• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)

S

Se7eN

Hi,
Getting ready for course this summer, but I dont know what to do. I ammoving to edmonton next fall for school. How do I transfer to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment? from the Calgary Highlanders?

thanks,
Jeff

Talk to your unit orderly room about the process. They will send a message to the gaining unit.

The LER recruiting cell can be reached at 780-973-1474. It‘s pretty much the only way to reach anyone in the unit since the orderly rooms have been centralized in the new armory.

Hi there,

I will be transferring to a PRes unit in a different province shortly.   Can anyone tell me what happens to my pers kit (cbts, webbing, ruck)?  

I was told that I would have to return everything, including cbt boots, cbts, deu.   However, it doesn't seem too logical or efficient, esp with the boots.   I have small feet and it took several months for the boots to come in (size 2-2.5).    Plus, it seems like a waste of taxpayer money to have new boots reissued, when I have had these for the past year and they fit very well.

I would also like to keep my webbing and ruck (for sentimental reasons) :warstory:.   Is it possible to take these items with me when I transfer?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Logo,

I am also in the process of transferring to another unit and I am being allowed to keep my kit.   The only exception would be items signed over to you that belong specifically to the unit.   In my case that meant returning the cap badge.   Anyway that's how it works for Toronto-area units - not sure if it's the same where you are.

Good luck with the move.

logo: It will depend on how fast you want to do the transfer. Your unit will send a message to your new unit asking if they have a position available for you, and are willing to take you on strength. If the gaining unit says yes, then your unit will transfer all your clothing documents over to your new unit. If this isn't completed before you leave, then you may need to hand everything in. Also, all regimental accoutrements (Scarlets, kilts, Number 1s, mess kit etc.) will have to be handed in.

When I transferred reserve units a few years ago, I had to give back my ruck, sleeping bag and accessories, bivvy bag, mosquito net, and of all things, the 2 mag pouches off my webbing. Anything that I had gotten from the losing unit's QM had to be returned as part of the out clearance process. I'm surprised they are taking your boots though! That should be part of your initial issue for clothing... Maybe you should ask them again?

You should fin out if it makes a difference that you are changing Commands. CJ you just changed units in the same command. You also do not get issued Scarlets or Ceremonial Dress

TR said:
CJ you just changed units in the same command. You also do not get issued Scarlets or Ceremonial Dress

La-dee-dah  ;)

Fair enough, but in your unit do your RMS Clerks wear the uniform with the chainmail and the yellow stripe and such? If they don't there should be no reason for things like uniforms or boots to be returned. As for the cap badge, do you guys get to keep that if you leave? Like say to my unit if you decide to remuster?

TR said:
You should fin out if it makes a difference that you are changing Commands. CJ you just changed units in the same command. You also do not get issued Scarlets or Ceremonial Dress

Commands?  If he is staying with the Militia, he isn't transferring Commands.  Possibly Brigades or Areas.  Some units still issue Ceremonial Dress to soldiers in certain positions.  I also believe that parts of the Guards units still have scarlets.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a brigade or area arecommand groups just diferent levels. That's why they have commanders. As to the cerimonial dress i don't beleive there is one for the Signals core. They ain't been around that long. Cmbt Arms unit all have cerimonila period uniforms. Not sure how many CSS units do though.

"Commands" usually refers to Land Force Command, Maritime Command, Air Command.

I don't know about other service battalions, but mine does for Snr NCOs and Offices.

Appreciate the info!

I will be transferring to a different bde, but the paperwork has not gone through yet since it's still summer stand down.

The thing is, I received my basic kit (cbts, webbing, ruck) from the ASU clothing dept (which is annotated on the computer on my individual account holding) and the rest from my unit's QM (Goretex, fleece, etc) on a temporary issue card.

So does that mean that I have to return all the kit issued by my QM and can bring the stuff the ASU issued with me when I move?

Thanks!

Now I am just guessing... Any Supply Techs help us out here!! But I would say that anything on your personal clothing docs (ie all the stuff you got at the ASU) you get to keep. The fleece and Gortex... If it was a temporary loan card then I would say that you are SOL unless you clarify with the QM staff and see if you can keep the stuff. Try to get them to put it on your clothing docs if possible. I know that's where all my gortex kit is...

Good luck.

Christine

Anything you got issued from your unit QM, IE Temp loan card has to go back. Anything from the ASU or CFB stays with you. Buddy of mine just changed units, had a to find a bunch of his kit (including half a sleepingbag) to turn into the unit. You got the short end of the stick with that Gortex, hopefully the unit you're moving to has some for you.

I have just submitted my memo to switch from a sig op  to infanteer. Im in the reserves and have completed my bmq and sq, so if anyone knows how long it usually takes that would be great. Also im in the Communication Reserve now so i would have to be put into the Army reserve which would probably add extra time.

Thanks anyone who can help :army: :bullet:

It all depends on your orderly room and how quickly your staff really want you to leave.

I have heard of some transfers taking a month and some never even happening, go throught your Orderly Room get the paperwork in motion, including a memo up your chain informing them of your interest in a transfer and push to make sure its done. The other thing you could do is contact the unit your transfering to, and seeing if their orderly knows about your request to transfer and if their paper work is in order, cause during a transfer the "recieving" unit will want their RSM or someone else interview the new transfer.

Id imagine its different from trade to trade, but I just had a buddy get out of a service battalion and head over to my unit.  That being said, it did take him over a year to transfer because his unit wanted to dick him around.

Good luck with your transfer.

Back