• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Altair

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Dec 17, 2021

The verdict in the case against V. H. Zabaluyev was originally published on November 10, 2021, but only came to the attention of journalists in mid-December. It states that Zabaluyev oversaw the procurement and delivery of food to “military units of the armed forces of the Russian Federation” deployed in the Kremlin’s two self-styled people’s republics in eastern Ukraine.

The verdict goes on to provide considerable detail about these deliveries, which apparently took place every two weeks over an extended period in 2018-2019. According to court papers, convoys of up to 70 trucks carried a range of food supplies from the Rostov region to Russian soldiers stationed in Kremlin-occupied eastern Ukraine. The sums of money and volumes of cargo indicated in official court documents suggest a Russian troop presence in eastern Ukraine numbering in the tens of thousands. Drivers reportedly received high salaries due to the perceived “complexity and danger of the route.”

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov attempted to play down the scandal by insisting it was all the result of human error. “We are probably talking about a mistake by those who wrote the text because it is impossible,” he told reporters. “There were and there are no armed forces of the Russian Federation on the territory of the self-proclaimed republics.”

In a recent article addressing the stalled peace process, former US Special Representative for Ukraine Kurt Volker noted that the current lack of clarity was hampering efforts to impose additional costs on the Kremlin. “Privately, French and German diplomats acknowledge Russia’s responsibility for the ongoing war, but for diplomatic reasons do not often state this publicly,” Volker observed. “There are signs that this Franco-German unwillingness to identify the aggressor is feeding through into a refusal to consider detailed sanctions at this juncture and even to deny defensive weaponry to Ukraine.”

Since December France has been supplying weapons to Ukraine

Ukraine has been buying arms through deals with the United States, Britain, Lithuania, France and Turkey, which has been supplying armed drones.

Anti-missile and anti-aircraft systems, electronic warfare kits and cyber defense equipment are high on Ukraine’s shopping list. Ukraine is also eager to buy surface-to-surface missiles that can strike swarms of targets simultaneously.

Germany is under mounting pressure from European allies to drop its long-standing refusal to supply weapons to Ukraine to help the country to defend itself from a Russian attack.

Britain flew short-range anti-tank missiles to Ukraine on Monday, avoiding German airspace.

1642879834564.png

Gerhard Schröder: former German chancellor and currently chairman of Rosneft, which brought some controversy in western countries as a result

Business activities[edit]​

Schröder's plans after leaving office as Chancellor and resigning his Bundestag seat included resuming his law practice in Berlin, writing a book, and implementing plans for twin pipelines for Gazprom, Russia's leading energy company. He was subsequently retained by the Swiss publisher Ringier AG as a consultant.[71] Other board memberships include the following:

Other activities[edit]​

In addition, Schröder has held several other paid and unpaid positions since his retirement from German politics, including:

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind re: Germany's and France's less-than-robust response: they're also co-sponsors, so to speak, of the Minsk accords (lay person's MSM summary of the key points here) that were supposed to bring the conflict to an end - this from a joint DEU-FRA statement in November:
... Against the backdrop of renewed concerns about Russian movements of troops and hardware near Ukraine, we call on Russia to adopt a posture of restraint and provide transparent information about its military activities. Any new attempt to undermine Ukraine’s territorial integrity would have serious consequences.

We called on Ukraine to maintain a posture of restraint. Already in Spring 2021, Ukraine contributed significantly to the de-escalation of the situation, despite Russian aggressive rhetoric and failure to provide transparent information in line with its international obligations.

We also shared concerns about the deteriorating humanitarian and security situation in Donbas. We called on Ukraine to continue the full implementation of the Minsk agreements and to maintain its full engagement into the discussions conducted in the Normandy format.

We remain committed to the resolution of the conflict on the basis of the Minsk agreements ...
Meanwhile, both sides say the other side's preventing the terms of the agreement from being implemented (RUS's fault here, UKR's fault here) - and FRA & DEU have signed on the dotted line with their presence @ the talks saying they'll work toward getting the (far less than ideal) agreement done.

Last edited:

Altair

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind re: Germany's and France's less-than-robust response: they're also co-sponsors, so to speak, of the Minsk accords (lay person's MSM summary of the key points here) that were supposed to bring the conflict to an end - this from a joint DEU-FRA statement in November:

Meanwhile, both sides say the other side's preventing the terms of the agreement from being implemented (RUS's fault here, UKR's fault here) - and FRA & DEU have signed on the dotted line saying they'll work toward getting the (far less than ideal) agreement done.
When one member of the accord is planning to eat in part or in whole, another member of the accord, then that accord is useful for only one thing.

Toilet paper.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
When one member of the accord is planning to eat in part or in whole, another member of the accord ...
Yeah, that's about right - Russia got what it wanted. And now France & Germany have to (at least look like they want to) make that happen.

Last edited:

suffolkowner

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been looking around for decent OSINT feeds regarding the Russian build-up and I've found a couple that may interest some folks:

The last link contains a lot of photographs and videos of vehicle and equipment movement, current up to the last few hours.
You could try Rob Lee

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
The latest, western intelligence is now saying the Russians are planning pro Russian regime change if so, invasion is inevitable.

Altair

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
You could try Rob Lee

The joint exercise with Belarus ends February 20th, the same day as the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics?

