• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stress cases climb sharply among Afghan mission vets

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Stress cases climb sharply among Afghan mission vets

By MURRAY BREWSTER The Canadian Press
Fri. Feb 29 - 7:32 AM

OTTAWA — The number of former soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress has more than tripled since Canada first deployed troops to Afghanistan, say new figures released by Veterans Affairs Canada.

With the country's involvement in the war set to continue until 2011, the numbers are only expected to get worse.
The rising tide of psychiatric disorders among relatively young men and women is the biggest challenge facing the system of veterans' care, which until recently had been geared toward geriatric issues, said Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson.

``It is the challenge of the future,'' he said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Of the 10,252 (Veterans Affairs) clients with a psychiatric condition, 63 per cent have a (post traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD) condition, said a briefing note prepared for Thompson last summer.

``Over the past five years, the number of clients with a psychiatric condition has tripled, increasing from 3,501 to 10,252; the number of clients with a PTSD condition has more than tripled, increasing from 1,802 to 6,504 as of March 31, 2007.''

The statistics represent those who are no longer serving in uniform. The Defence Department keeps its own, separate tally of members suffering from stress injuries.

Figures obtained last summer by The Canadian Press show that of 1,300 Canadian Forces members who served in Afghanistan since 2005, 28 per cent had symptoms suggestive of one or more mental-health problems. The numbers are based on post-deployment screening.

Of those, just over six per cent were possibly suffering from PTSD and another five per cent showed symptoms of major depression.

On Thursday, the Commons defence committee voted to hold hearings on the impact of post traumatic stress within the military, but at the insistence of Conservative MPs witnesses will be heard behind closed doors.

Both National Defence and Veterans Affairs have faced repeated warnings during the last year about the looming mental-health crisis.

``Without an aggressive response, many veterans have the potential to harm themselves or others,'' Veterans Affairs staff wrote in a note to Thompson.

``The earlier the intervention, greater the chances of recovery.''

The Conservatives responded in the 2007 federal budget with $9 million, allowing the veterans department to open five operational stress-injury clinics across the country. The new centres are in addition to the Defence Department's existing five stress clinics, which first began appearing in the late 1990s.

New Democrat defence critic Dawn Black says the measures taken to date have not been adequate.

``When they talk about support for our troops, the mental and social help they need, clearly it is not there,'' she said.

But Thompson said health-care professionals in both departments are working together, trying different early-intervention strategies, but getting around emotional barricades erected by most soldiers has proven to be daunting.

``Many of them still suffer in silence,'' he said.

Senior commanders have acknowledged the reluctance of soldiers to come forward after they've experienced symptoms of stress injury.

Compounding the problem is a shortage of psychiatrists and other mental-health staff within the military.

The auditor general took issue with the shortage last fall, issuing a sharp rebuke saying the system cannot meet the growing demand.

``As a result, members are being sent to civilian private practitioners, where it is difficult for the department to monitor their care,'' Sheila Fraser said last October.

The military hopes to double the number mental-health staff by 2009, going to 447 from 229 at an estimated price tag of $98 million.

Prior to going overseas soldiers are given briefings that involve a psychiatrist, a social worker, and a mental-health nurse. Their services are also available at Kandahar Airfeld for troops in theatre.

Within four months of coming home there is post-deployment screening.

PTSD is a complicated condition that can involve nightmares, flashbacks, vivid memories, sleeping disorders, anger and substance abuse.

Article Link

MODS if you feel this is more appropriat in Military news forum please move it.

More from Dawn Black ...

Reports of domestic violence on rise among Canada's soldiers: MP

The Canadian military is receiving an increasing number of reports about soldiers acting out violently against their families, according to the NDP defence critic.
NDP defence critic Dawn Black says reports of domestic violence in the military have been increasing. (CBC)Dawn Black, who is also MP for New Westminster-Coquitlam in British Columbia, has been collecting serious incident reports filed with the Canadian Forces. They suggest violence in military families is increasing, she told CBC News.
"Certainly there's more reports of wife assault and angry soldiers exhibiting the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder after returning from Afghanistan," said Black.
"What I've found over the last many months is that there are many more — maybe even 50 per cent more — reports of post-traumatic stress disorder acting itself out in domestic violence."

