• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tailoring... time's up?

tree hugger

Reaction score
Went to the tailor shop today on base asking about getting my DEU skirt hemmed.  They say that since I've had it longer than 2 weeks, I have to complete it elsewhere on my dime.  ??? I asked the lady if there was an official policy on this but she didn't seem to know of one. 

Is this true?  If so, I've never heard of it.... I'm wanting to wear it as part of No. 2's.

From the supply manual (DWAN link only):

3-13K-012. Alterations and repairs - Distinctive Environmental Uniform (DEU)
31. Alterations to new clothing shall be completed at public expense for all ranks on initial issue and for replacement issue of authorized DEU items of clothing. Shirts cannot be altered at public expense. Exceptions can be authorized by the supply officer or clothing supervisor, including alterations to CF shirts. If an individual requires alterations beyond what is listed at para 35, they must provide substantiation in writing (email) to the Sup O or clothing supervisor. Alterations to CF shirts, although not restricted to this group, would normally be allowed for CF personnel holding senior appointments.

32. Major alterations are not authorized to DEU garments. A comprehension range of standard DEU sizes are available from the contractor, made to measure ranges as described in sec G are also available online. Minor alterations described in para 35 should allow for a proper fit.  If a proper fit is not possible a made to measure garment shall be ordered.

33. For all personnel, only minor alterations are authorized at public expense.

Authorized minor alterations to DEU are as follows:

DEU tunics
Taking in and letting out the side seams
Removal of the excess material just below the back of the collar, often referred to as "raising the back."
Deepening of the armhole
Taking in and letting out the centre back
Raising or lowering the sleeve length

DEU trousers/slacks
Raising or lowering the pant length
Increasing or decreasing the trouser waist
Letting out the thigh

DEU skirts
Raising or lowering the skirt length
Taking in and letting out side seams
Increasing or decreasing the waist.

34. Alterations for members who lose or gain weight of their own volition must pay for their own alterations. If, however, the weight loss or gain is directly attributable to a medical condition completely beyond the control of the individual, necessary alterations are authorized at public expense upon written certification by the base surgeon or Medical Officer. Self-inflicted overweight or underweight conditions are not considered to be beyond the control of the individual, regardless of whether the member was under the supervision of a medical officer during the period of the loss or gain of weight. Where weight fluctuations are so drastic as to preclude alterations, exchanges may be authorized provided the criteria above are met.

35. District tailoring facilities or local contract shall normally be used to effect alterations and repairs. If neither facility is available, B/W/S Sup O may arrange to have the alterations effected through petty cash as authorized by procurement.

I don't see anything about a two week deadline.

Occam said:
From the supply manual (DWAN link only):

I don't see anything about a two week deadline.

Nope; it doesn't exist.

First time in my entire career that I've heard this BS line used by staff.  :mad:

tree hugger said:
Went to the tailor shop today on base asking about getting my DEU skirt hemmed.  They say that since I've had it longer than 2 weeks, I have to complete it elsewhere on my dime.  ??? I asked the lady if there was an official policy on this but she didn't seem to know of one. 

Is this true?  If so, I've never heard of it.... I'm wanting to wear it as part of No. 2's.

Were you fed this line in Pet?

We hear this in Halifax fairly often directed at newer members who have just been issued their DEU.  They may get them in Apr or May, then go on tasking or course and when they get back they get told 'Oh sorry times up for free tailoring, you will have to pay for it or go to a civie tailor and pay for it that way.'

I keep a photo copy of the ref handy to give to troops going to the Dockyard tailor, so we can call BS if needed.  I suspect that they are just overloaded with work as there never seem to be more than 4 civie tailors working there at any given time.  They do have a huge work load, no denying that, but f they just up front told people that there will be an X Day or Week to get the work done, it would a lot better than quoting policies or directives that do not exist.

On a similar vein, is there a time limit for the tailor (outside of that directive, perhaps in a contract somewhere?)

I managed to end up with no DEU pants (long story) - I have three pairs, which all require tailoring, but I don't really want to wait a month to get them back (the skirt thing is getting old). I may pay for one of them on my own dime, but it will get quite expensive if I have to pay for all three.

It's not as if they're stamped with an expiry date. If it were me, I'd have walked out the door, walked back in and said "Oh, this is a newer skirt. It was in my car.". Not that I advocate lying, but they started it.

Have to take the opportunity to complement our local tailor (seamstress?). She's fantastic, work always gets done in an expedient manner, she's very helpful, and as we have no mat techs locally, she's also helped "us" (Me, just working with various units at various times) out a few times with quick repairs on kit (Not sure if that's part of her job or not, again, as we have no mat techs, all I know is she's always great...).

Old and Tired said:
We hear this in Halifax fairly often directed at newer members who have just been issued their DEU.  They may get them in Apr or May, then go on tasking or course and when they get back they get told 'Oh sorry times up for free tailoring, you will have to pay for it or go to a civie tailor and pay for it that way.'

