• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

sore knee

ab136

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been running for most of my life and today I incurred a problem I have never had before and I was looking for some input.  I went out for a run this morning, 5 miles, not an excess by any means.  About 4 miles in my knee tightened up to a point I had to stop and walk and even then the tightness was still present. I walked home and the "pain-tightness" is till there. I'm going to soak in hot water for a while to try an loosen it up.  I have had injuries before but I have never experienced this feeling before; and it worries me. Any ideas? ???

Stay off it and see a doctor instead of seeking advice from non-medical lay persons on the internet?

Hey I was just looking for some input.  I was looking for "advice" from possibly a runner who might have had the same or similar incidents ::)

heat it, if the heat doesnt do away with the pain, try to ice it, give it a day or so to see if the pain goes away on its own, if the pain isnt gone in a few days go see a doctor, thats what i would do, the ultimate choice, is up to you my friend.  :)

Had my knee check out and its Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Runners Knee.  Just thought I would post incase someone had same problem.

Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday.

ITB is a common running injury often heralded by tightness and pain on the outside of the knee. Occasionally it begins with a slight pop during stride, but as opposed to other more serious injuries that pop, there is no laxity in the knee.

So you should be away from running for about 4 weeks now.

See? I gave good advice.

Any time you're injured, don't agravate it, see a doctor. Simple.

Words to live by "Just a Sig Op".  I guess the obvious is sometimes the best answer :salute:

Jaxson said:
heat it, if the heat doesnt do away with the pain, try to ice it, give it a day or so to see if the pain goes away on its own, if the pain isnt gone in a few days go see a doctor, thats what i would do, the ultimate choice, is up to you my friend.   :)

Uhm..Wrong. Do not heat a new injury. Injury causes inflamation which is heat and swelling. To add move would not help, and cause more pain. Cold, 10-20 minutes max, every 1-2 hrs, for 24-48 hrs as well as rest, elevating the injured part, and occasionally compression. Other wise known as RICE treatment. Also a NSAID like asprin or Motrin (Ibuprofen) for those without asthma or stomach problems (ulcers, GERD) will assist in pain relieve and reduce swelling.

Heat after 24-48 hrs, for the same time application as above, will assist in healing esp with muscular injuries.

That is acutally what I did,  RICE. The original post was ment to get at the "name",origin,cause of the initial problem.

Back