• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
For that matter, are said female Col/BGen particularly inclined to get dragged away from their substantive roles to deal with this stuff? Is there some element of tokenism there?
Could be. Perhaps not in the VCDS position, but maybe in the CPCC position? I wonder if Allen conversed with Carignan in the Dawe issue?

coolintheshade

Reaction score
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Is that coffee or wine in that cup? Either way, it will go nice with 'Coffee Time' huge donuts in Kingston, across from Regiopolis HS. LOL

coolintheshade

Reaction score
For that matter, are said female Col/BGen particularly inclined to get dragged away from their substantive roles to deal with this stuff? Is there some element of tokenism there?
Bingo! I didn't mention these two because they're busier than Dawe in their current roles. I was recently in Baghdad with Carrigan, and what a fantastic person professionally and socially.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Bingo! I didn't mention these two because they're busier than Dawe in their current roles. I was recently in Baghdad with Carrigan, and what a fantastic person professionally and socially.
And don’t get me wrong. If the CDS says “your job is now this”, then… Your job is now this. I could just see this being a crappy thing for a senior female officer to get assigned to. I suspect those working at that level have little time for any appearance of advancement simply because female. I could of course be wrong, my sample size on those I know is very limited.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
"Restorative Engagement with the Community"

"Submit to being passed under the harrow (repeatedly)."

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Then why the hesitancy to see someone like Carignan be a key player in this, and instead some Col or BGen? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Genuine question. Doesn’t that effectively dismiss her (Carignan) potential contribution to help rectify the situation?

Bruce Monkhouse

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
I must be the devil incarnate to some of you folk riding that high horse......over the last 16 years of my career I've written hundreds of referrals supporting child molesters, sex offenders, drug dealers, wife beaters, etc. as long as they showed, to myself and the social work team, that they were trying to sort themselves out.
A letter can make the difference between help for the affliction/mental illness and rotting away to cause more havoc someday. As for those who think they would never hang out with "these kind" of people, well guess what, you are. You'd be amazed at the places I've seen ex-cons work once they are out. They don't all look like they should be on "Oz".

This kind of publicity is actually the worst thing that could happen to the convicted, they end up getting more time/fines/ conditions and doing way more of their sentences, non-famous folk get parole waaaaaaaaaay sooner then you really want to know.
Convicts cost money.....

coolintheshade

Reaction score
I get it some have connections to Dawe and think he deserves a chance. Ask yourself if we give him a second chance what are we now setting a precedent for ? What could follow ? And what will the greater impact be on the institution ?
I wouldn't want anything to do with these namby-pamby folks......cause, it speaks volumes
And don’t get me wrong. If the CDS says “your job is now this”, then… Your job is now this. I could just see this being a crappy thing for a senior female officer to get assigned to. I suspect those working at that level have little time for any appearance of advancement simply because female. I could of course be wrong, my sample size on those I know is very limited.
Ack. No doubt

coolintheshade

Reaction score
Then why the hesitancy to see someone like Carignan be a key player in this, and instead some Col or BGen? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Genuine question. Doesn’t that effectively dismiss her (Carignan) potential contribution to help rectify the situation?
She recently got promoted to current rank, and assigned her role. Dawe's role can be easily filled by a female of the ranks I mentioned...is my rationale on this question you ask..BOSS

Bruce Monkhouse

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Wow, so now we can assign jobs by gender?? So the social advances of the last 40 years mean nothing??

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Bold statement - have you ever served with or under him?

Read the VCDS message. The investigation found he did something for which he regretted and he has shown a willingness now to reach out to "stakeholders and the affected persons."

The point is good people make bad decisions - I'm not sure if a bad decision automatically makes him a dirtbag and can be used to characterize a 30-year career....

That's not entirely inaccurate. She was not his subordinate, her husband was. Not that it changes anything, but the fact that you aren't getting basic facts right when making character assumptions leads me to question your statements.
You are 100% right. I have to be accountable for my own statements, and I wasn’t entirely accurate with some of the things I wrote.

I was also perhaps overly harsh towards him as a person, when my intention was to be harsh towards the situation.

I wrote what I did at around 4am or so, and didn’t have Google available to quickly refresh my memory.

Regardless, I wrote what I did shortly after reading the article, when I should have been reading other sources or reading this thread to see other posts on the matter - rather than typing out an instinctive reaction. Now that I am on a PC and can scroll through this discussion, I can see that there were facets of this that I wasn't able to read earlier.

So on that note, I actually genuinely Thank You for calling me out.

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
For sure. I’m not saying he’s right for that job, just let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Interestingly- I’m watching the Trudeau presser about vaccine mandate. The questions afterwards pivoted quickly to the Dawe issue, and the PM did not have kind words to say about CAF. Interestingly there was a question about replacing Sajjan. The answer was a very generic bit about how carefully they think of each cabinet appointment, but he did NOT clearly come out and defend or support him.
Of course he did.

It is right out this PMO playbook: when the PM is in trouble, throw another organization/person under the bus.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
She recently got promoted to current rank, and assigned her role. Dawe's role can be easily filled by a female of the ranks I mentioned...is my rationale on this question you ask..BOSS
With whom, specifically…2-leafs I guess we’re talking now? You seem to think the role ‘only’ needs a 4-ring/1-leaf and that the 3-leaf women are otherwise too busy doing other things…

Then just 5d/5f Dawe?

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
With whom, specifically…2-leafs I guess we’re talking now? You seem to think the role ‘only’ needs a 4-ring/1-leaf and that the 3-leaf women are otherwise too busy doing other things…

Then just 5d/5f Dawe?
The witch hunters would love that.
I’ve served in the same unit as MGen Dawe and his brother. Phil was the doctor who briefed us on how our son died in Afghanistan.

It seems due process is only for salty corporals. I jest of course….

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
The PM throws the CAF under the bus. Nice arm there, Prince Justin ....

Military 'simply doesn't get it' when it comes to sexual misconduct, PM says​

Trudeau said he was "dismayed" by decision to involve Maj.-Gen. Dawe in the sexual misconduct file​

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today the military "still doesn't get it" when it comes to sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces.

At a news conference, Trudeau reacted to the appointment of of Maj.-Gen. Peter Dawe to the sexual misconduct file and the subsequent decision to rescind his appointment. Dawe provided a positive character reference to an officer who was convicted of sexually assaulting another soldier.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
The PM throws the CAF under the bus. Nice arm there, Prince Justin ....

Military 'simply doesn't get it' when it comes to sexual misconduct, PM says​

Trudeau said he was "dismayed" by decision to involve Maj.-Gen. Dawe in the sexual misconduct file​

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today the military "still doesn't get it" when it comes to sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces.

At a news conference, Trudeau reacted to the appointment of of Maj.-Gen. Peter Dawe to the sexual misconduct file and the subsequent decision to rescind his appointment. Dawe provided a positive character reference to an officer who was convicted of sexually assaulting another soldier.

Is he wrong?