I keep a photo copy of the ref handy to give to troops going to the Dockyard tailor, so we can call BS if needed.  I suspect that they are just overloaded with work as there never seem to be more than 4 civie tailors working there at any given time.  They do have a huge work load, no denying that, but f they just up front told people that there will be an X Day or Week to get the work done, it would a lot better than quoting policies or directives that do not exist.

What I think is happening ... is that there are some Clothing Stores Supervisors who are misinterpreting a two weeks for tailoring related to getting the actual work done once the item is dropped off.

All normal Tailor Shop SOPs usually include a statement such as:

"Once the item has been dropped off for tailoring, the work should normally be completed within two weeks. Rank changes will occur as same-day service".

There is absolutely NO national document that deems that pers only have 2 weeks after it's receipt to take it in to the tailor. But, many that state the tailor has 2 weeks to complete the work once the tailor gets it.

I'd say, young and inexperienced supervisors who are misinterpreting the SOPs ... if even read at all.

Yeah, so that didn't work...  I met with the WO and the tailor and they said that 2 years is too long, how were they to even know it was my skirt... looks like I was issued the wrong size anyways... I should have had them to the tailor's right after the inital issue...etc.

While I agree that I should have taken them to the tailors right after I got them, they couldn't find a reference where there was a drop dead timeframe to get the initial issue tailored. 

Since it's too late for me to return the skirt to Logistik, they suggested I used my points to be issued a new one.  At this point I knew I was not going to convince them to tailor my current skirt.  All I wanted was to get skirt before my event on 16Oct, which I explained to them.  The tailor measured me up and told me what size to order (which I ordered within the hour).  Since this is a "new" skirt they would be able to do alterations on it, in this case, bringing it up a bit.   

The skirt arrived Monday, Tuesday the tailor is closed so I stopped by today.  The soonest they could get it done was the 20th.  So the whole aim/effort of getting my skirt altered at public expense was wasted....

I now have to take it to a civillian tailor and hope they can get it done for me in time.  This process was very disapointing.

FFS...is there no end to the silliness?  If the supply manual doesn't say there is a time limit, there's no time limit.  WO or not, they shouldn't be inventing rules where none exist.  If the WO has reason to believe you're trying to screw the system, then he should be coming out with it, otherwise sign the damn chit and get it altered.

Jeez, this outfit boggles sometimes.

tree hugger said:
.....able to do alterations on it, in this case, bringing it up a bit
Just know that we're backing you!  ;D

Haha!  I told the tailor to make it as short as the CF dress manual would allow, just for you!  :nod:

With this off base tailor, I'll get it back on Wednesday.  And for the record, I had taken my tunic to the civi tailor to get it taken in as I knew that it was no longer at the "initial issue" stage.  Got it back today and she did a terrific job.

This brings to light an interesting issue.  The tailoring rules need to be updated.  In the old days, we paid for replacement parts of our dress uniforms (yes, we received CUA as well, but let's face it, everybody simply treated that as part of our pay) and so there were limits placed on tailoring to ensure folks weren't abusing the service and simply trying to have things that should have been replaced, tailored instead.  Now that we no longer "pay" for replacement parts, does it not make sense to change the policy?  If I can't have my perfectly good three year old tunic altered at public expense, am I going to take it to a private tailor and pay for it, or am I going to order a new one from Logistikorp and get that one tailored?  In the end, the public still pays for tailoring, but in the latter scenario, they also pay for a new tunic.  Perhaps now, alterations should either be free at any time, or we should be able to use our points to have the alterations done.

Pusser said:
In the end, the public still pays for tailoring, but in the latter scenario, they also pay for a new tunic. 
Does Logistik get paid per item or a flat rate for the service they provide?

Pusser said:
Perhaps now, alterations should either be free at any time, or we should be able to use our points to have the alterations done.

Interesting.  It could also avoid any excuse we have for having ill fitting DEU's on parade.  ie. Holy crapola, my pants shrunk!

All normal Tailor Shop SOPs usually include a statement such as:

"Once the item has been dropped off for tailoring, the work should normally be completed within two weeks. Rank changes will occur as same-day service".

There is absolutely NO national document that deems that pers only have 2 weeks after it's receipt to take it in to the tailor. But, many that state the tailor has 2 weeks to complete the work once the tailor gets it.

Oh really?  It took base tailoring 4 weeks to change the rank on my tunic.

take2 said:
Oh really?  It took base tailoring 4 weeks to change the rank on my tunic.

Why, yes. Really.

Promotions are supposed to be done on a "while you wait there" basis. Always have been. Don't know where you are at, but heck ... you know what to do next time eh?

When they ask (for promotions), "When do you need it for?" You say, "Today, it's a promotion."

Vern

In Pet it was a 2 week wait to get private hooks on 9er's DEU I ssume the same for when she gets her Cpl's soon....

Maybe someone in the QM world maybe a new MWO *cough* *cough* should start looking into base tailoring dropping the ball CF wide  ;)

Back