• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stress Disorder More Common in Women

schart28

Inactive
Reaction score
Here is a very interesting article from WebMD Medical News:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=77661

That should stir the pot.

I have a question, what is up with all the spouses claiming PTSD? If you watched the CBC profile on the medic who lost his legs in A Stan his wife mentioned that she has been given a diagnosis of PTSD. I know of people in my area that have been dealing with PTSD and their wives have also been diagnosed with PTSD. What is going on?

A little excerpt from the article:   "... female survivors of motor vehicle accidents were more likely to report symptoms of PTSD than male survivors..."

The operative words are "report symptoms".  Let's face it, men, as my ex used to so aptly put it, have a chromosomal defect (XY vs XX) that makes us programmed not to show weakness.  The problem is probably more common than thought, just nobody brings it up.

As for people getting it by proxy, I think I'll have to have a little look through the bible for what the criteria for diagnosis is - seems to have changed a tad since the last time I looked/was accused of having the problem...

Of course, as a slightly humourous aside, now would be a bad time to note that, up until about 40 or 50 years ago, most medical textbooks would say that women are hysterical until proven otherwise ::)

MM

3rd Horseman said:

I have a question, what is up with all the spouses claiming PTSD? If you watched the CBC profile on the medic who lost his legs in A Stan his wife mentioned that she has been given a diagnosis of PTSD. I know of people in my area that have been dealing with PTSD and their wives have also been diagnosed with PTSD. What is going on?

You don't think that stresses endured by military members directly effect the spouses?

potato

I firmly believe that the stress endured have a direct effect on the spouses. Certainly if the stress is present at home. How can it not be?

Most definitely it does. 

How could what happened to that gent not affect a loved one, like a wife, traumatically.

3rd, give your head a shake.  I thought you were very knowledgeable of the symptoms and causes, as you have claimed, to know it can affect wives as well.

dileas

tess

I am not sure that it can induce a PTSD on the wife, its the first time I hear of this, but it can certain cause a depression and anxiety.

3rd Horseman said:

schart28 said:
I am not sure that it can induce a PTSD on the wife, its the first time I hear of this, but it can certain cause a depression and anxiety.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

We are not talking about leprosy here, but a disorder brought about by a traumatic incident, and the lack of treatment there after.  Usually the injured member is treated, however those around him are not.  That is what precipitates the disorder, the lack of treatment, not the actual incident.

dileas

tess

I don't buy it.  Women don't get stress, they're carriers...... ;D

schart28 said:

That's ridiculous. I can't imagine what that poor guy or other guys that have been seriously injured are going through. I also cannot imagine what stress it must be on the spouses as well.

To infer that spouses may not suffer it because "well they're just at home, they're the spouse" is bogus.

And yes, I'm a spouse too.

potato

spud said:
You don't think that stresses endured by military members directly effect the spouses?
potato

Obviously I think the stresses endured by military directly effects the spouse. Read my question don't assume my position by misrepresenting what I asked. Do the spouses get PTSD from it?.....I would suggest they don't. My question is what is going on with these diagnosis for PTSD in the spouse?

the 48th regulator said:
Most definitely it does. 
How could what happened to that gent not affect a loved one, like a wife, traumatically.
3rd, give your head a shake.  I thought you were very knowledgeable of the symptoms and causes, as you have claimed, to know it can affect wives as well.
dileas
tess

"Most definitely it does." - Obviously we agree on that. Does it get diagnosed as PTSD is the final issue?

"3rd, give your head a shake.  I thought you were very knowledgeable of the symptoms and causes, as you have claimed, to know it can affect wives as well." - I am knowledgeable, I dont need to shake my head I did not say it did not effect wives. I asked what is going on with the PTSD diagnosis....it is not contagious that I know.

3rd Horseman said:
Obviously I think the stresses endured by military directly effects the spouse. Read my question don't assume my position by misrepresenting what I asked. Do the spouses get PTSD from it?.....I would suggest they don't. My question is what is going on with these diagnosis for PTSD in the spouse?

I'm in no way mis-representing what you asked. You said "what is up with all the spouses claiming PTSD?". That's a pretty flippant remark, obviously inferring that it's a silly thought a spouse could get it.

Here's one definition from a mental health site:

Diagnostic Criteria for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

1. The person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following were present:
            1. The person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others.
            2. The person’s response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror.

It's not much of a stretch to see how any family member could suffer from it, kids included, when a member is seriously injured or under great danger.

potato

spud said:
I'm in no way mis-representing what you asked. You said "what is up with all the spouses claiming PTSD?". (you forgot the other part of my question, " What is going on?") That's a pretty flippant remark, obviously inferring that it's a silly thought a spouse could get it.

