• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier found guilty of rape wants to serve in Afghanistan

ark

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry but I only have the article in French:

Le 9 février dernier, Pierre Olivier Boulet a été reconnu coupable d'agression sexuelle sur une jeune femme de 18 ans.

Les événements sont survenus sur la côte de Beaupré en juin 2004.

La victime qui avait consommé une forte quantité d'alcool était allée se coucher seule dans sa chambre.

Boulet y était entré et en avait profité pour l'agresser sexuellement, sans avoir pris les moyens nécessaires pour s'assurer de son consentement.

Aujourd'hui âgée de 21 ans, elle souhaite voir son agresseur derrière les barreaux.

Ce matin (vendredi), l'avocat de Boulet qui veut lui éviter un casier judiciaire, a réclamé pour lui une absolution inconditionnelle.

C'est ce que le soldat souhaite partir en mission en Afghanistan au cours des prochains mois.

Dans sa plaidoirie sur sentence, l'avocat de la Couronne a demandé au juge si Pierre Olivier Boulet était le genre de soldat que l'armée canadienne voulait voir servir en Afghanistan.

Le juge a pris la cause en délibéré.

http://www.tqs.ca/infos/quebec/2007/05/Un-militaire-reconnu-coupable-d-agression-sexuelle-veut-servir-en-Afghanistan--5857.php

Short translation:

A man (CF member), who was found guilty of rape, is trying to get a verdict without getting a criminal record so he can serve in Afghanistan.

The Crown attorney is asking the judge if this man is the type of soldier CF wants to see serve in Afghanistan.

Last time i checked rape was a serious felony crime, how does this person think he will get off with out a criminal record, the only place he will be or should be going to is a jail cell with the other degenerates.

The crown attorney is right, we don't need this kind in the military, let alone in Afghanistan. That's the reason we have prisons.

Sexual Assault -

Okay my french sucks
  The 18year old girl drank a shit load - and passed out -- he entered and
This is where I am fuzzy
is the argument he did not have consent -- or she was too drunk to give consent.

I'm not clear enough on what happend/alledged to have happen to pass judgement.
* In no way am I okaying a rape -- I just want to be sure that what is described -- not a girl waking up with a hangover an accusing the guy beside her of rape...

I don't know about this guy, too little data....

But, I daresay, there have been many moments and situations where after a night of partying, at least some of us have been in the position of not being able to defend against the claim of rape/assault based simply on the inability to remember the night before, after a certain point.

I just started my year long french course (currently BAA) so not an expert but what I read there is that he failed to get consent. She had gone to bed alone after drinking a lot and he came into the room and took advantage of her drunken state, He was found guilty and she would like to see him behind bars. He wants to serve a tour in KAF and the Crown is asking  the judge whether this is the kind of character we want representing us.

Like most here I'm not sure we have enough info. I've seen some guys railroaded big time when they were out partying and thought that all was well until the police showed up and cuffed them and took them in to be processed.
Niner Domestic if she's reading this would be a good one to comment as this is her "part ship."

It reads " he didn't take the nessesary means to ensure there was consent"

Bruce Monkhouse said:
It reads " he didn't take the nessesary means to ensure there was consent"

Interesting way to say it. I'm sure the legal beagles can interpret that from legalize to english even further.

Infidel-6 said:
Sexual Assault -

Okay my french sucks
  The 18year old girl drank a shit load - and passed out -- he entered and
This is where I am fuzzy
is the argument he did not have consent -- or she was too drunk to give consent.

I'm not clear enough on what happend/alledged to have happen to pass judgement.
* In no way am I okaying a rape -- I just want to be sure that what is described -- not a girl waking up with a hangover an accusing the guy beside her of rape...

You and I are thinking the same. My french is a bit better now since I just got off ex with the Vandoos.

But yeah... I believe it is sexual assault, not rape written on the site. Is there anymore details of this news?

Regards,
TN2IC

The gent was not in the military when this happened
The minute the cops came a calling, he went straight to his CoC & told his side of story
Apparently, the gent had a snootfull of booze - to go along with her's
Nuff to say that his version of the events didn't get a positive response from the courts.
Setencing to follow....

geo said:
The gent was not in the military when this happened
The minute the cops came a calling, he went straight to his CoC & told his side of story
Apparently, the gent had a snootfull of booze - to go along with her's
Nuff to say that his version of the events didn't get a positive response from the courts.
Setencing to follow....

Sorry Geo,
              but can you clear the air here on your statement. Referring to, "the gent was not in the military when this happened."
Was he Reg/PRes? Off duty I am guessing. I am sure the courts didn't response positive to him as well.

Oh well, mess with fire, and you"re going to get burnt.

