• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spruce Goose rides again

Dana381

Reaction score

So DARPA is trying to build a new plane to do what the Spruce Goose was built to do. History may not repeat itself but it sure rhymes.

I think what the article is referring to is the Soviet 'Ekranoplan'.

I wonder what kind of sea states a 'wings in ground effect' craft could handle and how much it would replace/compliment heavy lift aircraft in terms of strategic movement.

I wonder what kind of sea states a 'wings in ground effect' craft could handle and how much it would replace/compliment heavy lift aircraft in terms of strategic movement.
The article said up to sea state 5

The article was talking about the soviet ground effect planes but DARPA's idea is more similar to the H-4 Hercules (Spruce Goose). The H-4 never flew out of ground effect and some people wonder if it could have when fully loaded.

The soviet Lun was a missiles truck and not a heavy transport like the H-4.

Back