• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

St. Barbara's Day

Same to you. Celebrated our patron saint yesterday with the Regiment as today is Men's X-mas dinner. Good time had by all and only a few injuries during the hockey games. :cheers:

Happy St Barbara's Day to all my fellow Sappers and all Gunners everywhere.

Ubique and Chimo

Happy St. Barbara's Day to all the gunners out there and also (if I'm not mistaken) to all the engineers    :cheers:

And for a bit of a change, here are extracts from two of Kipling's best that seem appropriate to recall today. The first is from Ubique, which is about the gunners in South Africa, while the second is from the unofficial gunner anthem, the Screw Guns.

Ubique means that warnin' grunt the perished linesman knows,
When o'er 'is strung an' sufferin' front the shrapnel sprays 'is foes;
An' as their firin' dies away the 'usky whisper runs
From lips that 'aven't drunk all day: "The Guns! Thank Gawd, the Guns!"

For you all love the screw-guns -- the screw-guns they all love you!
    So when we call round with a few guns, o' course you will know what to do -- hoo! hoo!
    Jest send in your Chief an' surrender -- it's worse if you fights or you runs:
    You can go where you please, you can skid up the trees, but you don't get away from the guns!

And Happy St Barbara's Day to our Sapper comrades in arms too!

CHIMO! to all my Sapper brother and sisters.

UBIQUE! to all the Gunners...

Drunken gunners and thumperheads......what could possibly go wrong?

:cheers:

steph_3007 said:
Happy St. Barbara's Day to all the gunners out there and also (if I'm not mistaken) to all the engineers    :cheers:

Also the Patron Saint of Armorers, Gunsmiths and anyone who works with cannon and explosives.

[Kipling]

I have stated it plain, an' my argument's thus
("It's all one," says the Sapper),
There's only one Corps which is perfect -- that's us;
An' they call us Her Majesty's Engineers,
Her Majesty's Royal Engineers,
With the rank and pay of a Sapper!

[/Kipling]

Yes, Mr Hellyer, Her Majesty's Royal Canadian Engineers.  Got a problem with that???

Happy St. Barbara's Day, indeed!

Ubique

Back