• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tips on how to become a recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Having dealt with the the Canadian Forces recruiting myself recently as well as play babysitter for a bunch of guys trying to become recruits I thought I would post tips on. (Mostly aimed at reserves though might apply to the regular force).   I think itmight help you get in the CF and if not then it's still post count +1 for me.

PT.  
Your going to deal with it the rest of your Canadian Forces career. You can't run from it. (pun intended).   Don't pass off 19 push up's as easy to do because you did it back in grade 9 and not practice. I just saw a potential recruit, who said they could do 9 push ups (what she needed to do to pass) fail and possibly lose all chance of employment this summer because she couldn't do the last push up.   She did 9 all right however 3 of those didn't count because she did them poorly (not to standard)   and had to do more, she did two more and couldn't do the last one. Failed the PT test and went home. She did really well with her CFAT, interview, medical. One push up sent her home.
If you need to do 19 push ups, do 29 or 30. If you need to run 2.4 kilometers in 12 minutes, do it in 11.   The recruiting center have some pretty great people but they have a standard to follow and they do follow it. A few seconds will mean the difference on wether you become a recruit or not.     If your doing a PT test bring GYM CLOTHES. Don't try to run in casual shoes with jeans or baggy work pants. Stop being an oddball and bring a pair of shorts, t-shirt and running shoes to your test. If you want to join the army you better get used to it. You can't run PT on course with jeans or work pants.

CFAT -Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (right?)
People think they would breeze past this. The guys with me heard how much of a joke it was. Too easy.   Right after the test everyone was worried about how they did. The test was a lot harder than they expected. A few of them really thought they bombed it and failed. 2 out of them did. Some of the rest qualified for a bunch of trades and some qualified for about 5 or 6, meaning they barely "passed" the test.
The math is going to be math you haven't seen since highschool (or never paid attention to in school). Theres going to be words you've never heard of. Lots of tricky questions that will have you answering one way and when you re-read the question, answering another.
Theres a few threads on this forum about how to prepare for the CFAT.     There's also sites you can search for on the internet that will give you examples of the questions you'll face on aptitude tests and ways to improve your chances of passing. Take the 20 minutes to look it up. It might be the difference between passing and failing.

Interview
I can't offer too much insight here.   Your going to a job interview.   I wore a suit and tie. I was probably a little over dressed but I've only wore my suit at funerals so i figured it could use some change in environment.   Don't overdress but don't be afraid to look good. Showing up with greasy hair that doesn't look washed in a week, riped and torn jeans, a t-shirt saying frig the system - doesn't seem smart to me. No one cares how rebellious you are or your badass look. Guys wearing black nail polish and black eye liner make up? Really clever.
If *I* was giving an interview and the guy looked like he just walked in off the street, he would be at a big disadvantage and really have to sell himself.   Practice your interview. Have your parents, a teacher or a friend give you an interview. Sounds a little stupid and awkward, yes. Might be the difference between wearing combat boots and a camouflage uniform and wearing brown pants and white shirt at Tim Horton's   this summer.

Recruiter
Recruiters see a lot of people. Asking the same questions day after day giving the same answers.   Sometimes they screw up.  
Don't be annoying and call them every day but don't just trust everything to fall in place for you. Give the recruiter a call now and then to see where your paper work is. Sometimes they need a subtle push or reminder to do something.
Some people seem to slide right through the recruiting process and get in no problems. Others have to fight every step of the way. It's just how it works. The more effort you put into getting in the higher chance you'll be accepted.
With the recruiter, make yourself stand out to them so they remember your name and face. When your at the armories talking to them ask them questions. Don't be intrusive but don't be afraid to ask them things like how long have they been in the army, how long have they been recruiting soldiers. If they got a lot of recruits that year.   Give them a chance to answer some questions not related to you and how long it will take you to join the army. It really helps break up a tedious job.
If theres only one position and two people who want it the recruiter might put in the person they 'know'   (have seen more, seemed more interested in getting in the CF) than someone who hardly stood out in the crowd.

