• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Bruce Monkhouse

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Actually Mr. Dawe probably would have done a fantastic job just because he got so burned by this incident,......kind of like a reformed smoker, or a born-again Christian, etc.

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Then why the hesitancy to see someone like Carignan be a key player in this, and instead some Col or BGen? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Genuine question. Doesn’t that effectively dismiss her (Carignan) potential contribution to help rectify the situation?
This is what I don't understand, thought this review was literally her job, and why they created the position. I thought appointing Dawe to lead this effectively undermined her primary stated purpose.

New military lead aims to change culture of sexual misconduct​

The military’s new Chief of Professional Conduct and Culture told MPs that her priorities are to review and improve the complaint system for dealing with sexual misconduct in the Forces, and to foster an environment where these abuses no longer happen.

Lieutenant-General Jennie Carignan, who began the position in April, said on Tuesday that a review of the complaint process is necessary in order to determine how things should be fixed. She said the current system that deals with sexual misconduct needs to be improved so that it is centralized, efficient and more visible, and so there’s a standard process in place to respond to such incidents.

New military lead aims to change culture of sexual misconduct

Takeniteasy

Reaction score
I must be the devil incarnate to some of you folk riding that high horse......over the last 16 years of my career I've written hundreds of referrals supporting child molesters, sex offenders, drug dealers, wife beaters, etc. as long as they showed, to myself and the social work team, that they were trying to sort themselves out.
A letter can make the difference between help for the affliction/mental illness and rotting away to cause more havoc someday. As for those who think they would never hang out with "these kind" of people, well guess what, you are. You'd be amazed at the places I've seen ex-cons work once they are out. They don't all look like they should be on "Oz".

This kind of publicity is actually the worst thing that could happen to the convicted, they end up getting more time/fines/ conditions and doing way more of their sentences, non-famous folk get parole waaaaaaaaaay sooner then you really want to know.
Convicts cost money.....
I have read your response a number of times and am still trying to wrap my thoughts around it. How about providing context as to what role you were engaged in and leaving out the high horse comments with regards to this discussion. We are talking about members who are all part of the CoC (CAF is a very small institution that does big things) with one who violently attacked another member. I can only assume how you have become involved with referrals but I believe there is a big difference between what the MG did and being part of an external judicial review team that is determining mitigating factors from outside and not within.

I do not believe the issue is his position in providing referrals but the fact that he did so without regard for the victims is telling, this is not some tiny miss step but evidence in what others who have, tried, never came forward are faced with. When it comes down to it, is this not why the Deschamp report was given and why we are now going through a second review? If you cant address the barriers in the administrative mechanisms first then how does CAF expect to right the attitudes or perpetuation of them?

PS: I believe the victims go through further trauma when having to face justifications or mitigations from those you directly work with.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Is he wrong?
Yup, he sure is.

He portrays it as a CAF/them/they thing…
"It is obvious that despite the work the military has done, despite the work that we have done, the military still doesn't get that survivors need to be at the centre, and the unique priority of everything in regards to sexual misconduct and harassment in the military," Trudeau said.

"This shows they simply still don't get it."

He forgot to include himself in the blame game. He has done nothing to correct MND Sajjan’s horrendous, crappy negligent handling of the CAF. His arrogance knows no bounds — so incensed at the nature of LGen Frances Allen’s recommendation to Gen Eyre for MGen Dawe’s employment — while being an anti-paragon himself. He has absolutely zero credibility to critique anyone, from both a poor leader point of view and a sexual harasser himself.

Perhaps he should direct Sajjan to fire Eyrw and Allen whil he’s giving Sajjan his pink slip?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Is he wrong?

Publicly dissing a part of his ship that he's supposed to have a grip on after being in power since 2015?

That's kind of like a CO standing up in front of the media and complaining about 'those assholes in Charlie Company who are ruining it for everyone esle.'

More like shooting himself in the foot I would say.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Is he wrong?
He is wrong. He's the pot calling the kettle black. He has no moral high ground here.

Most of you if not all of you understand and practice the Principles of Leadership. Maybe we're not always successful but for the most part we are. It is quite obvious the majority of the current GoC could give a sh!t about them.

The PM has no business commenting. In fact it angers me that he has commented when his government was willing to obstruct justice, award their friends with a billion dollar deal, threw an respected Admiral under the bus among other things. Yet Canadians are blinded to this.

I fervently hope a national media figure throws this in his face at the next press conference.

Last edited:

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
With whom, specifically…2-leafs I guess we’re talking now? You seem to think the role ‘only’ needs a 4-ring/1-leaf and that the 3-leaf women are otherwise too busy doing other things…

Then just 5d/5f Dawe?
I might get flamed here but I will accept it. I have known Pete Dawe for more than 15 years. He is one of the most forthright, honest, and practical officers I have ever met. He is also intensely loyal, to his colleagues, subordinates, and CoC.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I might get flamed here but I will accept it. I have known Pete Dawe for more than 15 years. He is one of the most forthright, honest, and practical officers I have ever met. He is also intensely loyal, to his colleagues, subordinates, and CoC.

Which subordinates ? Victims or perps ?

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
What drives me especially crazy about all this is the whole review still seems to be going nowhere. The last report was pretty straightforward, we don't really need yet another judicial review to start moving out on some of those recommendations.