proper care and nurturing of the total human package that is your troops, that will get them to stick around beyond VIE. Treating them decently, knowing them and promoting their welfare, is what will keep their skills and experience within the institution. It might even be what gets them out from behind cover and following you forward, when that hard day comes and it’s time to do the other stuff, and you hope someone is still there beside you when you finish the next bound.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
You know your weightlifting and diet are going a bit far when your t-shirts smell like a cat box.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Obstructing justice

• 139(1) Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding,
    • (a) by indemnifying or agreeing to indemnify a surety, in any way and either in whole or in part, or
    • (b) where he is a surety, by accepting or agreeing to accept a fee or any form of indemnity whether in whole or in part from or in respect of a person who is released or is to be released from custody,
      is guilty of
    • (c) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
    • (d) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
    • Idem
      (2) Every person who intentionally attempts in any manner other than a manner described in subsection (1) to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice is guilty of
      • (a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years; or
      • (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
    • Marginal note:Idem
      (3) Without restricting the generality of subsection (2), every one shall be deemed wilfully to attempt to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice who in a judicial proceeding, existing or proposed,
      • (a) dissuades or attempts to dissuade a person by threats, bribes or other corrupt means from giving evidence;
      • (b) influences or attempts to influence by threats, bribes or other corrupt means a person in his conduct as a juror; or
      • (c) accepts or obtains, agrees to accept or attempts to obtain a bribe or other corrupt consideration to abstain from giving evidence, or to do or to refrain from doing anything as a juror.

QV

Reaction score
Anyone know what the crime is that he was under investigation for again?

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone know what the crime is that he was under investigation for again?
According to the news he us being charged under §139 of the Criminal Code 0f Canada.
  • 139 (1) Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding,
    • (a) by indemnifying or agreeing to indemnify a surety, in any way and either in whole or in part, or
    • (b) where he is a surety, by accepting or agreeing to accept a fee or any form of indemnity whether in whole or in part from or in respect of a person who is released or is to be released from custody,
    • is guilty of
    • (c) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
    • (d) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
He was under investigation for sexual misconduct. I thought this was common knowledge.
Correct. Allegedly he obstructed NIS investigations, or at least that's how I see it.

This is a terrible situation for all involved.

Kilted

Reaction score
Having the charges heard before a civilian court removes any arguments surrounding JAG autonomy. Smart move IMHO.
He's a civilian, he was also a civilian when the event that he was charged for occurred, it wouldn't be possible to charge him military side.

QV

Reaction score
Sorry, I asked what crime he was under investigation for, or perhaps which judicial proceeding was under way that which he then obstructed justice on.

Do we have an allegation of a crime other than the obstruct? Or is this a DAOD 5019 personal relationship deemed adverse thing?