• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The other Federal fleet - Canadian Coast Guard Q&A

KWF55

Inactive
Reaction score
First off I am in no way affiliated with any Coast Guard or DFO recruiting.

I’m simply a Coast Guard member hoping to answer some recruitment/general Q&A about the Canadian Coast Guard.

I think this is relevant to this recruitment board because I see the Coast Guard as a potential alternative to military service for those who are unable to meet military service requirements or just those looking for a life at sea but aren’t able to commit to the navy.

The Coast Guard is another honourable way to serve your country.

Safety First, Service Always

I’ll start off with some FAQ

Q:Is the Canadian Coast Guard military/police?
A: No, not directly. The Canadian Cost Guard mandate does not give the coast Guard any military authority. Although as a special operating agency through the department of fisheries and oceans, the coast guard can and has been called in to assist in fisheries enforcement (more on that later), to assist in military/naval operations, and operations relating to national security.

Q: Is the Canadian Coast Guard armed?
A: err kind of. Not in the same way police and military are armed. With the exception of a few ships on the east coast with deck mounted 50. Cals and Mp5’s for deck crew (CCGS Cowley)most CCG ships carry shot guns and rifles strictly for wildlife protection while working ashore in rural areas.

Q: What does the Coast Guard Even do?
A: well this could be an extremely long answer. In short the Coast Guard does everything required to maintain shipping routes and marine safety in relation to Canada, and this varies greatly depending on the ship, region, and current taskings. Some highlights I can think of right now include: search and rescue from both life stations and full size SAR ships. Fisheries patrol and enforcement working with DFO fisheries officers, aids to navigation work; moving buoys, placing buoys, lighthouse replenishment. Deep water fisheries enforcement with armed boarding teams. Emergency towing vessels, helicopter operations, icebreaking...

Q:Do I need experience on a ship or at sea to get in?
A: absolutely not! You are required to take marine emergency duties training for basic shipboard emergency procedures, but no previous experience is required. Training is done internally through the Coast Guard.

Q: If I have a degree can I apply to be an officer?
A: sadly not, being a civilian organization the Canadian Coast Guard follows strict transport Canada guide lines around certification of officers on ship. To become a navigation officer or Engineering officer requires a transport Canada ticket, which requires sea time or time at the Canadian Coast Guard college.

See also,

CSIS, Coast Guard, Police Services, Fire, Emergency Response, EMS, etc.

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,70.0.html

mariomike said:
See also,

CSIS, Coast Guard, Police Services, Fire, Emergency Response, EMS, etc.

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,70.0.html

Thank you, I was going to post in that section, but I was hoping people considering the forces may benefit from information about the Coast Guard.

I live on Lake St Clair any info the CG auxiliary?  I have a boat.

Back