• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. fears terrorist attack this summer

girlfiredup

Inactive
Reaction score
U.S. fears terrorist attack this summer

Associated Press

WASHINGTON â ” U.S. officials have obtained new intelligence deemed highly credible indicating al Qaeda or other terrorists are in the United States and preparing to launch a major attack this summer, The Associated Press has learned.

The intelligence does not include a time, place or method of attack but is among the most disturbing received by the government since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, according to a senior federal counterterrorism official who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity Tuesday.

Of most concern, the official said, is that terrorists may possess and use a chemical, biological or radiological weapon that could cause much more damage and casualties than a conventional bomb.

"There is clearly a steady drumbeat of information that they are going to attack and hit us hard," said the official, who described the intelligence as highly credible.

The official declined to provide any specifics about the sources of the information but said there was an unusually high level of corroboration.

Despite that, the official said there was no immediate plan to raise the nation‘s terrorism threat level from yellow, or elevated, to orange, or high. The threat level has been at yellow â ” midpoint on the five-color scale â ” since January.

Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller plan a news conference Wednesday to outline an intensive effort by law enforcement, intelligence and homeland security officials to detect and disrupt any potential plots. And the FBI plans to dispatch a bulletin to some 18,000 state and local law enforcement agencies warning of the threat.

The FBI also has already created a special task force that is focused solely on dealing with this summer‘s threat. The task force, whose existence until recently was classified, is intended to ensure that no valuable bits of information or intelligence fall through the cracks â ” as happened repeatedly before the Sept. 11 attacks.

Other actions to be taken include new FBI interviews with people who may have provided valuable information in the past and a fresh examination of older investigative leads to determine if they might point to elements of the summer plot.

Beginning with Saturday‘s dedication of the new World War II Memorial in Washington, the summer presents a number of high-profile targets in the United States. They include the G-8 summit in Georgia next month that will attract top officials from some of America‘s closest allies, the Democratic National Convention in Boston in July and the Republican National Convention in August in New York.

The FBI and Homeland Security Department also are concerned about so-called soft targets such as shopping malls anywhere in the United States that offer a far less protected environment than a political convention hall.

U.S. authorities repeatedly have said al Qaeda is determined to mount an attack on U.S. soil, in part to announce to the world that it remains capable of doing so despite the money and effort that has gone into homeland security in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

There also is concern terrorists might try to mount an attack to coincide with the November election. The political fallout from the March 11 train bombings in Spain taught al Qaeda that an attack timed to an election can have a major impact. Spain‘s former ruling party was ousted in the voting that followed the bombing, which killed 191 and injured more than 2,000.

The official did not say how many suspected al Qaeda or other terrorist operatives are believed in the country, whether they made their way into the United States recently or have been here for some time. The FBI has warned in the past that Islamic extremist groups may attempt to recruit non-Middle Easterners or women for attacks because they would be less likely to arouse suspicion.

Special security attention already is being focused to the nation‘s rail, subway and bus lines. The FBI last week sent out an intelligence bulletin to law enforcement agencies urging vigilance against suicide bombers, who have been used by terror groups worldwide to devastating effect but not so far in the United States.

Separately, Immigration and Customs Enforcement chief Michael Garcia told reporters Tuesday that some 2,300 of its agents are being deployed to assist in security for the high-profile events scheduled this summer in the United States. These include as many as 20 agents each day working with the Secret Service to protect the campaigns of President Bush and Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate.

Garcia said his agency also is working to "tighten the investigative system" to ensure that terrorists do not enter the United States by way of human smuggling operations or through the vast, largely unprotected border with Canada.

I love the high tech colour warning system. Oh no, it‘s going up to orange. Head to the store and buy some gas masks and dehydrated food.

Reminds me of space balls.
"They‘ve gone to plaid!"

The intelligence does not include a time, place or method of attack but is among the most disturbing received by the government since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, according to a senior federal counterterrorism official who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity Tuesday.
Thats some good intel, glad it was narrowed down heh.
Maybe it‘s the same counterterrorisim guy who thinks Canada should disband the military.

I wonder what the reaction would be here if we were to be hit like Spain got it a few days prior to June 28....

A very good point and it worked in their favour once.

The thing is, if such an attack occurred, who would be elected if the liberals got the boot?

