• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TRAVELLING TO UK (SCOTLAND AND ENGLAND)

kincanucks

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Domestic niner and I are going to the UK this summer.  We plan on driving around England and Scotland and have two planned stops but the rest is up in the air.  We will do London at the end with three days before we fly home and we are hoping to be in Edinburgh for the Tattoo finale the weekend before.  We don't leave for a couple of months and I have spent a ton of money already.

If anyone has any suggestions for the open time or any personal experiences that might be of help to us, we would appreciate it.  We know it is expensive and crowded but we would like to know some handy dandy tidbits to maybe help make our visit there as enjoyable as possible.  I am looking forward to the driving part as it will be my first time sitting on the right and driving in the left lane.  Video may be available if we survive.  Cheers.

Its been 21 years, but I loved Stonehenge,......... even though I spent over two months in England I was single and therefore my suggestions would not coincide with bringing your wife. ;)

Maybe Che, our new Euromod, would be of help.

If you are going to Scottland, the city of Inverness is nice.  Loch Ness is a nice place to visit, when there be sure to visit Urqhart castle.  If you are in the area of RAF Kinloss, there is a fantastic Pub called the abby.  In the highlands there is a memorial for WW2 british commandoe where the view is unbeleivable, near a place called Spean bridge.  I was there a week ago, PM me if you want to see pitures or want more info.

Cheers

Edinburg and London are definites must go to spots but I have also enjoyed my times in Glasgow and Plymouth.

I have been to the UK six times so far and I would say the best way to see things if you have the time and cash is to just drive and explore, there are lots of small villages that have some interesting history. I also found that in some Pubs in Scotland that Scotch is cheaper to buy than a bottle of water. Scotch by the bottle is also more expensive than it is here because of the taxes. It doesn't make sense but thats what it was like last time I was there. Cheers.

If you can swing it - the Folkestone area near Dover was a major WW1 base fro Cdns - they have a Commonwealth War graves Cemetery at Shornecliffe and you guessed it - mostly Canucks it it. Its a semi sleepy Brit base today. All points West of Folkstone along the coast were Cdn Garrison and trg areas in WW1 and I gather similar in WW2.

Enjoy!

Working on the assumption that it is your first time coming here, the first thing I suggest is be as big a tourist as you can.
This country is wonderful for tourists so don't be ashamed or try and hide the fact (unless you're on the 'choob' at night) if you go to a city, go straight to the center and generally you'll find a big red double decker bus with an open top and a gentleman sat outside of it selling tickets, buy one and get on. Those things are brilliant if you're a first time tourist, you just get on and off as much as you like all day as many times as you want and it takes you to all the major sites in the big cities.

Personally I'd avoid driving, but that's just me, it is something you'll want to do just for fun but for the most part it's to be avoided.
The trains are good, except when they're late (which isn't as often as everyone thinks) and you can see the countryside without worrying about the muppets in the other cars hitting you or passing you etc. etc. But if you are determined to rent a car, it has its advantages, you're on your own time and you can drive as fast as you like and not worry about your things being stolen if you fall asleep (watch for speed cameras..also avoid falling asleep while driving)
Even planes are cheap, domestic and euro flights are dirt, dirt, dirt cheap (I'm talking 40 £ to Spain return airfare)

As far as cities that are worth a look, I see you've got London and Edinburgh on your itinerary and those are good starts.

Try Bath, beautiful city and should be the second destination on everyones list if they're in the UK.

Avebury in Wessex is like stonehenge without the tourists.

Warwick Castle is an excellent example of a castle, still in perfect condition with the original mound from when William the Conqueror came over at the center of it.

Portsmouth has the HMS Victory in drydock as well as the Navy Museum, if that's what you're interested.
As far as the army goes, I'm not sure which regiment you're interested in but just about everyone has a museum so look up the regiments on the army.mod.uk website and see for yourself. I've been to the Royal Green Jacket museum in Winchester and the Staffs regiment museum (as it's right down the road from me) and both were excellent.

