• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Truly appalled!!!

Gordon Angus Mackinlay

Inactive
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen

My youngest son sent this to me tonight.

I had to read it three times before I fully comprehended it, to say I am appalled is to put it mildly.

Having comprehended it, all I can say is WHO in Canada would wnat to become a Regular Service Member.

I realise that the majority of people who post to this site are either children or wanna be‘s ie reservists or civilians who are unable to met the requirements to be regulars or even reservists.

This being the reason why I rarely come here any more.

I just cannot believe that a man who has put his life on the line can be treated in such a way, it is totally beyond me. Even such basket cases of countries such as Bangladesh have responsible pension systems and treatment for their military members mutilated in the line of duty.

For a so called ‘First World Country‘ as Canada to do this to those WHO BELIEVE is really appalling!!!!!

Yours,
G.A.MACKINLAY

April 13, 2003
One soldier‘s war
RICK GIBBONS -- Ottawa Sun
On Sept. 27, 1995 Major Bruce Henwood was on peacekeeping duty in the former Yugoslavia when his vehicle struck a landmine.

The explosion ripped off both legs below the knee. He survived the ordeal, but little did he know that his own private war was only just beginning.

His is a cautious tale for anyone who advocates sending our troops into war zones ill-equipped with clear and fair assurances that they and their families would be cared for in the event of death or serious injury.

A Senate committee would later review Maj. Henwood‘s case and would conclude that he was "set adrift by his own."

Within a year of his injury Maj. Henwood was out of the military. Even today he continues his fight for compensation.

He had risked his life in uniform in the service of his country only to learn that he would receive no long-term disability benefits under the military‘s Service Income Security Insurance Plan, this in spite of his catastrophic injuries.

As a final insult, he wouldn‘t even qualify for the cost of rehabilitation programs.

His appeal for compensation went through the chain of command to the head of the army, who determined that Henwood wasn‘t being denied anything he qualified for under existing medical plans.

A further appeal to the country‘s top general was passed to the military‘s Grievance Board which in the summer of 2002 decided he had received everything he was entitled to -- 75% of his salary but not a dime in compensation for the loss of two legs and the almost certain loss of future income because of those injuries.

In all, Maj. Henwood would spend eight years trying to navigate through a maze of red tape and bureaucracy in search of the compensation he richly deserved but for which, according to the military, he was not entitled.

How is it that a country that prides itself on fairness and equity could be so indifferent about the welfare of people who serve it in uniform?

We would not treat our public servants this way, nor our politicians, as Maj. Henwood would soon learn.

The final insult had to be when Maj. Henwood discovered in the course of his research that the military‘s most senior officers -- colonels and generals -- qualified for a benefit of up to $250,000 in the event of accidental death or serious dismemberment. And they wouldn‘t even have to be anywhere near a war zone to be entitled to it. The benefit applied whether the death or injury occurred on duty or off duty.

The cost of this special AD&D coverage for top military brass was covered by the government under the same plan extended to parliamentarians and senior bureaucrats. As for the military‘s lower ranks, well, they were out of luck, weren‘t they.

"It violates the age-old principle of the military commanders looking after their men first and then themselves," Maj. Henwood would tell a Senate committee.

"They have taken something more important and fundamental than just an insurance policy perk. They have shaken the trust of their subordinates and have degraded the leadership ethos."

A Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs plunged into the case of Maj. Henwood‘s private war for compensation. In February of this year, one day before senior DND staff were scheduled to testify, the government announced changes to its AD&D coverage. As a consequence, all military personnel, regardless of rank, would now qualify for the same compensation already extended to colonels, generals and Parliamentarians.

Maj. Henwood had won his war -- in a sense. Through perseverance he had forced his own government into changing the way it compensates this country‘s soldiers killed or injured in the line of duty.

He may even be compensated himself one day. This week, the Senate committee released a final report urging the government to apply the changes retroactively so that all Canadian military personnel who have been injured in the line of duty, including Maj. Henwood, are properly compensated.

Surely, Maj. Henwood deserves nothing less.

Having comprehended it, all I can say is WHO in Canada would wnat to become a Regular Service Member.
The same people as before, I should imagine. When the going gets tough, the tough don‘t quit. Should we have more respect for those sign up because of all the juicy benefits they can reap for themselves, or admire those who put their country first, even despite the ****ty way their country sometimes treats them?

I realise that the majority of people who post to this site are ...wanna be‘s ie reservists ...who are unable to met the requirements to be regulars....
:mad: Go to **** , Gordon.

This being the reason why I rarely come here any more.
Don‘t let the door hit you. You‘re not even Canadian, yet you have continually come on here to post about our military as if you know something about it. If reservists are "wannabe" soldiers, isn‘t that in the same league as "wannabe" Canadians?