The NCP seems to be too pro-military, and probably wouldn‘t support pulling out of Afghanistan, and the NDP is too small, so any attack would seem to work against the terrorists‘ plans, whatever they are...hmmmmmm.

Marauder, your right. The EN will attack any western country, and Canada is not immune to such gutless and cowardly acts. Sooner or later it will Canada‘s turn. I hope I am wrong.

Regards,

Wes

Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:
[qb]
The NCP seems to be too pro-military, and probably wouldn‘t support pulling out of Afghanistan,[/qb]
How could anyone support a pull-out from afghanistan?

A terror attack in Canada may be the only way to get people here to open their eyes to the fact that even though we‘re Canadian we are just dirty infidels worthy only of death in our enemies eyes.

Canada is so woefully unprepared for a terror attack. To quote some MP who‘s name escapes me at the moment "If Canada were attacked I‘d expect more help from the US than my own Government"

Many Canadians seem to think that ‘everyone loves us‘, we‘re Canadians. Well thoe days are long gone.

Many places in the world where radical islamic hatred to the west brews and grows, dont even know what a Canada is. But guaranteed, they hate us all the same.

Remember that!

Wes

Originally posted by scm77:
[qb]
[qb]
The NCP seems to be too pro-military, and probably wouldn‘t support pulling out of Afghanistan,[/qb]
How could anyone support a pull-out from afghanistan? [/qb]
I don‘t know if you seen or not, but after Corporal Jaimie Murphy died in Afghanistan back in Feb ( I think) His family was interviewed and his younger sister was quite adamant about Canada‘s withdraw from Afghanistan.

Saying that we have no right to be there and that we should withdraw immediately...so on and so on.

While I personally don‘t agree with her there are alot of people who do.

Wes,

It scares me to death, but I believe your right.

I don‘t know if you seen or not, but after Corporal Jaimie Murphy died in Afghanistan back in Feb ( I think) His family was interviewed and his younger sister was quite adamant about Canada‘s withdraw from Afghanistan.
This is just my opinion...
That‘s wrong with people today. It‘s after all a war on terrorism is it not? In war lives are ment to be lost. Don‘t get me wrong I feel sorry and feel bad for his family and all about loosing his life in duty, but I don‘t agree with his sister.

Geez,

Yet again there is ANOTHER IMMENIENT terrorist attack foreseen by the â Å“Intelligence Departmentâ ? in the US! What does this make it now? The tenth major color coded alert since 9/11? I also love how they come out with such detailed information too, just shows how accurate and legitimate these â Å“warningsâ ? are.

If Canada did get attacked, and God forbid that it did, I suspect that everyone would come crawling back to us demanding protection only to find that we can't simply do the job at hand thanks to government neglect.

Of course, there would be an â Å“outrageâ ? from the overzealous and majority of the military uniformed civilian public...but wait a minute? Isn't the military the way it is now due to the civilian public and their complete LACK OF POLITICAL WILL to restore the CF to the world renowned force it once was?

Apparently, they do not realize that their national security is not just the government's responsibility, but just as much their own. If they gave a **** about the military then things would be much different. Yet all they seem to do is criticize us for the way things are despite not realizing, or being plan ignorant, that THEY made things the way they are. The attitude that â Å“We're Canada! No one will attack us!â ? seems to be a â Å“legitimateâ ? answer used from the federal government and the public not to give us the money we need. I for one get a little more then annoyed at these hypocrites.

I believe that a terrorist attack would really be the only way to correct things for the state of the military. Don't get me wrong, and don't put words in my mouth, but a terrorist attack would raise public awareness, finally for once, and the surge of new founded political will would lead the Fed's to have no choice but to give us the funds we need. Of course, it would be too little to late now wouldn't it? But that's what always happens when you try to fix something that's been neglected for 30 years (Trudeau's Military Unification Plan of 1968) and left to bleed to death since then.

Originally posted by absent_element:
[qb]
Originally posted by scm77:
[qb]
[qb]
How could anyone support a pull-out from afghanistan? [/qb]

Saying that we have no right to be there and that we should withdraw immediately...so on and so on.

While I personally don‘t agree with her there are alot of people who do. [/qb]
Oh, I didn‘t see that. But I also don‘t agree.

Back