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/09/11/soldiers-abuse.html

Hmm, increase in OP tempo, increase in combat related injuries and deaths, increase in combat = PTSD, isn't it a given??
:cdn:  Our soldiers deserve more than "nothing but the best" 
my $0.02

I agree that "nothing but the best" is still nothing if something isn't soon done about it. The cons have been promising the sky on the better treatment of vets for the past 2 1/2 years, but all we've seen so far has been nothing more tangible than a bunch of lip service.

retiredgrunt45 said:
I agree that "nothing but the best" is still nothing if something isn't soon done about it. The cons have been promising the sky on the better treatment of vets for the past 2 1/2 years, but all we've seen so far has been nothing more tangible than a bunch of lip service.

There are groups out there, prepared for this,  one group in particular that I have trumpetted on these forums www.OSISS.ca targets Operational Stress injuries in particular.  They have all systems in place to deal with these types of situation, with Peer support Co-ordinators, well trained in crisis prevention and councilling methods.

This group has been around since 2001, and is ablsoute no lip service.

dileas

tess

Isn't she supposed to be campaining, not complaining?

From Yesterday's Toronto Star

Mental toll on soldiers skyrockets

More than 1 in 5 returning from Afghanistan suffer psychiatric problems, documents show

April 14, 2009
ALLAN WOODS
OTTAWA BUREAU
OTTAWA – More than one in five Canadian soldiers and police officers deployed to Afghanistan leave the force with post-traumatic stress or other psychiatric problems, and that figure is rapidly rising, the Toronto Star has learned.

By the end of last month, the number of soldiers and police officers discharged from the military and RCMP for psychological strain after tours in Afghanistan had reached 1,053, representing an increase of more than 50 per cent from 2008, a spokesperson for Veterans Affairs Canada told the Star.

The increase had been predicted in documents released under the Access to Information Act.

They had revealed that as of April 2008, 700 Canadian soldiers and Mounties who had served on the Afghan front lines – 19 per cent of all forces deployed – had qualified for medical release from the Canadian Forces or RCMP with a "pensionable psychiatric condition," but warned of a dramatic hike in those numbers.

The government spokesperson, Janice Summerby, stressed that there is no way to know whether a psychiatric condition is a direct result of Canada's participation in the Afghan war or whether it stems from earlier deployments around the globe.

But the documents say that longer, multiple and more dangerous deployments "have led to an increase in the prevalence of operational stress injuries among the members of these organizations."

"Is it an epidemic? No," said retired Canadian colonel Don Ethell, head of the mental health advisory committee for the military and RCMP. "It's just finally a realization that in addition to physical injuries, the maimed and the injured and so forth, it's also a mental price that Canadians have to pay and many of them, and many of us, have paid that without knowing where to go."

Another reason for the jump appears to be an effort by the military and government to quickly identify and treat individuals with post-traumatic stress before their conditions worsen. Untreated cases in the past have resulted in tragic and horrifying cases of drug addiction, assault, rape and even suicide.

Still, the number of soldiers and Mounties released from service to seek psychological help has surprised even some of the most experienced observers of operational stress injuries.

"That does seem a little high, higher than I would have expected," said Joe Sharpe, a retired brigadier general who works on post-traumatic stress policy with Veterans Affairs.

The federal government has spent millions of dollars on clinics across the country to treat military and police veterans after years of criticism that it was failing those who risk their lives in the country's defence. But a December 2008 report by then-military ombudsman Mary McFadyen found some soldiers still not getting proper care. She also faulted the military for failing to create a national database to track the number of military personnel suffering psychological trauma and for delaying plans to hire hundreds of mental health experts to treat wounded soldiers.

Remote military bases in Gagetown, N.B., Shilo, Man., and Petawawa, Ont., where thousands of soldiers are currently returning home from Kandahar, have had particular difficulty attracting mental health experts.

But Sharpe disagreed with McFadyen's finding that admitting to having post-traumatic stress disorder was still a black mark on a soldier's record.

"It's no longer that badge of dishonour," he said.

The pages of the Petawawa Post, the military-run local newspaper, are plastered with advertisements for clinics on operational stress injury, a "Monday Meditation for the Warrior Mind," led by a military chaplain, and a course for children of deployed soldiers, "Kids have Stress Too."

Battle-scarred veterans are also sent to counsel soldiers returning from Kandahar on the signs and triggers of post-traumatic stress during a several-day rest stop in Cyprus before they return to meet their families back in Canada.

But a report about the Cyprus experience of soldiers shuttled through last August and September shows bureaucratic mix-ups may have meant substandard assistance was delivered to some soldiers and that some slipped through the cracks, according to a copy obtained by the Star.

