• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spectre (?) Ear Defenders

BDTyre

Reaction score
I'm looking for good ear defenders designed to fit under the helmet.  My RQ mentioned Spectre (not sure if that's spelled right) as a possibility, and told me that the arty use them.  I've also been told by an MO that there is a set in the system that protect against loud noises but allow a normal conversation to be carried on.  Does anyone have any more info on something like this?

I was issued Surefire EP3 Sonic Defenders during workup training. I'm not sure if its a NSN item, though. Work fairly well, block out most loud noises and allow comfortable conversation. Not too expensive as a personal purchase either.

At 1 RCHA we get issued Peltor headset (looks like the Tactical 6 model), I've seen them for sale at about $90 in hunting stores too.

Lerch - that might be what everyone was talking about.  PuckChase - I've had to those too, but I'm looking for the big ear muff style deffenders.  There are low profile ones that fit under the helmet, similar to the crew headsets in vehicles.

I use MSA Sordin Supreme Pro IV - Neckband. They fit the bill exactly. You might not like the price though.

Not bad in terms of pricing there RG all things considering.......

recceguy said:
I use MSA Sordin Supreme Pro IV - Neckband. They fit the bill exactly. You might not like the price though.

Price might not be an issue.  I've been told by Role 1/Health Svcs that I require max hearing protection. I just need someone there to clarify what exactly that means, and my RQ is willing to order whatever they decide is "maximum."  I've already been told by an MO in Role 1 KAF to hunt down this style of ear defender, so that probably counts for something.  Now I just have to get an MO here to agree.

Back