• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TCP and IC Calculations

ab136

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the TCP and IC's are calculated? I have heard soooooo many stories of people with similar qualifications getting vastly different TCP and IC's.  Is there a standard of some sort? I have read CFAO 49-4 and searched the best "I" can and I have found nothing of the sort. Is it just a whim of the recruiting office? Someone please enlighten me!

A-PM-245 Chap 5 Annex's D & E
DIN Link: http://hr.dwan.dnd.ca/dhrim/mhrrp/ch05/engraph/ch05d_e.asp

CHAPTER 5 said:
SENIORITY AND ENTER PROMOTION ZONE CALCULATIONS NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBER (NCM)
General
1. The purpose of this annex is to describe the calculation methodology applying to the processing of Enter Promotion Zone (EPZ) dates for NCM. The time prerequisites for EPZ are outlined in CFAO 49-4 and these and LWOP are identified as "variables" in examples of this Annex.

Initial Calculation
2. On enrolment or transfer, the initial seniority date is set as enrolment/transfer date plus any LWOP on enrolment/transfer. The same formula applies to setting the initial EPZ date to next higher rank except that the time prerequisite (variable) is applied. Calculations follow the general rules of this chapter using Julian conversion, a leap year or non-leap year calendar for commencement, simple addition of variables to give a Julian result. The result is converted to a calendar date for ease of reader usage again using a leap year or non-leap year calendar.

3. The following is an example of the initial action on enrolment/transfer.

Enrl Date - Leap Year  -  Non-Leap Year
14 JUN converted to Julian - 80 166 - 81 165
Add LWOP - +14 - +14
Add variable (Pte - Cpl)  - +4  - +4
EPZ to Cpl - 84 180  -  85 179

converted back to calendar using appropriate - 28 JUN 84 - 28 JUN 85
leap year or non-leap year calendar

4.The above effectively adds the LWOP and time in year variables and places the ENTER (of the EPZ) to the day after termination. The member MEETS the time prerequisite at 2400 hours and ENTERS the promotion zone at 0000 hours of the next day.

Time Credited for Promotion
5. When time is credited for promotion (TCP) the credit is applied to the result of the Enrolment/Transfer date, plus LWOP on Enrolment/Transfer, plus the variable, as per the following examples:

Enrl Date + LWOP + Variable  -  85 179 -  84 180 -  82 180
TCP Subtracted - -2 40  -  -2 40  -  -2 40
EPZ -  83 139  -  82 140  -  80 140
Converted back to calendar using appropriate  -  19 MAY 83  -  20 MAY 82  -  19 MAY 80
leap year or non-leap year calendar

Promotion
6. On promotion to Cpl rank or above the variable number of years of the time prerequisite is added to the date of promotion maintaining the anniversary day as follows:

Promoted to Cpl -  EPZ to MCpl
14 JUN 80  -  14 JUN 82
14 JUN 81  -  14 JUN 83
14 JUN 82  - 14 JUN 84

Leap years or non-leap years have no bearing on this calculation methodology. The member effectively MEETS the two year variable 14 JUN to 13 JUN, and ENTERS the promotion zone the next day 14 JUN.

Pte Status Level - Seniority and EPZ
7. It is important to note that once the initial seniority date or EPZ to Cpl rank is calculated on Pte SL Recruit or Basic, the dates remain as calculated on progression from SL Recruit to Basic, and Basic to Trained. A Rank/SL History record would appear as follows:

Rank/SL  -  Date of Rank/SL -  Seniority Date - EPZ Date
PTE R  14 MAR 77 (R) 28 MAR 77 (2)  To CPL - 28 MAR 81 (3)
PTE B  26 JUN 77 (4)  28 MAR 77 (5) To CPL 28 MAR 81 (5)
PTE T 28 SEP 79 (6)  28 MAR 77 (5)  To CPL 28 MAR 81 (5)
CPL  28 MAR 81 (7) 28 MAR 81 (8)  To MCPL 28 MAR 83 (9)

NOTES: 1. Enrolment date.

2. Plus 14 days LWOP on enrolment.

3. Enrolment date, plus LWOP, plus 4 years, e.g., 77/073, plus 14 days LWOP, plus 4 Years = 81/087 Julian converted to calendar date using non-leap year calendar.

4. Graduation from recruit training.

5. Date remains as calculated for previous Pte SL.

6. EFFECTIVE 2 JAN 83 The Status change date to PTE(T) will be calculated based on Qualifying Service as per calculating EPZ date for Cpl.

