• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Mercedes Stephenson is reporting she has a direct eyewitness to the alleged Adm McDonald sexual assault, and that said witness did report to CFNIS.

Season 1 Omg GIF by Friends

kev994

Reaction score

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
So…. Does this mean that his ‘vindication’ was actually CFNIS realizing that they can’t charge someone of his rank so they’re wasting their time investigating?
Happened with Vance so I guess so? Only way I could possibly see a CDS being charged now is if the Governor General was a former Judge. As head of state and the armed forces the GG, if possessing a legal background could have authority. I'm just thinking out loud and it probably doesn't work like that though.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Happened with Vance so I guess so? Only way I could possibly see a CDS being charged now is if the Governor General was a former Judge. As head of state and the armed forces the GG, if possessing a legal background could have authority. I'm just thinking out loud and it probably doesn't work like that though.
Charged under the NDA, yeah. Basically no mechanism for that. His rank or appointment would not protect him from criminal charges in a hypothetical case where those could be substantiated.

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
Charged under the NDA, yeah. Basically no mechanism for that. His rank or appointment would not protect him from criminal charges in a hypothetical case where those could be substantiated.
Didn’t the alleged event happen in Iceland? How would a CCC charge work?

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Half the upcoming courts martial are for sexual assault. We aren’t just talking an historical issue here.

That's quite a shopping list of wrongdoing. It's hard to say the military isn't taking these things serious and not taking disciplinary action.

One can always do better but, if anything, this shows things are being done.
So…. Does this mean that his ‘vindication’ was actually CFNIS realizing that they can’t charge someone of his rank so they’re wasting their time investigating?
That's always the way I took it with the firmness of Lt(N) Macdonald's reports.

That begs the question on where does the CF stand on fixing the legislative structure to provide a way of charging and trying very high senior staff and military judges? It's been years since the issue came to the forefront?

🍻

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
That's quite a shopping list of wrongdoing. It's hard to say the military isn't taking these things serious and not taking disciplinary action.

One can always do better but, if anything, this shows things are being done.

That's always the way I took it with the firmness of Lt(N) Macdonald's reports.

That begs the question on where does the CF stand on fixing the legislative structure to provide a way of charging and trying very high senior staff and military judges? It's been years since the issue came to the forefront?

🍻
Bring back the Firing Squad.
Seriously - if the CDS fucks up that bad (n) it is a great example that would encourage others...

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Bring back the Firing Squad.
Seriously - if the CDS fucks up that bad (n) it is a great example that would encourage others...
That would have worked once. The CSD had capital punishment long after it was removed from the CCC.

Unfortunately :giggle: you can't have punishment without a trial and since he can't be tried ... he can't be shot.

🍻

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

and the story drops, so the story was backed up by the Duty O, and others, but the Admiral has said the statements were "uncorroborated", this is as big of a PR nightmare as Vance, if not worse. Actually never mind it is worse cause Two CDS's cannot be charged under the NDA for sexual offenses because our system has no way to put them on trial. Making them above the law, pretty sure we have now lost all credibility to investigate anything our selves.

Last edited:

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score

and the story drops, so the story was backed up by the Duty O, and others, but the Admiral has said the statements were "uncorroborated", this is as big of a PR nightmare as Vance, if not worse. Actually never mind it is worse cause Two CDS's cannot be charged under the NDA for sexual offenses because our system has no way to put them on trial. Making them above the law, pretty sure we have now lost all credibility to investigate anything our selves.

I saw the coverage on Global tonight. I'm pretty sure they were saying 'collaborated' when they meant 'corroborated', which was interesting in a malapropistic kind of way.

Regardless, I thought that Lt (N) Macdonald showed great courage.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Didn’t the alleged event happen in Iceland? How would a CCC charge work?
Also apparently an issue with VAdm Edmundson’s alleged rape of MS(Retd) Stéphanie Viau in Nov 1991 on board PRO while in port at Pearl Harbour, HI.

Not sure how NDA s.130 wouldn’t work if CCC deemed unusable?

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Also apparently an issue with VAdm Edmundson’s alleged rape of MS(Retd) Stéphanie Viau in Nov 1991 on board PRO while in port at Pearl Harbour, HI.

Not sure how NDA s.130 wouldn’t work if CCC deemed unusable?
Forgive my ignorance (truly)

But if the incident happened onboard a Canadian warship, would the CCC not still apply even if the ship happens to be deployed?

And if not the Criminal Code of Canada, would local laws not be the ones applied?

(I’d have just assumed that as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, if I sexually assaulted another member, while onboard a Royal Canadian Navy ship, that the Criminal Code of Canada would still apply to me.)

I’m sure there has to be a clearly stated policy of what to do when criminal offences allegedly occur outside of Canada by CAF members, outside of just the NDA.