• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Minigun

Kiltmann

Inactive
Reaction score
OK. Is this true or bull-dung: that a minigun can be used as a hand-held weapon in combat? 'Cause if it is, I want my hands on it! I liked it in Predator when Bill Duke and Jesse Ventura sawed the forest and that rebel camp.

I also liked T-2 when Arnie was ripping those cop cars to shreds. So, I do know it can be used as a hand-held in the movies, but can it be used in real life?

One gun that I KNOW isn't legal here in Canada is the Minigun. Thing has a firing rate of like 3000 rounds a minute. It can be modified to fire as little as 955 rounds a minute.

Lets do some simple math. at 955 rounds/min, that's about 15 rounds/second. At 3000 rounds/min, that's about 50 rounds/second. If you have fired a 22. 308, or even a C7, you know there's a little kick. Now multiply that by 15 times, then a few more times for the larger calibre.  Don't believe Holllywood movies too much.

That "son" business is pretty darned condescending to someone only 2 years younger than you.  Trying to be a Rupert, huh?  Be prepared to get your hatbadge inserted into the least comfortable spot on your body the first time you call a Cpl with a CD "son".

Kat

Alrite, sorry for sounding condesending. I just like saying "son" because it sounds friendly and affectionate. I say it to my cadets all the time. I hope i didn't offend, Kiltman.
Trying to be a Rupert, huh?
I didn't get that part  ???

rifle_team_captain_13 said:
I didn't get that part   ???

Then you're doing a good job of being a Rupert....

Gentlemen,

The question, while a little beyond reality because of the nature of the weapon, is a valid one.

Having served as a Weapons Tech (Air) in a previous incarnation and having been trained at least to maintain what was known at the time as the MiniTAT (Tactical Armament Turret) I doubt very much that you would be able to use it as a hand held weapon. It can however be manually operated from a mount, either in a vehicle, aircraft or seagoing vessel. NOW THAT WOULD BE WAY COOL!

Your comments to each other, however are very disconcerting. Each post on this forum is meant to ask, answer, or comment on a specific question realting to the Canadian Military experience and the Canadian Army specifically. Slugging it out on a public forum does nothing to answer the question or inform. As I have seen written on this forum before, this is a publically availbale website. Nasty comments will not, repeat, will not enhance the image of the Canadian Forces; Regulars, Reserves, or Cadets. Plus it will waste valuable bandwidth.

Cheers.

Sir? How about that? Or maybe that Hardcore SOB that gets the job done? Not to many nice ones I'm figuring...

Actually, Rupert is just slang for "Officer" - if you don't like my joke then too bad....

They were actually using a real XM214 with real ammo in Predator.   it uses 5.56 ammo, so i dont think the kick we be so hard.    Humping it around in the woods is an other story

the weapon itself is 30 pounds, and say your carrying 1000 rounds add 35 pounds.

macside.GIF

Kiltmann said:
I also liked T-2 when Arnie was ripping those cop cars to shreds. So, I do know it can be used as a hand-held in the movies, but can it be used in real life?

Hollywood and reality are TWO different things. In Predator (according to www.gunzone.com - do a search for 'm214 5.56'), the 'GAU 7.62mm' minigun was a M134, not the 5.56mm baby brother M214. Although the some of the mech and reciever were real, it was 'prop' modified with propane to create the muzzle flash desired for that 'Horryrood effect', and the ROF was reduced to 1700RPM for less torque, and when 'fired', Jesse Ventura had a 110V power cable running down his pants, which was not to be seen by movie goers. No live ammo  :( .

The 7.62mm GAU's have a purpose in the real world, mounted on vehicles and aircraft, not to be carried and 'hand held' whilst firing. The heat generated and energy put out would be too much bare, and it would totally be impractical, except for Hollywood fastasy movies of course.

Cheers,

Wes

Kat Stevens said:
That "son" business is pretty darned condescending to someone only 2 years younger than you.  Trying to be a Rupert, huh?  Be prepared to get your hatbadge inserted into the least comfortable spot on your body the first time you call a Cpl with a CD "son".

Kat
Infanteer said:
Actually, Rupert is just slang for "Officer" - if you don't like my joke then too bad....

oh now it makes sense

The "no" was a joke. I've worked for some damned fine officers, and I've also worked for some Nigels who couldn't find their own arse with both hands and a flashlight.  Take 'em as you find 'em....

Kat

Thank you for your help, gents. It was a real pleasure for asking you this question. Hope y'all are having a good night. I know I am. 8)

Cheers,

Your one and only

Cpl. Kiltmann

Back