• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier that Refused to deploy

bigcletus

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm having a memory alert here:  Does anyone recall hearing about a Que-based soldier refusing to board the plane to Afghanistan?  I know (or think I do) I saw that somewhere, maybe 3-5 years ago. 
(I hope I posted this in the correct forum).
Thanks

bigcletus said:
I'm having a memory alert here:  Does anyone recall hearing about a Que-based soldier refusing to board the plane to Afghanistan?  I know (or think I do) I saw that somewhere, maybe 3-5 years ago. 
(I hope I posted this in the correct forum).
Thanks

This may, or may not, be the case you are referring to. If so, his name comes up in several threads:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/50044/post-441712.html#msg441712

... and the thing about Mr Juarez is that he did not refuse to go to Afghanistan.  He was a reservist who chose never to volunteer, and then made a lot of noise to attract media attention as he misrepresented his situation to suggest he was refusing a deployment.  He had no pending deployment to refuse.

MCG said:
... and the thing about Mr Juarez is that he did not refuse to go to Afghanistan.  He was a reservist who chose never to volunteer, and then made a lot of noise to attract media attention as he misrepresented his situation to suggest he was refusing a deployment.  He had no pending deployment to refuse.
He also failed to pass CAP, as I recall.

What a coward. And from his last name I assume he is from Spanish descent. What a shame for us with Spanish background. Why would you join something that is so clear, and then run away like a coward? Some people really disappoint me.

Depends on the motivations of the person who joins.

Many of the American deserters who came to Canada and claimed "refugee" status were quite happy to join the US Army for pay, benefits, training, education etc., but when Uncle Sam came to claim the bill, they ran from their obligations.

Whatever his motivations were, I cannot say. You may speculate, but that is all it will be.

Back