• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Jarhead Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Anybody else see the movie Jarhead (2005) yet?

I saw it last night, and was semi-entertained.  Not a bad movie, in my opinion - but it could have been better.

My question is this:  the movie is based on an ex-Marine's memoirs of the 1991 Gulf War.  He was stationed in Saudi Arabia to protect the oil refineries  (In the movie, they didn't do a damn thing to protect them.  They just saw them get lit on fire, a few dozen kilometers away.  Not sure how good of a job they did at protecting the oil refineries, based on the movie, but thats an entirely different subject altogether).  Why didn't they base the movie on the memoirs of a Marine who actually fought in the Gulf War, rather than was merely present?

The reason I ask this question is that I am sure there were hundreds, possibly thousands of Marine's who fought in the Gulf War that had memoirs far more enlightening and exciting than the memoirs this movie was based on.  If the movie's goal was to send a message about what it feels like to be an ex-Marine...why not base it on the memoirs of a Marine who actually fought, rather than a Marine who never fired his rifle once while in theatre?

Any comments about this movie, fire away.

CBH99,

Please see the following discussion on the movie Jarhead already started here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33507.0/topicseen.html

I see no need for the two threads so I'll shut this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back