• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Police have been writing down what they do and who they contact since police and pencils were invented. If a copper encounters a bunch of youths hanging around the back of a strip mall at 0300, I think it is reasonable that the community expect that s/he speak to them and jot down their particulars, even though no crime is apparent. That used to happen with much regularity, but because of abuses by some and the bureaucratic response, both the proactive contact and record-keeping is now much diminished in many jurisdictions.

L.A. Times of 13 March 1996, pp. B-1 & 3): A “distressed Mayor Richard Riordan...said it was vexing to learn that LAPD is now making 100,000 fewer arrests, issuing over 200,000 fewer citations, and conducting over 20,000 fewer field interviews per year.”

That was Los Angeles in 1996 - post Rodney King.

Not sure how that would compare to Canada as we approach 2022.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I watched from home; the comments on the live stream seemed to suggest the words of the DM were the ones that seemed as genuine and meaningful.

The CDS translator didn't seem to be "top of his class" and I wonder if the translation was complete and accurate.

lenaitch

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
That was Los Angeles in 1996 - post Rodney King.

Not sure how that would compare to Canada as we approach 2022.
Street checks/field interview/carding, etc. I didn't bother to run down the before/after data - it's out there because the Ontario government mandated data collection because, you know, that's the most important aspect - but anecdotally, the bottom fell out of contacts when the rules were changed in 2016.

Humphrey Bogart

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Part of the class action settlement for Heyder Beattie.

The Final Settlement Agreement (FSA) for the case gives context and some info on restorative engagement.

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I think it was a wise move to point out that culture change takes time, and by giving a reasonable timeline they are setting themselves up for success.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
With sufficiently draconian and invasive policies, DND can fix itself. But the proper fix starts at the source: Canada, and the politicians that govern it.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
We can tell people what is acceptable. We can tell them how to act and how to behave. We can't make them conform. No amount of training will prevent true deviants from behaving badly. We can only deal with the situation afterwards, unfortunately. The best we can hope for is a reduction in the number of incidents. This is the reality we have to accept. Sadly, someone will wind up getting hurt, despite our best efforts.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Very true. Difference between us and Canadian society in general is we can fine employees for not polishing boots, having messy hair, or telling our boss to piss off. Maybe even incarcerate them.

We should be in a better position to deal with misogynistic language and behavior than the public, no?

Part of the class action settlement for Heyder Beattie.

The Final Settlement Agreement (FSA) for the case gives context and some info on restorative engagement.

I'll have to take a look at that FSA. When restorative engagement came up about GenDawe I read up on it. To me it looks like people talking about their feelings and what happened to them. It could very well be a measure of healing for victims but it also seems like a big exercise in "we hear you, we're listening".

I may be missing something big but I don't see restorative engagement changing a single thing culture wise. Maybe I'll have a different opinion after I research more though.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Very true. Difference between us and Canadian society in general is we can fine employees for not polishing boots, having messy hair, or telling our boss to piss off. Maybe even incarcerate them.

We should be in a better position to deal with misogynistic language and behavior than the public, no?

We should be able to, for sure. I just wish the general public and CAF, as well, would remember the CAF didn’t create them from scratch. We get them when they are well on their way to being some form of adult…