My reserve regiment just had a platoon of our "wannabes" return from Bosnia after fulfilling their obligations serving in a regular force unit. They now go back to their civvie jobs and school after having donated a year of their lives in the service of others. Nothing new for us, of course, I‘ll pass on your comments to those members of the regiment who were decorated for their service with 2 PPCLI Battlegroup during Medak Pocket. Wannabes are easily amused, so I‘m sure they‘ll get a giggle out of it.

Anyone who hasn‘t gone on a tour or joined the Regs has nothing to apologize for, either, certainly not to you.

In fact, I am having a hard time recalling a single positive thing you might have had to say about the CF or our Army. I don‘t think you‘ll be missed.

Michael

As always well said. I echo your comments. I am one of those easliy amused reservist‘s so much so that I couldn‘t get it together long enough after reading Gordon‘s comments, about us silly reservists to even bother replying to him.

Glad you did, well said.

So this guy starts off by saying he isn‘t sure why someone wouldn‘t want to be a full time soldier and then he posts a story about how a full time soldier has his legs cut off and spends a decade getting jerked around by the army.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Oddly enough i only had to read it once for it to make sense.

I think i could find another reason why our friend from down under doesn‘t visit much and thats because the children and wannabe‘s don‘t have their head in their a$$ and he can‘t relate to that.

All countries deal with the same thing. Canada has had quite the $hitty run with corrupt officals and higher ups in the goverment but why come here and be a goof about it? The people who post on this site are the same soldiers who have put their life on the line just like the mentioned major.

Micheal..

I couldn‘t have put it any better, or any more nicely for that matter...

Yeah, I‘m a reservist, and ****ed proud of it. The way i look at it, while i‘m taking something from the government (schooling) i‘m also giving something back in return!

"I realise that the majority of people who post to this site are either children or wanna be‘s ie reservists or civilians who are unable to met the requirements to be regulars or even reservists."

Well another Aussie who‘s had a few to many cannies! :blotto:

Dear Gordon, for your information I have been a proud member of the Militia for 27 yrs. and still serving and a member of the only E.O.D. Militia section in the country and I have served in the U.K.,Germany,U.S. and Bosnia and I also have volunteerd for the West Bank,West Africa and other possible posting‘s but alas our Gov. saw differantly.

I could have gone direct entry many time‘s and just dropped rank but alas Garrison life and the ****e that goes with it was not to my liking so don‘t call me a wanna be.It‘s my choice and I have given up a lot, ask my wife when I was on class C for nearly two year‘s.(reguler)

I feel that you owe my self and my fellow brother‘s and sister‘s in the Militia,Naval Reserve and Air Reserve an apology,as many of us have and still do serve our country to the best of our ability and would defend our country at the drop of a hat!!!

As you Aussies are so proud of being frank!
Are you so when it come‘s to being wrong!

A pround Transplanted POM ;) and a Proud Canadian :cdn:

I maybe new to the forum and the Canadian Army...

but i can deffinatley point out a jerk when he posts like that.

Michael Dorosh- you sir summed it up best for all of us

I find it interesting that everyone jumps on one sentence that is ambigous at best (re-read it again) and ignors the core of the post. For those that have been here awhile will remember Gordon‘s fine posts and I for one am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Gordon, if you meant reservists are wannabe Reg F, then you may have stepped on your d***, but I for one do understand your fustration which I have already alluded to in a previous post.

Micheal, arn‘t you the one who suggested that if frustrated with the direction, start a new post for discussion?

RCA, indeed. But I don‘t see the point of a continual barrage of posts by individuals that do nothing but

a) criticize the government, DND, and the Army in particular
b) never offer anything constructive

Criticism is fair ball, it‘s how we improve ourselves. But there are one or two posters here who never have a single positive thing to say. That‘s not constructive and serves no purpose. What‘s doubly baffling is that Gordon is, apparently, not Canadian, has never served in the CF, has not served in the CF, and for all I know has never even been to Canada. In other words, he has no d*** idea what goes on here or not.

We all know for a fact that the media only talks about the bad stuff; very rarely the good stuff. And when they do talk about anything, good or bad, they get it wrong - it‘s not just the Army, they f*** up everything they talk about, it‘s the nature of their business. Anyone who‘s ever talked to a reporter and then seen what they did with their words later will know what I mean. That being said, we really don‘t need the analysis from our Jock in Sydney because he has no way of knowing what he‘s talking about.