The report cites some behaviour issues, such as rowdy soldiers being "injured in downtown establishments," leading to a 3 a.m. curfew. Hotel furniture was damaged, and the commanding officer noted "a growth in the number of visitors to the site, sometimes without a clear mandate."

But a good number of the 96 issues and recommendations in the military's analysis of what went right and what went wrong with the Cyprus operation relate to the shortcomings of the mental health supports set up for soldiers.

None of the mental health staff on the tour was trained in addiction counselling – a clear problem given that some troubled soldiers mask their problem with alcohol and drugs.

A staff psychologist had to leave before all the soldiers had rotated through the decompression zone, leaving the mental health team without one of its top experts. A number of soldiers were also not pre-screened for "psychosocial" problems before departing Kandahar, meaning some early warning signs may have gone unaddressed.

"Military members should be quickly screened by a (mental health) professional before they leave the theatre to briefly access their support needs during the (decompression) and their reintegration," the report says.

© Copyright Toronto Star 1996-2009

dileas

tess

Going out on a limb here...could it be that the significant increase in PTSD cases is the direct result of soldiers actually owning up to the fact that they may have a problem and not lying to the Mental Health professionals or on the surveys?

Given that we have been in a combat role since 05/06 I would also surmise that the stressors have been a bit higher than the preceding years as well.

Here's something to ponder as well...how do these stats compare to WW1/ WW2/ Korea vets returning home?

If they had the same system that we have now, would we see a similar trend?

I'm thinking that the results would be even more dramatic.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Going out on a limb here...could it be that the significant increase in PTSD cases is the direct result of soldiers actually owning up to the fact that they may have a problem and not lying to the Mental Health professionals or on the surveys?

Common sense would say you are more than likely correct.

But I am not sure when, in our military, sense became common....

There was an article in the Scientific American Magazine about PTSD diagnosis.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=post-traumatic-stress-trap

Soldiers' Stress: What Doctors Get Wrong about PTSD
A growing number of experts insist that the concept of post-traumatic stress disorder is itself disordered and that soldiers are suffering as a result

I think this article does a good job of describing what's happening here.

How many soldiers are creating a self fulfilling prophecy when we are all but told to expect to get ptsd after going to Afghanistan? Why not acknowledge most soldiers will have a lot of different symptoms, which may last for months and months, even years, but it still may not be ptsd?

As for the title of the thread, what do people expect? You go to war, you see some shit, you return with some extra baggage. I'm still dealing with "this baggage", but I don't have ptsd.

I think there are great support systems out there for our vets, and with what we are working with, the CF is doing a very good job.

Tipperary said:
There was an article in the Scientific American Magazine about PTSD diagnosis.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=post-traumatic-stress-trap

Soldiers' Stress: What Doctors Get Wrong about PTSD
A growing number of experts insist that the concept of post-traumatic stress disorder is itself disordered and that soldiers are suffering as a result

I think this article does a good job of describing what's happening here.

How many soldiers are creating a self fulfilling prophecy when we are all but told to expect to get ptsd after going to Afghanistan? Why not acknowledge most soldiers will have a lot of different symptoms, which may last for months and months, even years, but it still may not be ptsd?

As for the title of the thread, what do people expect? You go to war, you see some shit, you return with some extra baggage. I'm still dealing with "this baggage", but I don't have ptsd.

I think there are great support systems out there for our vets, and with what we are working with, the CF is doing a very good job.

You do know that PTSD is only one form of Operational Stress Injury.  PTSD, is the new catch phrase that is used for all forms of OSI's.  Depression, anxiety to name a few....

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=mhealth/definition

Don't fixate on the catch phrase, that the media loves to find and use.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Don't fixate on the catch phrase, that the media loves to find and use.

I'm just going with the things we've been told before and after our deployment. Yes, a lot of it can be contributed to the media (throwing around the P-word ::)). A lot of it also goes to the lack of information in regards to OSIs. I truly did not know that PTSD is only one form of OSI. Goes to show the value of the information received I guess.

Tipperary said:
I'm just going with the things we've been told before and after our deployment. Yes, a lot of it can be contributed to the media (throwing around the P-word ::)). A lot of it also goes to the lack of information in regards to OSIs. I truly did not know that PTSD is only one form of OSI. Goes to show the value of the information received I guess.

No worries my friend,

DND is getting the message out, with regards to all forms of OSI's.  BMQ lectures, Pre, Post Deployment lectures.

One link at a time, and the message will get out.

dileas

tess

Back