• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TACMED

LineJumper

Inactive
Reaction score
What's that all about? Supposed to be going to sunny Suff in a few weeks to do something there. Gotta love voluntold :p

It's a high-speed tactical medicine course for MedTechs. My guess is you're going as some sort of support staff (driver, etc).

Tac-Med course can be really fun at times, and really gay at others. Since I'm right by the base, I've already GD staffed on two TAC-MED courses.

There are two positions your boss puts people as, Driver and Opfor.

Drivers just drive, usually to Calgary and the surrounding area, picking up local Alberta candidates for the TM course from their towns or airport. There's a few trips to Wainwright too. It's all very easy since you drive 2008-2009 rental vehicles, so you get satellite radio, and a comfortable vehicle to cruise in. Also there's driving stuff around the base itself. During non-scenario week, drivers help out the Opfor staff.

Opfor labeled staff do most of the actually GD work. Moving things around, setting stuff up, and counting boxes full of medical supplies, which is time-consuming and boring, but must be done. Then you guys also do the Enemy Force part and clean the weapons after. Scenarios is when the medics go in combat patrols and go into a village and you dress up in hodgie gear, suicide vests, RPG simulator, and with AK47s, with possibly an UZI coming in for the June course. There they practice their combat drills and do the beef of the medical work which I can't say public, but you'll see when you're there. You attack each section in different scenarios,with all 3 sections in one massive scenario at the end.

Most work days are between 8-12 hours long, always starting at 0700 and going to 5-6pm usually for the scenario week. Other weeks its the standard 8hour day. I really enjoyed being GD staff on this course because since you have to play with all the medical supplies all the time, sorting them and counting them, you learn quite a lot about how combat med stuff works. The Opfor can be fun as well as you learn a little bit of IED drills, med drills, and quick reaction force.

You'll have a great time man, and your boss is a very nice guy who takes care of his staff and students well. I won't be on the next course, got PLQ to attend =(

LineJumper said:
What's that all about? Supposed to be going to sunny Suff in a few weeks to do something there. Gotta love voluntold :p

LineJumper said:

Its all about keeping my fellow medics alive when the diarrhea is in the fan....and blood is flowing onto dirt.

Its about making sure those same medics can keep your friends alive, too.

Sound important enough for you?

I've heard numerous medics there say, "This is the best training I've had, it's something that doesn't even compare to my previous training."  Also, some have said they now would be more comfortable performing medical procedures on a person because of the training they had on the TM course.

This course is one of the top priority courses in Canada. They got a new village built for it, and they can basically can get any supplies needed for the course since it's priority is over a lot of others.

SFB said:
Its all about keeping my fellow medics alive when the diarrhea is in the fan....and blood is flowing onto dirt.

Its about making sure those same medics can keep your friends alive, too.

Sound important enough for you?

Sounds like some great, meaningful training then. Perhaps I'll get something from seeing the medics at work to incorporate into some of my first aid classes to make it more interesting for the troops.

Back