• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The French Navy in Halifax

andpro

Inactive
Reaction score
Did anyone see the french ships in halifax harbour? Thier aircraft carrier the Charles de gaulle makes me jealous :crybaby:. I hope Canadians soon realize what is happening to our navy, through all these media reports (some of which are blown out of proportion) and actually decide to care about the navy. This current government is killing our armed forces. It almost makes me want to support the consevatives, their moral views are much different from mine. I would like to hear what you guys think about the french ships.
cheers 

Never had a problem working with the French navy. Their ships are like ours for the most part. Some are good and some are getting long in the tooth.

I wouldn't be too envious of the CdG, while it is a carrier and that in itself is something to respect, it's had a miserable run of luck since it was conceived.
Nuclear reactor issues, issues with the screws, well over budget and so much of a pain in the ass that I've heard they're just going to get the British to construct a third CV when they build the two new CV's and save themselves the trouble...in other news, the 200th celebration of the British Victory at Trafalgar gets underway hehehe.

It may have a few problems but at least its a carrier. If Canada actually got a carrier do you think we should bring back the name Magnificent or make a new name?

CdG had some major teething problems and still is not up to par as the French would like. Andpro if you delve into the navy forum here some more you will come across the subject on aircraft carriers.

andpro said:
It may have a few problems but at least its a carrier. If Canada actually got a carrier do you think we should bring back the name Magnificent or make a new name?

Stop being so simplistic (It may have a few problems but at least its a carrier) and learn something from the posts to your original question.  Yes it would be great that Canada had a carrier capability again but is it necessary to have the same capability as the French or the US?

As for naming any future Canadian carriers; there were a few more carriers owned or manned by Canadians than the Maggie.

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/canada.htm

I was just referring to the fact that it does have some problems but its one more carrier than we have. Sure its a problematic ship but what ship isn't? Okay the problems are a bigger than normal, but as Ex-Dragoon said they are "teething problems" so I assume that means they probably will get fixed eventually. If the Canadian government did build a carrier (not going to happen any time soon) it would probably run into some similar problems.  I am aware of the fact that Canada had more carriers than the Maggie (Warrior, Bonaventure, etc...) I just suggested that name because it was one of the more well known ship. Sorry to the moderators I did not mean to create another thread on carriers, I just wanted to hear the opinions of the french ships.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that a carrier would be nice to have in an ideal world, but we could spend our money in better ways, even if defence spanding increases substantially. What would allow Canada to make a useful contribution to a coalition operation? Not a carrier. And if you read the latest Defence Policy Statement (which is likely to guide defence planning for the next decade), no mention of carriers. So, it won't happen. Get over it .

I totally agree with you I think it would be foolish to get a carrier now, when we have so much more to worry about like supply ships and destroyer replacements. I was just dreaming, I would like to see Canada have a carrier when we get all of other priorities dealt with.

I have my doubts you will ever see another Canadian CV, with luck you will see  an LHD but most likely an LPD (if we are lucky). Don't forget all the training, infrastructure, support equipment etc we would have to invest in from scratch to get a carrier. Its a capital investment that from the people I have talked to in the Navy don't support and its often laughed at or scorned upon because there is so much more we need. We are a middle power navy. To think otherwise only shows we are living in a dream world.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I have my doubts you will ever see another Canadian CV, with luck you will see   an LHD but most likely an LPD (if we are lucky). Don't forget all the training, infrastructure, support equipment etc we would have to invest in from scratch to get a carrier. Its a capital investment that from the people I have talked to in the Navy don't support and its often laughed at or scorned upon because there is so much more we need. We are a middle power navy. To think otherwise only shows we are living in a dream world.
That is true, I am only dreaming. we have a lot to do before we start buying toys like aircraft carriers. But I believe there will be a day that a carrier will fly a Canadian flag but it will definitely be a very long way off.

Back