• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stronach quitting politics for Magna

cplcaldwell

Inactive
Reaction score
From todays Globe and Mail. Shared under the Fair Dealings Provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC

Stronach quitting politics for Magna
GREG KEENAN AND GLORIA GALLOWAY

Globe and Mail Update

TORONTO and OTTAWA — Belinda Stronach, who left Magna International Inc. to forge a career in politics, is returning to the company her father Frank Stronach founded in a Toronto garage in 1957.

Ms. Stronach will replace Fred Gingl as executive-vice chairman of Magna, returning at a time when Magna is in the midst of teaming up with Onex Corp. to consider a bid to buy Chrysler.

“My father is looking to the future, the company is facing important strategic decisions and the Canadian and global auto sector and economy is in a period of great challenge,” Ms. Stronach said in a statement issued Wednesday.

Magna is one of four entities interested in separating Chrysler from its parent DaimlerChrysler AG after DaimlerChrysler effectively put the unit up for sale earlier this year.

Belinda Stronach is seen here making her way to a session at the Liberal Leadership Convention in Nov., 2006, in Montreal. On Wednesday, Ms. Stronach announced she will not stand for re-election as a Member of Parliament in the next federal election and will return to Magna International, where she will become executive vice-chairman. (CP)

Ed Lumley, who is departing as Magna's lead director when a new board of directors is elected next month, said Ms. Stronach brings “an unparalleled understanding of Magna's unique corporate culture, which has been the major contributor to Magna's historical success.”

She has extensive experience in the auto industry and has gained national and international exposure as a federal Cabinet minister.

She left the company in January, 2004, to run for the leadership of the federal Conservative Party, which she helped create by urging the leaders of the Reform and Progressive Conservative parties to unite.

At the time, she was president, chief executive officer and a member of the board of directors.

She lost the leadership race, but was elected to Parliament, then later crossed the floor to join the Liberal Party and take a cabinet seat.

Ms. Stonach said she will not stand for re-election in the next federal election.

“I am always assessing the best role I can play in public life and after being encouraged by members of the corporate leadership at Magna to return, I have decided the timing of my return to the business should not be delayed,” Ms. Stronach said in a release.

I just don't know what to say <sob> I can't believe <blubber> this has happened... I'm all busted up inside ... !!

Am I in violation of some policy or other by saying good riddance?

Daddy asked her to be vice president of the company, being the heiress of a multi-billion dolar comapny, she couldn't very well say no. Back to fairy tale land with her. Best choice she's made yet.

BYE BYE..... you will be missed.... your absence will be noted.......

If she is as good at business as she is at politics, I would check my stock portfolio  :eek:

Ms. Stronach will replace Fred Gingl as executive-vice chairman of Magna, returning at a time when Magna is in the midst of teaming up with Onex Corp. to consider a bid to buy Chrysler.
Any chance she'll cross the floor and join Ford?  ;)

Journeyman said:
Any chance she'll cross the floor and join Ford?  ;)

Classic.  :)  And in other news Tie Domi was hired as Belinda's secretary at Magna.

Yawn!!!

Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.....
Might as well get away from the cameras & get a life

Bye, bye!

I guess Belinda got bored with the Liberal party like she did with the Conservative party which she left because she couldn't win the leadership race. Belinda Stronach is the Paris Hilton of Canadian politics and thats not a compliment. Goodbye and good luck Belinda.

Wait a minute.  She can't leave now, she hasn't crossed over to Layton's camp yet!

Question:
Would that make the NDP more credible or less credible?

JesseWZ said:
Question:
Would that make the NDP more credible or less credible?
Scary thing is that actually poses a question which is debatable ;D

Daddy couldn't buy her the leadership of the Conservative party so she went Liberal. Daddy couldn't buy her the leadership of the Liberal party so she's going somewhere where Daddy actually can have some influence....his company!
Makes me laugh too when she's all weepy about women getting no respect in politics. It's been my experience in life that people of either gender, any race or creed gain respect by the measure of their character....her's was often in question and not a lot of respect was due....IMHO. ;)

This time, it's Fred who crossed the floor

By DAVID PARKINSON 

Saturday, April 14, 2007 – Page B2

You'd think contemplating the purchase of one of the world's biggest car companies would be pretty all-consuming, but apparently it's not enough to keep Frank Stronach busy. He still found time this week to play some musical chairs in Magna International's executive suites. And, surprise, surprise, the apple of his eye and fruit of his loins, Belinda, landed one of the best seats in the house when the music stopped. Which is fitting, since she had one of the best seats in the House -- of Commons -- for a time, but I guess she wasn't fond of the wobbly legs and all the gum under the chairs on the Opposition side. (Maybe she'd like the decor better if she could find a party she could commit to -- like, say, one she could lord over like some all-powerful goddess of political war. But I digress.)

Just days before Ms. Stronach resumed her corporate career as Magna's new executive vice-chairman, the old executive vice-chairman, Fred Gingl, stepped aside. Coincidence, they insist. Ahem. Mr. Gingl, who has long played Sideshow Mel to Frank Stronach's Krusty the Klown, will now head up Frank's latest pie-in-the-sky sideline, a lifestyle and accessories business. Seems to me that lifestyle accessories sound more up Belinda's alley. Just ask Tie Domi/Peter MacKay/Johann Olav Koss.

http://tinyurl.com/yog8ob

Back