Regards,
TN2IC

I am very anxious to get our niner domestic's comments on this, she is amazing.
However, I've been biting my tongue ...upon reading some of the recruiting process posts, I notice (and this is solely based on what I read and maybe not factual) that some people are worried about being accepted in the CF because of bad credit or some such thing (and I COMPLETELY understand the "reliability" issue), but this guy's "error in judgement" as it were, in my estimation, is a way bigger concern.  I am in no way condemning him or condoning his or the young lady in question's behavior, whether there was "consent" or not. The court will give its ruling, but, I would like to think that the CF aspires to a much higher level of personna than this fellow.

My (still) civilian (dammit) 2¢
D2

TN2IC
This happened prior to his enrollment.

D Squared said:
I am in no way condemning him or condoning his or the young lady in question's behavior, whether there was "consent" or not. The court will give its ruling, but, I would like to think that the CF aspires to a much higher level of personna than this fellow.

I believe some long-haired hippy carpenter said, a long time ago, something like "let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone." I'm sure you've had a lapse in judgement at least once where that lapse could have resulted in injury or criminal charges; pretty much everyone has had a lapse of judgement. If we keep everyone who hasn't had an absolutely perfect history out of the forces, we're going to have a military composed of nuns and extremely bored people.

Do I excuse his actions? No. That doesn't mean I don't want him in the military--not that I want him in, either. What it does mean is that anyone can make mistakes, especially when alcohol is involved. Furthermore, we don't know any level of details in the incident. Did she tell him, drunkedly, to come meet her later, forgot about it, and when he stumbled, drunk, in bed with her, he thought he did have conscent? Maybe the guy was absolutely perfect and this is the only time he's ever had a lapse in judgement. What exactly, pray tell, does the "high level of persona" that we (who's we, anyway?) want in the CF constitute?

This is getting rather convoluted with every post.

This happened three years ago, when she was 18.  How old was he at the time?

We don't see much in the way of facts in this article.  It is too brief and lacking in details for any of us to make any "judgement", so we should leave all our speculation out of our posts. 

I guess that more or less sums up this topic.  ;D

ark said:
Sorry but I only have the article in French

I'll try a translation of the 9 sentences...

Last February 9, Pierre Olivier Boulet was found guilty of sexual agression on a young woman of 18 years old.
The facts happen on the ''Beaupré hill'' in june 2004.
The victim who had absorb a large quantity of alcool had gone to bed alone in her room.
Boulet entered the room and take the occasion to sexually agress her. without him taking the nessesary means to ensure there was consent
Today aged 21 years old, she wihs  to see her agressor behind bars.
This morning (friday), the lawyer of Boulet who want his client to escape aving a criminal record,
has  asked for him for an aboslution without any conditions.
It's because the soldier wants to go to Afghanistan in the next few months.

In his speach about the sentence, the Crown attorney is asking the judge if Pierre Olivier Boulet is the type of soldier CF wants to see serve in Afghanistan.

The judge has taken the cause in ''délibéré'' (he's thinking about the case).

It is effectively a short article.

Freddy G said:
Maybe the guy was absolutely perfect and this is the only time he's ever had a lapse in judgement. What exactly, pray tell, does the "high level of persona" that we (who's we, anyway?) want in the CF constitute?
Freddy, you know what? Good points.  And no, I could never cast the first stone...and what I meant by "high level of persona" is only my take  (the "we") on what I've been led to believe the CF is looking for.  Gee, maybe I should learn to relax a little...I may still have a chance.

The only additional thing that I will say on this subject is that, it is not all cut and dried / black & white.
While there is probably some blame to share, he is the one who did the deed & ends up holding the cheque

While he is not a bad soldier, the career manglers will decide on his fate once the court decides on his fate.

We have a recruit here in St Jean that has been charged with multiple B&E's. This happened prior to his enrollement and he wasn't charged until after he had started his BMQ. He was aware however that he had broken the law before his enrollment. As far as I know he did not come forward with this information before he arrived for training. This is considered an irregular enrolment and technically he can be released from the CF on these grounds. What ever this other young man did, it is pretty sure that if he was found guilty, he will receive a severe sentence and will most likely wind up with a criminal record. Whether he did this deliberatly or just had too much to drink is really irrelevant. One of the most important thing that most kids today are unable to realize is that for every decision we make in life there are consquences. He now has to deal with the consequences that arise from his decision.It's all well and good to think that you are hooking up with some young hottie and are going to have a good time, but if you are drinking hard and jump into bed with her and she is passed out or sleeping then common sense dictates that you exit stage left and leave her the f___k alone. As a father of two girls, I personnaly would like to see this guy in prison and released from the CF. He is definitly not what we want representing us in KAF.
Thanks for listening.
Feet.  :cdn:

But a 3 year wait period before action was taken? Would that sound right? Was there any police action right after the assault? If so, what?

I am not defending this guy, but it does make you think.

:-\

What used to be the criteria that a judge gave the guilty the option of jail or serving a stint in the military?

Back