• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Social Insurance Cards

readytogo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Thought it may be a good idea to drop this piece of info to any applicants who may be a little bit older and have burned through the original SIN card they got when they were younger (my card suffered a horrible death after years of staying in the same pocket in my wallet).....before you go to swear in get a new one ordered from your local government service center!!!  I just spoke to my reserve recruiter yesterday and he said he needs to see a physical card and photocopy it!!! good thing i emailed him.  The forms to fill out are the same as you did when you were a kid and its  a 10 dollar fee.  It may save you some headaches later on!!

my :2c:
RTG :cdn:

I just did my swearing in yesterday, and I did not bring my SIN card as it was burnt up in a recent house fire. I didn`t even have it when I applied.. I just gave them the number and they were happy with it.

MynerC said:
I just did my swearing in yesterday, and I did not bring my SIN card as it was burnt up in a recent house fire. I didn`t even have it when I applied.. I just gave them the number and they were happy with it.

Unfortunately, you will eventually be called upon to produce it.

I went into get a replacement ordered yesterday, I had to produce an official birth certificate and as it turns out there was a clerical error on my birth certificate and my registration number was not printed and they were unable to accept it.  The clerk at the office was kind enough to give me a stamped government paper indicating my SIN number which will apparently suffice until i can get the new one in from BC

RTG :cdn:

At least it's only a $10 fee and not an absolute cash grab like the $40+ for a papr birth certificate copy that you're not allowed to laminate and gradually crumbles forcing you to spend a grand total of 10 x $40 = $400 in your life for a total of one 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

I put all my important papers in a plastic page holder, into a binder, which gives them a "longer life".  As per my Social Insurance Card, I've been pretty lucky... it is in excellent condition but I've heard of horrors story when the time comes to replace these for lost or stolen etc...

;)

Alea

Do yourself a favour and get a small safe / firebox and put your SIN card and other important documents (Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, etc...) in it. It will keep them safe and secure, and you know where they are at all times.  Why people carry their birth certs and SIN cards in their wallets beats thet hell out of me.  How often do you really need to produce them??  Not very often I suspect.  If you loose your wallet, you run the risk of loosing more than the $10.00 - 50.00  to replace them.  You could loose your identity.

Found that out the hard way when I lost my wallet.  The old Alberta birth certificates you could carry in your wallet.  You weren't allowed to laminate them, but they came with a plastic sleeve.  I eventually got my wallet back more than 6 months later due to a good samaritan.  No money, but everything else was there.  One doesn't realize how difficult it is to obtain new ID, when you don't have any to identify yourself as yourself, until you have to go through that situation.  Having learned my lesson, I only carry what's necessary, even going as far as having duplicates.

Petamocto said:
At least it's only a $10 fee and not an absolute cash grab like the $40+ for a papr birth certificate copy that you're not allowed to laminate and gradually crumbles forcing you to spend a grand total of 10 x $40 = $400 in your life for a total of one 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

I agree, it's pretty rotten sometimes haha.

Back