Being an *******
Don't.
Especially at the recruiting center.
Don't walk around the recruiting center like it's your highschool. Don't go out to McDonald's for lunch and leave your garbage all over the waiting room (OR in the vehicle that brought you up there). Don't piss around with the computers there while your waiting and don't crank the TV up full blast because theres a music video on it that you like. Don't screw around with the gym equipment where you do your PT test. Don't brag. No one cares how many push ups on your face you did last week or how fast you can run up hill with backpacks.
Being nervous is natural. Don't turn that nervousness into assholeness.
Guys, ever seen a girl? Most act like they haven't.
If your SO infactuated with the female applicant who is traveling to the recruiting center with you that you;
a. ignored the soldier driving you up while he was trying to give you advice on what to expect because you were too busy turned around flirting
b. were constantly having to be tracked down by the recruiters for your interview, medical, questions - because you were following that girl around like a puppy.
c. have to have the recruiter ask you something 3 times to get your attention.

Quit.

The Canadian Forces isn't a dating service and you've already proved what's more important to you. Your a waste of a student position.
You'll be the kind of soldier that comes up with a bullshit excuse to leave summer training and go home because he's having a fight with his girlfriend. You also look like a dummy and people laugh at you.

In the army taking 5 minutes to shine your combat boots might mean the difference between passing an inspection and doing hours of inspection's drill and basically, shitty work.
Taking one minute to check over your gear may be the difference between wether or not your whole course gets the week-end off.
It all starts with recruiting to the CF.
Take the few extra minutes to do push ups, research things on the net, ask the recruiter questions. Take a few minutes to make sure your application is good and there's no problems.     
A few minutes means passing inspections.   It also means getting into the army in the first place.

I like the last part you said about taking the time to do things right the first time. People... really, really make sure that the MINIMUM fitness standards are easy for you, meaning, where they say 19, strive for 30-40 at least etc.  Very good post Ghost778.

And lastly girls, just because you passed the PT test with the minimum 9 push ups does not mean that you should be confident going into course and having to simply do that number cuz your "special"... everyone is held at the same standard, doesn't matter what you got between your legs. lol

Woah take it easy there, that is not how I implied the word special. I am just pointing out from my personal experience that for some ridiculous reason (ok i was delusional) that I passed the PT test during the application process with like 12 push ups and i thought i was ready for basic  :D haha all I can say is that I was "pleasantly surprised." Obviously it is much different now, just said it as a heads up. And if you have read some of my previous posts (long ago) I would never imply such things.

PS. don't be so emotional    ;)

What you are saying now didn't come across like that on the previous post at all. If you were talking about yourself that's a different story. A person reading that might not think you weren't implying such things. Glad it's clarified now.

Females have the disadvantage of guys being dummies and bending over backwards to try and help them out. (read: endear themselves to the females). It's probably 100 times as bad in the army as any other job.

Guys will clean girls weapons for them, shine their boots, do laundry, cover station jobs (cleaning) or any number of other things.  If your a female recruit and you notice a guy or guys doing this put a stop to it.  Having someone clean your rifle or boots or do your work for you will seem great. Free ride. No harm done. Wel l heres a lot of harm done. Your fellow section members will resent you for it. You'll lose the respect of your peers and instructors and you'll pick up a bad name for yourself that WILL follow you off your course and back to your home unit. Bad names are hard to get rid of. No matter what you do or who you meet people will ALWAYS remember you from recruit training.

The essence of this advice "exercise common sense". Unfortunatly it can be hard to come by.

Hey, remember everyone - teamwork is good.  I was good at ironing, my buddy couldn't do it if his life depended on it but he had some spit! (for boots).  Anyway, work together help eachother out, within reason (don't you take on everything and like Ghost said don't let them do everything).  This principle worked on my GMT, Inf, ISCC.  (yup dating myself with those terms  :))

Nav - go girl!