The Isle of Wight is a traditional English day trip, but if you're pressed for time it's not worth it.

You might also look at Birmingham, it's the second largest city in England and is comparable to walking through a rainbow of people and places...and pamphlets.

If you're a Beatles fan check out Liverpool do the Beatles tour (again on one of those big buses)

If you really like Shakespeare (and I mean love the man because otherwise it's incredibly boring) Stratford upon-avon is good.

London, I'd reccomend all the usual ones (get that shot of Big ben from across the Thames like we all do ;D ) and the Imperial War Museum is definetly worth a look, there are simply too many places to go for me to be of any use, get a guide book or jump on one of the tour buses. (I swear I don't own stock in the company)

Pubs are plentiful, the beer is cheap and the food is almost always good and fattening so you'll never go hungry wherever you are.
If you buy a football jersey don't wear it, it'll only get you in trouble.

The great thing about the UK is if you throw a rock in any direction you're going to hit something of some historical significance, so really a trip to any city will uncover something interesting.

If you want to know any specifics, ask away, I could even go check out a few places for you if you want as I'm still doing a bit of touring and wouldn't mind.

Warwick Castle and the city of Bath are definitely points of interest. Also if you get the chance to go to Bovington they have a great museum with almost every Armoured vehicle you can think of and some that you probably have never seen. They also have one of the last few working King Tigers.

When is the tattoo in Edinborough (probally a big horrible mess of letters)?

I personally will be helping and in the Hamilton International Tattoo. Anyone else going to be at the Hamilton one? (its June 12th)

Just a few thoughts,

I'm currently living in the UK, so I have a few insights that might be useful.

Firstly, I echo the sentiments about driving here in the UK. The public transport sytem is quite good and not that expensive. It also savews you a lot of hassel since the trains will drop you off right in the centre of twon, which is probably where you want to be to start exploring. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't drive, but I would try to mix in some public transport as well, since it's a lot more convenient.

If you are intending to drive, Ii would suggest the SW of England. Somebody mentioned Plymouth, and I'm personally quite fond of the city. You can a pint or two in the Barbican(sp?), which somehow managed to survive the bombing of WWII and retains its small cobbled lanes and stone buildings. As well, the whoel area around there (Cornwalll and Devon) are absolutely amazing. The whole place is dotted with small country villages purched on low rolling hills. If you ever wanted to try some of the best Cider in the world, than its definately the place to go. Also, it's not as desparetly crowded as so much of the south is, so driving once you get past the M4 becomes a lot easier. Or so I've been told.

As well, Yorkshire for Fish and Chips.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Being here I might be able to be of some assistance.

P

Last tour during my HLTA I flew my son over and we spent three weeks in Scotland for Christmas.  Looking up our Scottish heritage.  Lucky for us the weather was great.  We rented a cottage at the southern tip of Loch Lomond and had a car to tour around.  This worked great as we had a home base to work from and saved money by making our own meals and packing lunches.  However, as per below points on driving....I agree, especially during summer peak tourist season.  You may find it more frustrating than enjoyable.

Things to see...the tunnels of Edinburgh..the ultimate ghost walk!!  Stirling was very nice and Stirling castle was impressive (also the museum for the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders).  We spent two days in Glasgow (definitely didn't drive there) the bus tour is great, you buy a ticket and get on or off wherever you want, we sat through the tour (1hr) to get an overall feel for the city and then got on/off in various places.  Of course spent lots of time at the RHF museum (what fusilier wouldn't) ;)

If you're into ancient sites, yup Stonehenge is impressive but you are no longer able to touch the stones.  There is a place called the Kilmartin valley in Argyllshire, Scottland which has over 150 different sites, many stone circles and cairns.  Dunad fort was interesting, the ancient place of Scottish kings.
Here is a link to an interactive map, click on the different points and you'll get a whole load of info

http://www.kilmartin.org/kilmartin/sites-map.html

There are many hostels that are cheap, worthwile to get a membership.  Here is the site for the one beside Loch Lomond, why not stay in a castle?

http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site/Hostels/LochLomond.asp

Enjoy your trip, take lots of photos and tell us all about it!!

