• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Closing of CFB Chilliwack & No Regular Force Army Battalions in BC?!

L

Limpy

What I'm wondering is what was the so called "offcial" reason(s) for the closing of CFB Chilliwack. I've heared people say it was punsihment for not voting Liberal in the election of the time. But I don't think thats the reason on paper. Anyway, I didn't like the shutting down of CFB Chilliwack, for down here on the coast living in The Pacific Ring of Fire you live under the threat of earthquakes. Having the base was an excellent emergency response estalishment. With the forest fire situation the base would have been a real asset. Also there is no Reg Force Army in British Columbia anymore so there is not much   influence in the town of Chilliwack or the Lower Mainland for things like recruting.

Mabye I'm wrong but what I was told my my grandfather who lives in Chilliwack,   that when Chretien was first elected in '93 he promised to move all the PPCLI to Edmonton, and as you know they won so he moved them.   Can anyone confirm this?   I think i got it right.

CFOCS, 1 CER, and CFSME were the residents of Chilliwack.  3 PPCLI had only just arrived in Chilliwack when the base was closed, and 2 PPCLI is in Winnipeg moving to Shilo (not Edmonton).  Most of 1 CMBG moved to Edmonton from Calgary.  1 CER & 3 PPCLI moved from Chilliwack to Edmonton.

The base was closed to save money by consolidating the CF onto fewer bases.  Same reason for many other bases that have been closed.

Does anyone think the gains of closing CFB Chilliwack outweigh the loss?

We don't have Reg. force on the west coast, and wouldn't the PPCLI change that?

There's an old saying in these parts that if Chilliwack had voted Liberal the base would still be open.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Well it seems all of B.C. didn't vote Liberal overwhelmingly this election. Wonder if it's Esquimalt or Comox next?

McG said:
CFOCS, 1 CER, and CFSME were the residents of Chilliwack.   3 PPCLI had only just arrived in Chilliwack when the base was closed, and 2 PPCLI is in Winnipeg moving to Shilo (not Edmonton).   Most of 1 CMBG moved to Edmonton from Calgary.   1 CER & 3 PPCLI moved from Chilliwack to Edmonton.

Okay thanks for correcting me, I thought I was off the mark with that.  But what are the CFOCS, CER AND CFSME?

CER= Combat Engineer Regiment
CFSME=Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering
not sure but I think CFOCS=Canadian Forces Officer Candidate School

The Canadian Forces Officer Candidate School barracks at chilliwack are kinda comfy. That is where they are housing this years BMQ/SQ course. The RCMP resteraunt buffet is also kinda tasty for those early morning meals. Sure beats the original plan for throwing us down in mod tents on concrete slabs. Meh, my weekend leave is almost over, I should start getting back to chilliwack.

Jay Hunter said:
We don't have Reg. force on the west coast, and wouldn't the PPCLI change that?

why we don't have Reg on the west coast?! because unless?!

Well this is typical of the Libral government to cut costs, and gamble on the big game of 'well we might not need it, and we will pay for it when we need it'..which IMHO is sheer stupidity.  Hundreds of forest fires in BC, potential for a huge earth quake, and much civil unrest, having to pay lots moving personell around to take care of these things, and oh yah incresed cost in training.

IMHO we need to have a base here in BC...I'm tired of BC getting the shaft all the time from Ottawa.

Besides who is supposed to defend our west coast? The USA?

Cheers!
P.

On the flip side consolidating 1st Brigade's units together in one location makes a bunch of sense (Shilo units the exception). And a west coast invasion shouldn't be a military consideration in Canada. A B.C. base would indeed be nice, though.

Why do so many feel that the only way for the army to respond to a BC earthquake is to keep the army in a location where they will be just as much the casualties?  Alberta soldiers can respond as quick, and they will not be distracted from the task by concerns for their families.

Do not forget, there is a sizable regular force Navy presence in the province of BC.

It would take about two days for a response from Wainright or the Edmonton Garrison to arrive via road in the event of a disaster such as an earthquake. Alot can happen in two days. Besides, Chilliwack as far as I know would not be as near the
the epicentre if the the "BIG ONE" was to hit. Personnel at Chilliwack would probably be relatively unharmed albeit a little shookin up. As for the Navy at Esquimalt and the Air Force at Comox they would be the hardest hit in the event of an earthquake for the theory is that the most likely place for the big one epicentre around the Juan de Fuca straight. And Esqimalt and Comox are you guessed it, near/right on the water. Besides, I don't believe that both those bases are big on natural disaster response. Mostly for them it's maritime patrols.

Also "Do not forget, there is a sizable regular force Navy presence in the province of BC."

You must be kidding.

The disaster would be in the major urban centers such as Vancouver, the liquifaction of most of Richmonds landbase,   and Victoria which is projected to end up 20' under water, and not semi rural chilliwack.   The bean counters in the earthquake center project that chilliwack would be "shaken, not stired".   Esp' if the Juan de fuca plate is involved.

I personaly can't see the Navy out here on the Island being able to do the inland foot work to help in the disater zone of an urban center.
Esp' when the next step is digging, walking, running, securing areas against looters etc.
Are they trained in emergency response in Urban centers?   Are they equiped? Are they in shape?

I wouldn't want the' Navy guy' accross the street that is so fat he can barley get up his front steps without panting to be trying to "rescue me".

Also I remember a few years back how long it took for Alberta troops to make out out here to BC to help when we had a freak snowstorm, and needed to check all the abandoned (and not abandoned) cars on the sides of the highways.

A BC Base would be mighty nice.
Cheers!
P.

Earthquakes are not the only natural disaster that your province faces.   Did you know that the Navy participated in fighting the BC forest fires last summer?

If I recall, it was soldiers based in BC that responded to that snow storm a few years back.   Maybe they were to close to the problem to respond faster.

I personaly can't see the Navy out here on the Island being able to do the inland foot work to help in the disater zone of an urban center.
Are they trained in emergency response in Urban centers?  Are they equiped? Are they in shape?
Nobody in the CF is trained for HUSAR.  The Naval Construction Troop in Esquimalt would be in a good position to extrapolate using its skills & equipment though.

CFB Esquimalt has E boxes set up across the base and practice drills/run coarses ,ect to prepare for an earthquake. In the event of a major earthquake the forces don't plan on being huge on the rescue and reconstruction right off the bat. Realistically they will be waiting 'rescue' themselves. I believe that the forces is supposed to have an official 'plan' sometime next year for BC.

Comm reserve units in BC usually do at least a couple of "earthquake exercises" each year, with the goal being to "restore" communications throughout the southern portion of Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland.  These exercises are often conducted in conjunction with elements of both MARPAC and the Provincial Emergency Planning Agency.  If a serious earthquake ever happened though, I have my doubts as to whether or not we'd be able to do anything to really help anyone out, particularly given the fact that most of us would be either stranded, or casualties, or stranded casualties ourselves.

Say what you want about the closing of Chilliwack, but I don't honestly think that 1 CER, a bunch of officer cadets, and a couple of Engr 3's and 5's courses could really stem the tide of disaster, either.  If a really serious earthquake were to hit, there would be widespread destruction, and not just in the urban centres.  Infrastructure of all kinds would be nearly destroyed throughout much of southwestern BC, and that would seriously hamper any operations that were attempted by Chilliwack based units.  When the big one hits, we are going to need thousands of troops, and they are going to have to come in from, and be supported by an undamaged logistical support centre.  I.E. Edmonton, IMHO.

Back