• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Siege of Jadotville - Netflix

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
455
Points
1,030
With recent discussion of Canadian troops returning to UN operations somewhere in Africa, this may interest some on these means.

Trailer for an upcoming Netflix film "The Siege of Jadotville"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JHsiQTTmg

I had never heard of this particular small action, however ONUC was not an easy mission for any contingent, including Canada's.  This is the Wikipedia version of Jadotville. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville
 

Shrek1985

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
160
Ah, the Congo; the first time the UN showed it's true colours and crushed a legitimate independence movement in favour of an utter mess of a dictatorship, which they could control and benefit from.

Looks like a good movie, but I'll assume they make the mercs unnecessarily evil. Reading about the conflict from their side, you get a very interesting perspective on the UN and just how the locals felt about the situation.
 
J

jollyjacktar

Guest
It's out there in the ether now, just in the process of downloading it.
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
489
Points
880
jollyjacktar said:
It's out there in the ether now, just in the process of downloading it.

I looked it up on Netflix it's just a trailer right now
 

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Nice to see the FN used, but I did get the hint that it was anti UN which is ok by me.
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
382
Points
930
my72jeep said:
Nice to see the FN used, but I did get the hint that it was anti UN which is ok by me.
Definitely anti UN and a shot at all the political generals and ambitious bureaucrats out there who will screw the coal face people (of all types not just military) to further their own career goals.

Could a Canadian filmmaker pull off a movie about Medak Pocket or the Unification Wars? I would love to find out but not holding my breath.
 
J

jollyjacktar

Guest
Not without turning it into a love story ala Passchendaele, I'd wager.
 

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Looking at it from a supply point of view, ammo requests must have been a pain. 7.62, .303, 9mm.
But I will ask one question of the more learned why did he need the Bren to take that one shot?
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
382
Points
930
jollyjacktar said:
Not without turning it into a love story ala Passchendaele, I'd wager.

Don't let Paul Gross anywhere near it?
 
J

jollyjacktar

Guest
my72jeep said:
Looking at it from a supply point of view, ammo requests must have been a pain. 7.62, .303, 9mm.
But I will ask one question of the more learned why did he need the Bren to take that one shot?
 

I once worked for someone who said they cut their teeth on the Bren.  He said it was amazingly accurate, unlike it's replacement the C2.  I suppose the bipod would have been one reason why he used it for the shot. 
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
489
Points
880
FSTO said:
Definitely anti UN and a shot at all the political generals and ambitious bureaucrats out there who will screw the coal face people (of all types not just military) to further their own career goals.

Could a Canadian filmmaker pull off a movie about Medak Pocket or the Unification Wars? I would love to find out but not holding my breath.

A Canadian political drama!  I would love to see something about this.  Alas it would probably be a CBC mini series and come out as pro Liberal / anti military propaganda
 

Lightguns

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Halifax Tar said:
A Canadian political drama!  I would love to see something about this.  Alas it would probably be a CBC mini series and come out as pro Liberal / anti military propaganda

I can see it now, Jean Chretien holding aloof a streaming maple leaf as he mounts the parapet, shiny cutlass in the other hand, helmet on rearwards, "follow me, Canadians, to ta proof!";  Above.... the clouds form the shape of PET and his one big finger thrust upward, with 2PPCLI mustered behind in 2 ranks, bayonets fixed, singing "Long Way to Tipperary" as Griffons shriek in overhead!  Totally factually done because Paul Gross would have a love scene in the company bunker toward the end of the movie. 
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,369
Points
940
Got around to watching it today.  The political portion made me think of Shake Hands with the Devil. 
 

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
277
Points
910
my72jeep said:
Looking at it from a supply point of view, ammo requests must have been a pain. 7.62, .303, 9mm.
But I will ask one question of the more learned why did he need the Bren to take that one shot?

Because the Bren was super accurate, heavy and has a bipod. Actually, too accurate for a machine gun. :2c:
 

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
250
Points
880
Only real problem I had with the movie was how overly simplistic it made things...and well, some of the artistic license of course, since I'm reading one of the books written about the battle there.  I don't think that the UN has changed much in how it handles things since then - as an institution, it doesn't learn well from its own past IMO.

MM

 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
382
Points
930
medicineman said:
Only real problem I had with the movie was how overly simplistic it made things...and well, some of the artistic license of course, since I'm reading one of the books written about the battle there.  I don't think that the UN has changed much in how it handles things since then - as an institution, it doesn't learn well from its own past IMO.
MM

The UN never learns and why Canadians have this over the moon love affair with that FUBAR'd institution is beyond me.
 

Eland2

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
FSTO said:
The UN never learns and why Canadians have this over the moon love affair with that FUBAR'd institution is beyond me.

It's because Canadians are in love with the idea that if we all just join hands and sing "Kumbaya", all will be well. To most Canadians, the military is seen as a somewhat 'icky' kind of thing, best not seen and not heard, but they want to have some way of getting Canada a place on the world stage, and peacekeeping seems to be the way to do it. Canadians seem to be most comfortable with the idea of soldiers as helpful Boy Scouts, and not as men armed with rifles, bayonets and other weapon systems who are trained to kill other people when the situation demands it.

I think the near-totally pacifist stance has a lot to do with the tremendous losses of people Canada sustained in the First and Second World wars - that is, so many people lost family members in those wars and they would like it very much if that kind of thing was never repeated. That's an admirable desire and goal, but it ignores the fact that the world has been exposed to conflict and wars since day one, and there doesn't seem to be much evidence that that natural state is going to change for the better anytime soon. By not having at least minimally competent military forces, you actually increase the risk of people dying or being injured.

I also think another part of it comes from having elected so many French-Canadian prime ministers who, because they came from Quebec, tended to have a mindset that favoured a pacifist outlook.

Just my two cents - or maybe $0.01, adjusted for inflation.
 
Top