7. Assumes all other promotion prerequisites met and member promoted to Cpl on EPZ date.

8. Promotion date.

9. Promotion date plus 2 year variable.

Calculation Conversion
8. Note that as per art 509 (6), if as a result of a mathematical calculation using Julian configuration, an EPZ day comes out as 000, the date is deemed to be 31 DEC of the preceding year. For example:

Enrol Date + LWOP + Variable 82 180 TCP Subtracted   - 180 82 000 =81 365
EPZ Date is 31 DEC 81

Observations
9. Observation Forms CF 1006 may be submitted on seniority and/or EPZ dates where the displayed data is suspect, as per Chap 4.

10. NDHQ career managers may use the Seniority and/or EPZ Adjushtment message formats of Chap 7 Anx G to correct these discrepancies as per Chap 4 in order that the URS, the unit and the member are aware of the action and to reduce the possibility of duplicate observation. These procedures may also be used instead of amending the Enrolment/Transfer Posting Instruction of Chap 11 when errors or omissions are noted.

CHAPTER 5 said:
CALCULATION OF INCENTIVE PAY CATEGORY DUE DATE
General
1. The purpose of this Annex is to detail the method by which the CCPS determines a member's initial/next Incentive Pay Category (IPC) due date on enrolment/transfer and/or promotion.

Basic Calculation
2. On enrolment, transfer, promotion, the initial/next IPC due date is that date which results when the following formula is applied enrolment,transfer,promotion date plus any Leave Without Pay (LWOP) authorized on enrolment/transfer plus one year, to arrive at normal IPC due date. Leap years or non-leap years have no bearing on the one-year forward adjushtment, i.e., one year from 14 Jun is 14 Jun of the following year.

Incentive Credit
3. Incentive Credit (IC) is a reduction in the normal waiting period to the member's first/next incentive as outlined in para 2. It recognizes previous service and special qualifications as deemed appropriate in accordance with QR&O 204.015. Qualifying service for IC does not include LWOP granted on enrolment or LWOP granted prior to the commencement of full-time paid service. The same formula applies to meeting the IPC due date except that the IC is applied as follows enrolment/transfer/promotion date plus LWOP authorized on enrolment/transfer plus one year, minus the period of IC granted, but never earlier than the commencement date of paid service. In contrast to the one-year forward adjushtment explained in para 2, the IC adjushtment, if it includes the month of Feb, must account for the extra day in a leap-year, i.e., the IPC due date will be delayed by one day.

4. The following are examples of application of the formula:

a. Leap Year. Member enrolled as 2LT 14 Jun 83, authorized 13 days LWOP on enrolment and granted 273 days IC for previous Class "C" Reserve Service and equivalent Regular Force course qualification.

Enrolment Date - 14 Jun 83
Add one year (to arrive at normal IPC due date) -  27 Jun 84
Add LWOP 13 days (14-26 Jun) -  27 Jun 83
Subtract IC (273 days) - 28 Sep 83
The 273 days IC is calculated as follows: 
Month Days 
Jun 84  27 
May 84  31 
Apr 84  30 
Mar 84  31 
Feb 84  29 
Jan 84  31 
Dec 83  31 
Nov 83  30 
Oct 83 31 
Sep 83 02 

b. Non-Leap Year. Member enrolled as Pte Recruit 13 Mar 82, authorized 12 days LWOP on enrolment and granted 180 days IC for trade qualification.

Enrolment Date - 13 mar 82
Add LWOP 12 days (13-24 Mar ) -  25 Mar 82
Add one year (to arrive at normal IPC due date) -  25 Mar 83
Subtract IC (180 days) - 26 Sep 82
The 180 days IC is calculated as follows: 
Month Days 
Mar 83  25 
Feb 83  28 
Jan 83  31 
Dec 82  31 
Nov 82  30 
Oct 82 31 
Sep 82 04 
Corrections and Inquiries
5. Corrections and inquiries on IPC calculations are to be actioned as outlined in CFAO 204-2 Annex B. Policy inquiries are to be directed to the appropriate NDHQ DGMilC career manager.

That is the best copy&paste I can do as I do not know how to use the "tables" feature. All that to say that it is not at the whim of anyone and does have clear guidelines to be followed.

Not exactly what I was looking for. I guess I should have put in more detail.

Does anyone know how civilian qualifications are accredited for TCP and IC?

Back