• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer Camp Weekends

cdn031

Inactive
Reaction score
1) Quick Question for Cadets who have attended  summer camp in the last couple of years - On the Weekends what were you doing? Training? Waiting around? Would you rather have been training?

2) for the Staff - Officers & Staff Cadets - Were you paid on the weekends? (i.e. Paid by the day?) Is there an expectation that you would get weekends "off" if not the Duty O/ Duty NCO?

Just trying to clarify some confusion in a recent conversation!

Take care

I recall some of this information being covered in the Cadet Sub-Board Camp.  You might want to read through the posts there.  If you can't find what you are looking for, it should at least give you some members that you can contact for clarification.

If you don't find what you are looking for, let me know.

cheers

PV

1) I've been to both Connaught and Blackdown. At Connaught during my basic year on weekends we would have a parade and then we would go into Ottawa to see some of the sights. I thought this was a really good idea instead of having cadets sitting around doing nothing on base.

For Basic cadets at Blackdown, seeing as they are on 2 week courses their one weekend consists of training. For everyone else at Blackdown training ceases as of noon on the Saturday. Many cadets go out on leave, but for those who stay it can get pretty boring. This past summer I know the Trg Spt coy set up a lot of sports and other things for the course cadets to do, and I think these are good initiatives as they replaced the waiting around I experienced as a course cadet.

2) As staff cadets, yes we are paid on weekends and yes we did expect to be off if not on duty or 50 (although the 50 staff were off for the most part, they just couldn't leave the camp)

I can't speak for basic at VACSTC, but for CL and CLI (regular, not bandies, they alwasy seemed to be playing somewhere) training ceased at noon on Saturday, which was followed by free time, beach parade, waterslides, etc. Sunday was also free time, again with beach, waterslide, etc. unless on an FTX, with grad parade practices, or other special parades. Every second week on Sunday evening was "muster parade". Alwasy good times.

You are on Class B for officers and although not officially staff cadets "advanced training cadets" because you aren't employed, you are paid for each day of your contract.  You aren't entitled to leave pers say as an advanced training cadet, but usually you got days off, depending on the schedule.

The ones in Argonaut (think I spelled it right  ::)) get to go to the Freddie mall

cdn031 said:
2) for the Staff - Officers & Staff Cadets - Were you paid on the weekends? (i.e. Paid by the day?) Is there an expectation that you would get weekends "off" if not the Duty O/ Duty NCO?

Speaking strictly for officers, CSTC contracts are Class B call-outs so officers are paid seven days a week.  Leave is accumulated at the going rate and is taken during the call-out or, theoretically, can be paid out at the end of the contract (but I understand that the latter is discouraged if not outright forbidden).

I've been to both Blackdown and Connaught. Both camps have a battalion parade in the morning. Blackdown doesn't have training after 1 on Saturday. At Connaught they had some training on the weekends, basically just chances to go abseilling and such (my dad said it was just a way to keep us occupied if we didn't go on leave...and for the most part it kept us active rather than just going and sitting in the canteen watching a movie or going on the computers).

Been to Bagotville and CRGS. At both locations training was 6 days a week. We got Sunday's off to do what ever we pleased at CRGS. At Bagotville, we were somewhat liberated on Sunday's. Meaning we were subject to certain activities that lasted a few hours in the morning a few times. Another exception at Bagotville is for the Basic Course. They run training 7 days a week.

cdn031 said:
1) Quick Question for Cadets who have attended summer camp in the last couple of years - On the Weekends what were you doing? Training? Waiting around? Would you rather have been training?

Just trying to clarify some confusion in a recent conversation!

Take care

Question # 1

Most of the Cadets at Blackdown will go on Batt Parade. a little more than half will go on leave.the rest of the cadets will just hang out in there Bubble,go to the cadet canteen or get themself's in trouble with nothing to do . Blackdown has Trg Sup that will issues all the sports gear you can handle.

Question # 2

Yes all the staff get paid

Blackdown Vet 94-Present

Back