• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sworn In Backwards?

SkyHeff

Inactive
Reaction score
I just had a question of curiosity. I was sworn in this past weekend and when the act was being performed, anyone being sworn in had their right hand on the bible and their left hand raised. Was this backwards? I've heard from a few people that it should have been the other way around. Anyone who did the affirmation was asked to raise their right hand when doing so.

It doesn't matter either way, it (I hope) was official, I am just curious.

Thanks,
Greg

It was official either way ... generally you raise your right hand though ... a protocol error, but not the end of the world I would think.

Heff18 said:
I just had a question of curiosity. I was sworn in this past weekend and when the act was being performed, anyone being sworn in had their right hand on the bible and their left hand raised.

Just curious.  Was the person holding the bible in their left hand with their right hand raised, and everyone swearing in naturally placed their right hand (Closest to) on the Bible rather than crossing their left hand over to do so, and raising their right hand?  This may explain it.

That's a good possibility, George. She was holding the bible in her left hand, without the right hand raised, and it's very likely what you described happened. I know when it was me, I went on autopilot and only the pictures made it evident. I've been trying to recall if we were told before hand which to raise, but I can only remember being told to raise the right hand if receiving the affirmation.

I just remember my dad (Sgt Rtd.) and two of his old buddies (WO1, MWO) discussing and further more bugging me about it at the BBQ that night.

I have a question about being sworn in. What if your not religious and the bible doesn't mean anything to you? Do the use something else or do you have to suck it up and swear on the bible?

It makes me think...
When asked, I mentionned that I want to swear in on the bible... but we swore in all together without bibles... I was so nervous I did not even realize it... anyway I am just happy to be in!  ;D

Odd that the boilerplate didn't include this. When I cover court and such places where oaths are routinely administered, the clerk rattles off the swearing-in, including specifically "Place your left hand on the Bible..."

Back