Here's one definition from a mental health site:

Diagnostic Criteria for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

1. The person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following were present:
             1. The person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others.
             2. The person’s response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror.
It's not much of a stretch to see how any family member could suffer from it, kids included, when a member is seriously injured or under great danger.
potato

Call me crazy, but in no way can I even consider this a valid use of the diagnosis criteria. Yes the criteria threashold has been lowered in the latest years to include more diagnosis but this is going too far IMHO. It was enough that the lowering of the criteria allowed people who have never left the front gate of a base in Canada claiming let alone people that served in Germany on the beer and snitzel tour claiming. Spouses......tough go yes PTSD no. Just my view. I have PTSD ,wife does not, she sure went through sh&t though.

3rd Horseman said:
  Call me crazy, but in no way can I even consider this a valid use of the diagnosis criteria. Yes the criteria threashold has been lowered in the latest years to include more diagnosis but this is going too far IMHO. It was enough that the lowering of the criteria allowed people who have never left the front gate of a base in Canada claiming let alone people that served in Germany on the beer and snitzel tour claiming. Spouses......tough go yes PTSD no. Just my view. I have PTSD ,wife does not, she sure went through sh&t though.

Thank cripes that you are not a medical or health professional although you seem to think (judging by your posting history) that you are the SME in any area really. Jump down off your very high horse would you? Just once.

No SME here on this issue. Just asking the question and giving my position. Guess I'm the crazy one. I will climb down off my high horse now and realize you must be right and I must be wrong. On that news then I will ensure my spouse gets to the claim centre and gets the help she so well deserves. Obviously their is nothing to question here, you and spud are the authorities on contagious PTSD, thankyou for answering my inquiry.

3rd Horseman said:
No SME here on this issue. Just asking the question and giving my position. Guess I'm the crazy one. I will climb down off my high horse now and realize you must be right and I must be wrong. On that news then I will ensure my spouse gets to the claim centre and gets the help she so well deserves. Obviously their is nothing to question here, you and spud are the authorities on contagious PTSD, thankyou for answering my inquiry.

Why don't you do that then, for once.

I didn't see spud or I claiming to be the expert. Only your assinine posts indicating that you believe that any claims of this by spouses were bogus.

This statement by you:

Do the spouses get PTSD from it?.....I would suggest they don't. My question is what is going on with these diagnosis for PTSD in the spouse?

proves that you still have a lot to learn on the subject you seem to claim to be so familiar with.

As for your wife, I'm glad to hear that she does not have PTSD. Just like the injured/traumatized....not everyone ends up with a PTSD diagnosis, your wife seems to be one of them. Now, just because she doesn't have it, does not mean that someone else's wife/husband doesn't.

Question still stands. "My question is what is going on with these diagnosis for PTSD in the spouse?"
Oh ya I did not say they were Bogus that is your words.
Lets hope someone more learned than you or me can fill in the details here as I don't know that is why I asked the question. Yes I have an opinion, but that opinion can change with some relevent facts and discussion. Just quoting the diagnosis criteria which can be interpreted in two ways depending on your bias is not enough.

3rd Horseman said:

Damn right a wife of an injured soldier can get PTSD...think hearing your loved one is clinging to life and then seeing their disfigured body not stressful? One definition is that PTSD is a physiological response to the extreme stresses caused by witnessing the death or severe injury of others or the stress of the death or severe injury to a loved one.

If you don't believe me, here is a plain English explanation of PTSD from this source:
http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/facts/general/fs_what_is_ptsd.html

What is Posttraumatic Stress Disorder?
A National Center for PTSD Fact Sheet
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of life-threatening events such as military combat, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, serious accidents, or violent personal assaults like rape. Most survivors of trauma return to normal given a little time. However, some people will have stress reactions that do not go away on their own, or may even get worse over time. These individuals may develop PTSD. People who suffer from PTSD often relive the experience through nightmares and flashbacks, have difficulty sleeping, and feel detached or estranged, and these symptoms can be severe enough and last long enough to significantly impair the person's daily life.

PTSD is marked by clear biological changes as well as psychological symptoms. PTSD is complicated by the fact that it frequently occurs in conjunction with related disorders such as depression, substance abuse, problems of memory and cognition, and other problems of physical and mental health. The disorder is also associated with impairment of the person's ability to function in social or family life, including occupational instability, marital problems and divorces, family discord, and difficulties in parenting.

More to support the argument:
Who is most likely to develop PTSD?
1. Those who experience greater stressor magnitude and intensity, unpredictability, uncontrollability, sexual (as opposed to nonsexual) victimization, real or perceived responsibility, and betrayal

2. Those with prior vulnerability factors such as genetics, early age of onset and longer-lasting childhood trauma, lack of functional social support, and concurrent stressful life events

3. Those who report greater perceived threat or danger, suffering, upset, terror, and horror or fear

4. Those with a social environment that produces shame, guilt, stigmatization, or self-hatred

3rd Horseman said:
On that news then I will ensure my spouse gets to the claim centre and gets the help she so well deserves.
To the claim center...I see. So its about money?

ps- of course its more often reported in women. If it were not for the wives of those who suffer from it, most men would not report their problems either.

Back