You don't say...

neil patrick harris dr horrible GIF

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
German V-Admiral falls on his sword

“Speaking at an event in India on Friday, vice admiral Kay-Achim Schoenbach had said Ukraine would not regain the Crimean Peninsula, which Russia annexed in 2014. Schoenbach also said it was important to have Russia on the same side against China, and suggested that Russian President Vladimir Putin deserved "respect."

Ouch, tell us how you really feel Hans….

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

“Speaking at an event in India on Friday, vice admiral Kay-Achim Schoenbach had said Ukraine would not regain the Crimean Peninsula, which Russia annexed in 2014. Schoenbach also said it was important to have Russia on the same side against China, and suggested that Russian President Vladimir Putin deserved "respect."

More like he stuck his sword up his own arsch.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

And a whole bunch of other stupid stuff.

The video of his really dumb speech (in English) is available on the Daily Mail's article on this.

🤦‍♂️

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if Fritz got drunk at the beer gardens and got back together with the Ex from 1938......

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The latest, western intelligence is now saying the Russians are planning pro Russian regime change if so, invasion is inevitable ...
RUS info-machine via Associated Press: Lies, all lies!
The joint exercise with Belarus ends February 20th, the same day as the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics?
CHN info-machine via RUS state media (archived link here) on China asking to hold off until after the Olympics? Lies, all lies!

Meanwhile, some interesting wordsmithing at Der Spiegel. Longish article on why Germany has little manouver room on Ukraine (political/economic fallout, with a detailed analysis of the politics) without mentioning their status as key players with the Minsk Accords or the Normandy Four even once.

Last edited:

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
And a whole bunch of other stupid stuff.

The video of his really dumb speech (in English) is available on the Daily Mail's article on this.

🤦‍♂️

I was a little confused about why he would be speaking English in what appeared to be a committee meeting, then the light bulb came on and I realized he was in India. Accepting that his command of English is an infinite measure greater than my now decades past mangling of Deutsch, could his faux pas (now we're into trilingualism) be attributed to stumbling in another language during a conversation when free-flowing thoughts are more common than during a prepared and rehearsed presentation?

As for his speech . . . in addition to the taped meeting at the Daily Mail link, Admiral Schoenbach also gave a presentation available here

I haven't had the time to listen to all of it yet.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Accepting that his command of English is an infinite measure greater than my now decades past mangling of Deutsch, could his faux pas (now we're into trilingualism) be attributed to stumbling in another language during a conversation when free-flowing thoughts are more common than during a prepared and rehearsed presentation?
I think his command of English is very good.

Maybe it's just me but my impression was he was somewhat arrogantly giving the Indian "peasants" a lecture on the "India-Europolitik" - especially the bit about roping Russia in with Europe against the Chinese. Europe and particulalry Germany, having awakened to the China threat, have for a few years now been courting India and vice versa. Merkel went there in 2020, I believe, and there have been many high level discussions on everything from trade to defence.

Like I said, I don't think it was a language issue. To me he sounded like he was talking down to the Indian delegates and got carried away with his own brilliance. That happens to us Germans from time-to-time. 😁

🤷‍♂️

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I was a little confused about why he would be speaking English in what appeared to be a committee meeting, then the light bulb came on and I realized he was in India. Accepting that his command of English is an infinite measure greater than my now decades past mangling of Deutsch, could his faux pas (now we're into trilingualism) be attributed to stumbling in another language during a conversation when free-flowing thoughts are more common than during a prepared and rehearsed presentation?

As for his speech . . . in addition to the taped meeting at the Daily Mail link, Admiral Schoenbach also gave a presentation available here

I haven't had the time to listen to all of it yet.
Well I listened to the whole link.
First, the guy said at least 10 times through the whole thing how much he views China as a threat. I remember him saying the same thing about week and a half ago when he was in Singapore. He views Russia as the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Second, his command of English is perfectly fine. No issue there.
Third, he seemed to be more in favour of Merkel and her old government than the new government. He made a telling statement during this answer about Russia, he said he was a Roman Catholic and if I remember correctly, in Germany they typically vote for the Christian Democrats, Merkel’s old party. Because of this, and his comments on Putin and the pressure the new Chancellor is under from the US, I think the SD’s forced him out.
Lastly, I think the guy thinks like a military man, not a politician. He definitely believed that he was among friends there in India, especially when he told them that his son was marrying an Indian girl and that he was emigrating to India. He didn’t believe that someone would leak this comments out of rom that forum. He learned a very valuable lesson today, trust few people and keep your true opinions to yourself.

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
I think his command of English is very good.

Maybe it's just me but my impression was he was somewhat arrogantly giving the Indian "peasants" a lecture on the "India-Europolitik" - especially the bit about roping Russia in with Europe against the Chinese. Europe and particulalry Germany, having awakened to the China threat, have for a few years now been courting India and vice versa. Merkel went there in 2020, I believe, and there have been many high level discussions on everything from trade to defence.

Like I said, I don't think it was a language issue. To me he sounded like he was talking down to the Indian delegates and got carried away with his own brilliance. That happens to us Germans from time-to-time. 😁

🤷‍♂️
Hang on now- An arrogant German General Staff Officer?

;)