• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shetland Island (population: 1) declares independence from the UK

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Ummm okayyyy... :-\

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080621/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_island_independence;_ylt=AqLMhYPvnahM6zuyTiiMAuWs0NUE

By Kate Kelland Sat Jun 21, 12:19 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - The owner of a tiny island in off Scotland declared its independence from the United Kingdom on Saturday, saying he wanted the territory, population one, to be a crown dependency like the Channel Islands.

In a declaration on his Web site, Stuart Hill, who owns the 2.5 acre island of Forvik in the Shetland Islands in the North Sea, said he no longer recognised the authority of the government or the European Union, and cited a centuries-old royal marriage dowry deal as the basis for his claim.

"Forvik owes no allegiance to any United Kingdom government, central or local, and is not bound by any of its statutes," Hill wrote.

Hill, 65, has lived in the Shetland Islands on the edge of the Atlantic since 2001, when his boat capsized there during an unsuccessful attempted to circumnavigate Britain.

He is Forvik's only resident, and his home is a tent on the storm-battered island. He says on his website that he plans to create Forvik's own currency -- the "gulde" -- print his own stamps and raise his own flag.

"There will be no income tax, VAT (value added tax), council tax, corporation tax, or any of the other taxes instituted by the British government," Hill wrote.

Hill's claim dates back to a 15th century arrangement between the Norwegian King Christian and King James III of Scotland when the Shetland Islands were effectively pawned to King James in lieu of a marriage dowry.

According to Hill's studies of the history of the island, in 1669 King Charles II re-confirmed Shetland's status at the time of the pawning, meaning the islands remained directly answerable to the crown -- represented today by the Queen.

"The monarchs and governments of Scotland, and Great Britain and the United Kingdom have for many years assumed powers over these islands of Shetland to which they were not entitled," he wrote.

"By declaring Forvik a crown dependency I am simply re-establishing the correct legal relationship between this part of Shetland and the crown.

Hill said he had written to the Queen offering his services as "steward" and recognising her as head of state.

"I also invite anyone from any country in the world, who supports these aims, namely to become free of liars, thieves and tyrants in government, to become a citizen of Forvik," he added.

Well I guess if he does end up getting independence about thirty years from now we might see the first country in the world to disappear because no one lives there anymore.

Live alone without human contact for long enough and you'd probably start doing crazy things as well.  ;)

Hey look  no taxes  no hospital no fire department ,  also he lives in a tent according to the article  but maneges to have a website .  Yeah that shows where the priorities are .  All I can say is some where in the English Parliament some MP must be laughing his backside off . 

I'm amazed a Walmart's not already there....

Baker said:
What about Starbucks?

Baker

That was actually my first choice, but I notice Tim's may be trying to muscle in....  ;)

milnewstbay said:
That was actually my first choice, but I notice Tim's may be trying to muscle in....  ;)
True.

I'd prefere Tim's though, even if I've never even seen a Starbucks in my life :D

Baker

Move to Sealand ladies and gents ... at least that self-declared micro-nation has a history and a newsletter!!

ArmyVern said:
Move to Sealand ladies and gents ... at least that self-declared micro-nation has a history and a newsletter!!

Interesting marketing challenge for Sealand.....
Sealand_fortress.jpg

"Come by, where nobody'll bug you?"

At the risks of hi-jacking this thread the story reminds me of a 1982  CBC As It Happens program item.  They interviewed this BC peacenik and survivalist who, obsessed by what he assessed as the imminent prospect of global war and apocalypse, researched what he determined to be the safest habitably developed place on the planet and moved his family there.  The place - the Falkland Islands  2 or 3 months before the Argentinian invasion :-[

I don't see why some people think this way.  I would be very lonely if I did not belong to a Country with other people.  You take pride in where you are from, and can relate to others who are also from there.  Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Shec,

That individual, who had been a reservist at one time, distinguished himself after the Argentinian invasion by passing information to the British by overseas telephone about the enemy forces. Sorry for the hijack, but he was a gutsy guy.

Old Sweat said:
Shec,

That individual, who had been a reservist at one time, distinguished himself after the Argentinian invasion by passing information to the British by overseas telephone about the enemy forces. Sorry for the hijack, but he was a gutsy guy.

I stand corrected, thanks :salute:

Ex-Dragoon said:
maybe Tim Hortons can open its first British franchise. :)
Tim's is already in the UK, so sayeth my donut eating brethren in London anyway.  :cdn:

Back