That doesn‘t exclude him from having the right to an opinion on the CF - but to come on here, thumb his nose at the denizens of the board ("that‘s why I rarely come here anymore" isn‘t that ambiguous, is it?) and continue this dreck of how terrible things are (and by extension, I suppose, how great they were back in his day, whenever that was) really only

a) discourages many of the young persons who do come here looking for info on a career in the military
b) make things look a lot worse in the CF than they really are

If we continually harp on the bad stuff without reminding ourselves of the greater purposes we serve, or the many, many things our bosses have done right and continue to do right, at what point does this board become not an entertaining medium or useful information tool, and simply degenerate into a morale-damaging sinkhole?

We all have a right to criticize; I should think anyone responsible would also feel the need to temper that criticism with a bit of humour once in awhile, or even better, positive suggestions or the occasional word of praise.

You gotta admit though, his post was mostly about the injustice of the government in compensation towards wounded soldiers.

When he says wannabe‘s and alludes to reservists, I personally interpert it as the slack *** , Class A, University Student reservists, like me, who forfeit thier weekends and summers to make a pretty penny to pay for thier tuition while making no recognizable contribution to the overall well being of the military other than filling in an empty uniform. Of course, me not being a regular here, I‘m not sure if that really is the case from Gordon‘s past posts. I don‘t take offense to it, though, because I know it‘s true. The people flamming Gord for it probably should look at it that way too.

Woah

Gordon probably mention an unusual case that would statistically be an outlier. My grandfather was in the CF and let me tell you that the army took good care of him when it was time for his pension. He was always proud of himself and the army.

I believe that you speak for yourself when you say Uni students or reservists are there just to fill an empty uniform. I‘m a uni student applying for reserves and it‘s not about paying my tuition, I have another part-time job that pays more than a Captain (Table A) in prim reserve for doing probably less. People are not joining reserves to gain extra cash to make it to the next month, but for feeling proud, of being Canadian, and willing to do something for their country, also to share with others in a strong team and, for myself, in memory of my grandfather.

Julio

Mr Mackinlay brings up a story about a
Maj. Henwood. Is this true and factual? It would be nice to have all the facts in order to see if the Forces really did Maj. Henwood an injustice. Theres a pretty good process for this kind of thing. From my knowledge of the Forces, they take very good care of their people, especially those injured in the line of duty.

Personally, being a potenital recruit in the application process, I don‘t feel in the slightest way concerned how others feel about my motivations to join the CF. The recruiter asked me why I wanted to join and I told him honestly. Its not the talk and big ideas thats important, its the actions and what I do as a member. I wouldn‘t judge people too harshly Mr. McKinlay.

Ignoring the foolish parts of the original post...
Maj. Henwood’s story is as bad as it sounds – I ran into this link http://www.dnd.ca/hr/scondva/engraph/012898a_e.asp during my various internet searches for CF pension plan info a few months ago. Nothing has tested my desire to join up more than reading how he’s been treated. And if that’s the way mid-level officers get shafted, imagine what lies ahead for a private who suffers the same fate? Anyone who’s attempted to get Workers’ Comp in civvie life knows how rotten bureacracies can be. And after all, the army’s a big bureaucracy with rifles.
Cheers,
Ralph.

Funny Ralph who I almost never get my hands on a rifle, and when I do, I almost never fire it. We are after all, the Canadian Forces, not the Canadian Armed Forces.

Julio, ironically enough, I originally joined up for the reasons you described:

"People are not joining reserves to gain extra cash to make it to the next month, but for feeling proud, of being Canadian, and willing to do something for their country, also to share with others in a strong team and, for myself, in memory of my grandfather."

I never did, and to be honest, don‘t really NEED the money to make it to next month. I joined up because I was a patriotic young Canadian. Also because my buddy who joined up a year before me told me about the kinsminship and commaradrie found in the reserves. Lastly because it had been my childhood dream to be a soldier.

If it were just about those reasons now, I‘d release in a second.

I realized after my 3‘s and after a year of class A parading how stupid I was in joining for those reasons. I stay in because the reserves are very, very keen on recruiting and keeping University students; and the work of a class A reservist is alot better than most (mind you not all) entry level part time positions in the civilian sector. The people are really interesting too, and sometimes it‘s the highlight of the week for me to see and work with the familiar faces of the unit on Saterday.

Ironically enough, I suppose it goes to contradict Gordons original post (or perhaps to support it). While he presented a case where a CF member, regular force, got the shaft; I present the case where a reserve member get‘s things pretty good. I feel well looked after being in my position; I have a half decent paying job in the summer, half decent part time work during the school year. While I still feel somewhat bitter towards the reserves, I still feel that the benefiets of being in somewhat outweigh the costs.

I‘m a wannabe. I wannabe were you Gorden so can give u a piece of my f_ing mind. :mg:

Back