• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a microcosm of what may very well be played out across most countries in the EU between Nov and March.

Belgians rush to buy heaters before winter​

There is a rush on the sale of electric space heaters as Belgians prepare for a cold and expensive winter, marked by high gas prices and inflation. In Belgian stores, the sale of heaters and electric blankets has increased significantly, according to RTL Info.

Note the costs: "the average annual gas bill jumping to over €5,900. Electricity is slightly cheaper at just over €3,200."

That's about 8,500$ CAD / year to heat a house in Belgium - which is significantly warmer during the Nov-Mar time period than virtually every part of Canada.
As a comparison - I know that I pay about 1,300-1,400$ CAD / year to heat my house in Burlington - that's a gas furnace, gas stove, gas barbeque, gas fireplace and a gas heater on my pool (which I use a great deal to keep my pool above 80F).

EDIT: Article referencing the household gas costs in Belgium.

Average annual energy bill tops €9,000​

Phuckin great. We just moved to Belgium. At least we signed a three year lease, after which, we will get out of Dodge.

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
In Wallonia - be prepared for 2 names for virtually every village, town and city - the French name and the Flemish name - and if you use the 'Flemish' name in Wallonia be prepared for alot of people to shrug their shoulders and say, 'never heard of the place'. The same will hold true in Flanders, though I found them to be more open to admitting that 2 names of each place exist when I lived there years ago.

Leuven = Louvain
Namur = Namen
Antwerp = Anvers
Bruges = Bruggen
Liege = Luik
Brussels = Bruxelles

You get the picture.

Bring good rain gear, you're going to need it.....
In Casteau

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
In Wallonia - be prepared for 2 names for virtually every village, town and city - the French name and the Flemish name - and if you use the 'Flemish' name in Wallonia be prepared for alot of people to shrug their shoulders and say, 'never heard of the place'. The same will hold true in Flanders, though I found them to be more open to admitting that 2 names of each place exist when I lived there years ago.

Leuven = Louvain
Namur = Namen
Antwerp = Anvers
Bruges = Bruggen
Liege = Luik
Brussels = Bruxelles

You get the picture.

Bring good rain gear, you're going to need it.....
Thanks for that. I am just undergoing the adjustment to understand why everything in Belgium is so fuckin slow, to the point that my wife says "You need to calm down" I have still not calmed down. They are friendly people, but with no sense of urgency whatsoever.

We arrived at the end of July, for 4 weeks there were record temps (25-40C) and no rain. For the past three weeks, there has been no day without rain; reminds me of my posting to Victoria.

Mon francais est tres mauviase, but thankfully most of the locals understand/speak English.

OTOH, I have 4 kids and the washers and dryers here are micro and suck shit.

Rant off.

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I am just undergoing the adjustment to understand why everything in Belgium is so fuckin slow, to the point that my wife says "You need to calm down" I have still not calmed down. They are friendly people, but with no sense of urgency whatsoever.

We arrived at the end of July, for 4 weeks there were record temps (25-40C) and no rain. For the past three weeks, there has been no day without rain; reminds me of my posting to Victoria.

Mon francais est tres mauviase, but thankfully most of the locals understand/speak English.

OTOH, I have 4 kids and the washers and dryers here are micro and suck shit.

Rant off.
We used to have a saying living in Belgium - the Belgians do things 'back asswards' instead of the more commonly known phase 'ass backwards'.

Have you gone to the post office yet to try and mail/ship something back home? Wait for that experience to happen....

Use English over Francais when in Flanders, you'll get a better response and a smile.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Putin acts like a 6yr old in a schoolyard, “it is because I say so” ...
So you know it's bad when one of the bully's traditional buddies comes out and says out loud, "you're wrong, bud."

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score

Not bad I guess....

I wonder if a consultant has done the 'bang for buck' analysis on all this yet?

You know, so they can kick off a proper 'War Bond' campaign with the right data in hand. People who can't go, must give! ;)

1664402387564.png

Attachments

• 1664402311686.png
    1664402311686.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

YZT580

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
We used to have a saying living in Belgium - the Belgians do things 'back asswards' instead of the more commonly known phase 'ass backwards'.

Have you gone to the post office yet to try and mail/ship something back home? Wait for that experience to happen....

Use English over Francais when in Flanders, you'll get a better response and a smile.
on the other hand, the doctors will make house calls and the transit system is superb. Want a good day, take theTueveran tram out to the African Museum park. Not the museum itself but the park is fantastic place to wander

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
on the other hand, the doctors will make house calls and the transit system is superb. Want a good day, take theTueveran tram out to the African Museum park. Not the museum itself but the park is fantastic place to wander
Yes and the food is top shelf and the beer selection is to die for and the chocolate unparalleled. But it’s still a dysfunctional place overall in my experience, just my 2 cents.

Skysix

Reaction score
"The conversation with the Prime Minister of Canada was, as always, very specific and concerned primarily how Canada can increase support for Ukraine. Among other things, demining was discussed. Canada has both the appropriate technology and the appropriate humanitarian ambitions.

I invited Prime Minister Trudeau to lead a global effort to clear our land of Russian mines and projectiles. Due to the Russian war, Ukrainian land is one of the most contaminated by mines in the world. And while there are similar examples of large-scale mine contamination around the world, we must do what others have not done: we must set a precedent for rapid and large-scale demining, not leave this problem for decades. I thank Canada for its willingness to help us."

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Yes and the food is top shelf and the beer selection is to die for and the chocolate unparalleled. But it’s still a dysfunctional place overall in my experience, just my 2 cents.
Okay! I'll disagree on the food. Any nation that consumes Croque Monsieur and Moules in garlicky broth has limited taste buds. The beer and the chocolate (Mmmm, Neuhaus) is fine, though. I even got along with frites with mayonnaise.

😁

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Question for your infantry types. Seeing the pictures of the Russian Trenches and their gawd-awful lack of sanitary discipline, how do you folks maintain a relatively clean and orderly defensive position?