Do you think that women go to basic with the notion that they are somehow "special" ?

Some do.  I had a girl on my BMQ who used to always b1tch and moan about PT saying she was "just a girl" and shouldn't have to keep up with all the guys.

Ghost778 said:
If your doing a PT test bring GYM CLOTHES.

Do you have time / place to change at the centre, or should you be wearing them when you show up?

There was a place to change into your pt at the recruiting centre when I went.

dk said:
Do you have time / place to change at the centre, or should you be wearing them when you show up?

If they want you in PT gear when you show up, they will tell you. They told me and I showed up in PT gear. If they don't tell you one way or the other, ask or just show up in street clothes rather than being the only one dorked out in PT gear when you walk in.

the following is my opinion only.........(read:take it with a grain of salt)

everyone on here is computer literate...take the time to prep for the CFAT if needed.
not many folks just "walk in off the street" anymore...if you dont prep for the PT test and fail, shame on you
if you want to know how to present yourself at the interview, LOOK AT AND TALK TO a Snr NCO...enough said (this from a Reg Force Officer)

and last but not least......good luck to all on their entry, and see you in the field!

Here's a good one;

Don't go on army.ca and ask every silly question ever known to mankind about bmq. I.E. "What colour should my hairbrush be?" or "Can I wear boxers and briefs or just boxers...or just briefs?" and "How many guns will I get?"  Just go and find out for yourself, enjoy getting yelled at. You know people did this stuff before the internet and they got along just fine.

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

No, you raise a good point: How did people ever make it through Cornwallis without the internet?

Tom

Island Ryhno said:
Here's a good one;

Don't go on army.ca and ask every silly question ever known to mankind about bmq. I.E. "What colour should my hairbrush be?" or "Can I wear boxers and briefs or just boxers...or just briefs?" and "How many guns will I get?"   Just go and find out for yourself, enjoy getting yelled at. You know people did this stuff before the internet and they got along just fine.

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.
You are not in a silly mood but spoke the truth.
There many of us here who have been in for over 10yrs plus, both in the Militia and Reg.Force and don't mind advising those who wish to know but we do get tired of the silly and the repetitive so don't take it to heart if you get a light dressing down, we mean well but also you must do some research your selves.

I think the PT test is a joke...Woman and men should have the same standard just because of the fact that there is no special treatment during BMQ/SQ or any other course.  You all do 30 pushups, you all have to run within a certain time and all inspection have to be the same.  There is no baby care for the females of the group.

I'm 16...Was the youngest in the company for my training which I just got back from.  Just from experience, I know the 3 females on our course struggled more with the running and the push-ups.  Mainly due to what the standards were before.

Hi Hopkins,

I agree with you that the standards should be the same for everyone, particularly for infantry. Having said that, I saw a lot of 16 year old boys struggling to do 19 pushups, situps and the grip test was a real struggle for many people too.

I don't think there was any baby care for anyone either at the the entry tests or at training. In fact the first run we did at bmq, I (a 45 yr old female) came in ahead of about 12 much younger (some 16, 17 and 20 yrs old) males. And believe me, I hadn't trained that hard to run. There were a lot of young men who couldn't keep up in the runs and there were 3 women consistently at the back of the pack with them. It could be argued that the ratio of men to women is greater so it makes sense that more men than women struggled, but I wondered how some of these people passed the entry PT test in the first place?

As for people who couldn't cut it, far more men than women were sent home from bmq for physical/attitude problems. In fact, I don't recall any women who were sent home because of attitude, that seemed to be an exclusive male domaine.

NavComm said:
In fact, I don't recall any women who were sent home because of attitude, that seemed to be an exclusive male domaine.

You have absolutely no basis for that sexist generalization. I have met a few females in particular on a recent course that displayed the worst attitude and lack of motivation I have ever seen in my life. Were they sent home? Sorry can't do that.  ::) I hear jokes about a female quota but come on. lol

It exists in males and females alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back