You have to go the lakes in the northwest of England.  Cumbria is awesome and I loved my time there.  alots of some villages with lots of history and everyone is very friendly and its easy to drive around.  But I would take the bus as its just easier and you might see things you hadn't plannned on.. which is what happened to me.  IN Cumbria they have the UK lagerst lake and its very pretty and mountians are great.  Not as big as one's out in BC but just as enjoyable to walk in.

8) Having just visited the UK in April, I would sat that there is some great advice and suggestions presented here.  The info from 'Che' is particuliarly good.  It's a great place to be a 'Tourist'.  The food and beer are 'tasty' and the people are very hospitable.

We had a 'dinning in' with the Countess Mountbatten and a mounted and dismounted review in the Guildhall yard.  We also paraded with the ANZACS to the Cenotaph on the 29th.  A service followed in Westminster Abbey with Her Majesty and Prince Phillip in attendance.

For anyone that is service or ex-service (Reg, P-Res, Police etc), I would reccomend the UNION JACK CLUB near Waterloo Stn.  It is well located, very nice decour (ie military) and very reasonable.  While we were there we met Johnson Beharrey the latest VC winner.  He and his family were staying at UJC as he was being 'invested' by QE II for his VC.  There was a steady stream of millitary coming through while we were there such as a SF Col on his way to Irag via Germany etc.

I just want to thank everyone that has responded thus far.  Awesome tips and we look forward to trying some of the suggestions.

aesop081 said:
 Loch Ness is a nice place to visit, when there be sure to visit Urqhart castle.  
Cheers

my sister took a bus tour there. if there are stickers on the window of the bus and when you look at it from a certain angle and take a picture it looks just like the lockness monster swimming in the water.

I'm planning a trip to England in December 2005, I will be splitting my time between Liverpool and London. I've already been to England about 5 times so I've seen a lot of the historic things, but what I really want to see this time is some of the military things. Anything close to London or Liverpool worth checking out?

If you are looking for military heritage   you cant go to London without going to the Imperial War Museum. Bring a camera and lots of film, the exhibits are great and plentiful. Also as I mentioned before Bovington is the place for Armour but not really close to the city. The D-Day Museum was in fact a bit of a let down, I felt it was too small for such a feat. Also Warwick Castle was also mentioned in someones previous post and as far as I am concerned is one of the best examples of a castle. Cheers.

I hear Scotland is unbelievably beautiful - if the land is in your bloodline it can make your heart swell. If people can do so, please post a few pics of the sights. I'm taking a family member to Scotland next year as well, so I would be interested in places to stay and things to see as well.  I hear there may be a good golf course or two over there, even for a sod buster like me ...

One more word to the wise:

Watch out for the money.  In Scottland you will have 2 types : the british pound and the Scottish pound.  You can tell the scottish one by the " clydsdale bank" or " bank of scottland" on it.  They get mixed ( both are accepted in scottland, same value) over there but the scottish ones are no good in england.  Also if you have any leftover scottish pounds when you return to canada, not all banks will convert it back for you so spend the scottish money first when in Scottland.

aesop081 said:
One more word to the wise:

Watch out for the money.   In Scottland you will have 2 types : the british pound and the Scottish pound.   You can tell the scottish one by the " clydsdale bank" or " bank of scottland" on it.   They get mixed ( both are accepted in scottland, same value) over there but the scottish ones are no good in england.   Also if you have any leftover scottish pounds when you return to canada, not all banks will convert it back for you so spend the scottish money first when in Scottland.

LOL, do they take Canadian Tire money? There's a Scottish looking chap on that!

Back