• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Walrus with Crazy Horse in Iraq

girlfiredup

Inactive
Reaction score
I picked up the new canadian magazine today called the Walrus because of an article on Crazy Horse. For those that don‘t know who Crazy Horse is, they are part of the 3rd Squandron of the 7th United States Cavalry Regiment - the 3/7 for short. Also nicknamed "Circus Freaks", the Crazy led the charge into Iraq. The article is very interesting and if anyone is into this kind of reading, I recommend you pick it up.

Here‘s a piece of it (a little long but worth reading):

Beyond the gate the Bradleys drove slowly along the road in the pitch dark. They were now at full black-out, their headlights off while the crews scoured their surroundings with thermal night-vision optics. The landscape was blissful in the gracious cool of night. Your mind cleared; you were alert to the sudden beauty. I looked through Dakel‘s hand-held night-vision sight and could see endless groves of date palms and vineyards criss-crossed with irrigation ditches. There were little villas, the occasional dog. There was also a danger of ambush all around, and compared to the endless heat and boredom of the days, it was exhilitaring.

Geary, perched atop our Bradleys, was the first to spot the enemy. "Sir," he said calmly, talking to the Captain Bair over the intercom, "I got people up here on the berm hehind the irrigation canal."

Shrouded in the eerie green optics of the night-vision sights on their machine guns, they could see at least twenty men dressed in what looked like typical Fedayeen militia garb - baggy pants, head scarves, bandoliers of ammunition. They were about five hundred meters ahead, half hidden in the vegetation, and they looked bewildered. These were the first heavy armoured vehicles they‘d encountered in the region, but we were invisible to them and we could see them searching with their ears for what their eyes could not see.

As the convoy of Bradley‘s approached, the Iraqis stood up, raising their weapons.

"I got weapons to the right," said Geary over the radio. "At least twenty of the ****ers."

Captain Bair confirmed the sighting. "Contact right!" said the Captain. Five Bradley turrets simultaneously whirred and rotated right, the five main guns now pointing into the grove. Fifteen seconds later, Captain Bair gave the order: "Fire right!"

Huh? No comments on this? Is it just me or did anyone else get pumped reading it?

Pumped? Interesting choice of words when 25mm Cannon rounds are about to be used against people.

Just a thought.

Well it certainly wouldn‘t be a stress-free moment now would it? I‘d say my heart would be pumping. Wouldn‘t yours? Here‘s my take.. you got 25+ enemy‘s waiting to attack.. you either destroy the enemy or be destroyed. Not fun no doubt but that‘s the life of the infantry I guess.

Don‘t get me wrong, if it‘s ever a case of me or them, I‘m doing my best to see that I‘m coming home. That is my mindset, but it‘s still a helluva thing and I‘m not about to endorse any glamourizations. This is of course being said as a hypocrite as I do enjoy the odd war flick - BoB, Private Ryan, Platoon. The book I have next on my list is "Master and Commander." So yep, I‘m a hypocrite. Draw your conclusions about me from that. I‘m trying to become more of a humanitarian, while at the same time I have politically incorrect techniques I use at the range to keep my shooting as accurate as I can.

Time for me to shut it :D

Except that the infantry would be a little closer to the enemy than AFVs at 500 metres. The range of personal weapons force firefights to be fairly close (excepting FN MAG).

Back