• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sleep Issues on course [MERGED]

Penguin1994 said:
As a test I am trying to wake up at 5am and fall asleep at 11pm everyday for the next 3 months. I am only a few days in and already I am having a hard time with this routine. I can function on little sleep so long as am I able to make up for it later on but from what I've read it seems as though you never get the chance to catch up on sleep while at BMQ.

I've always thought that trying to specifically train to be sleep deprived (or uncomfortable) was somewhat stupid, but others probably smarter (despite a propensity for checking that socks and underwear met regulations) and definitely higher ranking than me believed otherwise.  Trying to get into the sleep routine that you may expect at BMQ would likely be impossible unless you also follow the full routine and schedule (physical activity, meals, etc) that accompany that sleep routine.

The best advice that you can take (besides not snoring when you doze off in a dark theatre as per D&B's post . . . are lights even extinguished anymore during presentations . . . it's not like the dark ages when we sat through actual "projected films") is to sleep normally until you get to St. Jean and then just follow the schedule.  If you can get all the things done that need to be done before lights out, good, and then go ground.  If you are one of those people who have trouble waking early in the morning unless you have your full eight hours (or more), don't worry, there's always someone there to gently rouse you from your slumber.  Simple answer, don't worry.  That's what basic is  for, to expose you to the military's expectations.  Besides, it's only three months (or so), luxury.

Small addition:

- if/when recruits are allowed away from the Mega as training progresses (after the Indoc period), it's not uncommon for them to say, get a room at the Comfort Inn or in the city, stuff like that.  If you are on Leave for the weekend and allowed to remain off base overnight, that is when you can (safely) sleep in. 

Testing yourself for X time before BMQ...pros and cons.  It might help you adjust some, it might put you in a sleep deficit before you even grace the Green Doors with your presence.  Like PT, don't over do it.  Also, remember...being tired and pushing thru it more mental then physical (IMO).  Don't ruin your last few days/weeks of *freedom* running your own personal pre-BMQ course at home.  Enjoy life, do you have those recent memories to look back on when you find yourself embracing the Suck.

Hi,

I'm leaving for Mod 2 of my DP1 in a few days and I have heard that there is a portion where you are forced to stay awake for 72 hours straight. Wanted to see if this was true or if it is exaggerated.

Thanks.

You're not forced to stay awake so much as that there's always something going on like patrols, recce, defending your trench line from attack that you get very little sleep while in the field.

Ontario23 said:
Hi,

I'm leaving for Mod 2 of my DP1 in a few days and I have heard that there is a portion where you are forced to stay awake for 72 hours straight. Wanted to see if this was true or if it is exaggerated.

Thanks.

An important part of infantry training is learning how to go for long periods of time on cat naps. Seriously.

It’s not a P.O. check but it should be.

You won't be able to stay awake the whole time either. You are going to go in and out of conciousness with micro sleep. The thing about sleep dep is that it actually makes you care less. When I was sleep dep'd I was a lot less stressed out and the course went by quicker.

For Sleep Deprivation on course, see also,

The Sleep Superthread
https://army.ca/forums/threads/82.75
5 pages.

Back