• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Two questions about applying as a DEO

peltch34

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

To give some context, I am an ROTP applicant, who went through all of the processes, was merit listed and, I am assuming, was not selected in the June 2 selection. I am going into my last year of school and was intending to stay for an optional half year to complete a minor, which would have also allowed me to remain eligible for ROTP had I been selected. Given that I was not selected, I have decided to opt out of going back to school for the minor and am going to apply as for direct entry.

So my first question is; how soon before graduation should an applicant apply for a DEO position? I have read/listened to numerous recommendations like, "at the end of third year", "the start of first semester", "not until after Christmas or even into February/March". My recruiting officer was the one who recommended not applying until after Christmas, which surpassed me, but I just felt there may have been a disconnect between us when we were talking. So, I thought it would be a good idea to clarify on here.

My second question is pretty straight forward. First off, I want to be in the infantry, it is what I want to do, and I've been working my butt off to get in tip-top shape for it, and I have no doubts about wanting to be an Infantry Officer, but am willing to be flexible in how I get there. So, I am wondering, is it possible to apply for DEO Infantry and NCM Infantry in the same application? For example, I would list Infantry Officer as my first trade choice, and Infantry Soldier as my second trade choice. I just really want to get in around the time that I graduate.

Thanks,

Jay

You need to first check with your CFRC to see if you have or have not been selected for this year’s ROTP.

As for when you are able to apply for DEO: you become eligible to apply as a DEO once you have started your final year of school. If you had told the CFRC that you were planning to attend the optional half-year of school, then the information given to you was correct and you cannot apply until after Christmas. If you are no longer going to attend the extra half-year, you can apply in September, but you will require a letter from your university stating that you will be graduating with the degree type and graduation date.

As for your occupation choices: you are not able to apply for both Infantry Officer and Infantry NCM at the same time, as they are different programs. However, you can apply for up to 3 occupations in the same program. This is a decision that you will have to make, officer or NCM, before you re-apply. If you were to apply as an infantry officer, and are not selected, you would then be able to apply as an infantry NCM.

Back