• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Time Commitments for Various Job Positions???

rnkelly

Reaction score
How many years does a DEO have to commit to the forces for their particular job?  I think that a pilot has to commit a minimum of almost 10 years to the forces and was wondering if it is the same for other positions. e.g.Electrical and Mechanical Eng.
Thanks for any help.

I've been wondering the same thing except in the context of a signals DEO.

The only information I've been able to find is 9 years, on the Army site (http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_2_4.asp), but I find it hard to believe the contract length is the same regardless of whether you're ROTP and getting your eduction subsidized or DEO and paid for it yourself.

Can anyone explain how contracts work for DEOs?

Thanks. =)

kas said:
I've been wondering the same thing except in the context of a signals DEO.

The only information I've been able to find is 9 years, on the Army site (http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_2_4.asp), but I find it hard to believe the contract length is the same regardless of whether you're ROTP and getting your eduction subsidized or DEO and paid for it yourself.

Can anyone explain how contracts work for DEOs?

Thanks. =)

ROTP is nine years after graduation so it is 13 in total.  DEO is nine years.

Keep in mind that contracts and obligatory service or restricted release are not the same thing though they are related. Pilot DEOs start on a 9 year contract like every other DEO, then we're put on restricted release for 7 years after getting our wings. If we can get trained in 2 years then our contract is 9 years, if it takes longer than 2 years, we will sign a new contract to take us to our restricted release date or beyond.

Also, the ROTP contract carries an obligatory service segment whereas the DEO contract does not (except pilots). You can still get out of the CF if you're on a contract, however, you cannot get out if you're on restricted release or obligatory service.

For the baseline lengths, I refer you to the post above.

Thanks very much for clarifying the contract lengths. =)

I'm still a bit confused, however, and I think that relates back to the actual definition of "contract" in this context. My interpretation was that you are making a commitment of a minimum of 9 years employment with the CFs when you sign a DEO contract, and the only way of getting out of this contract before 9 years was if the CFs chooses to release you for whatever reason (ie. medical grounds). Based on Inch's post, it sounds like my understanding of the situation is incorrect, so what does the contract really mean? And on what grounds can you leave the CFs mid-contract?

Thanks again!

You can put in a voluntary release at anytime, provided you're not on restricted release or obligatory service. You can't get out over night, it'll take time to process your release and it could take up to six months.  The contract defines your terms of service, ie you work for the CF and they'll guarantee you a job for as long as you're on a contract and you meet the requirements set out in the terms of service, maybe not the correct terminology but that's my understanding of it. It protects you from being arbitrarily released (ie you haven't committed a crime nor have medical problems, etc, that would be grounds for release under the terms of service and National Defense Act).  It is in no way a hard set time with no way of getting out, that's why there's restricted release and obligatory service.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. =)

Back