• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy in AFG

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone could enlighten me a bit here - how does someone move from being a storesman/barber on a ship to being a network tech in AFG?  I note one of the folks quoted in the article talks about OJT and working with the field service rep - how much other training would a typical "blue assigned to green" in these situations go through?  Probably dopey questions for those who know, but I'm curious because I don't.  Shared with the usual disclaimer....

Sailors take on untraditional roles in Afghanistan
Navy Lt. Neil Myers, Konar Provincial Reconstruction Team, CJTF-101 web page, 30 Aug 08
Article link

Afghanistan (August 28, 2008) - In a perfect world, military personnel on deployment would always be assigned to jobs within their rates.  Some Sailors assigned to provincial reconstruction teams are billeted as general service, meaning prior military training is not required.

With the robust nature of PRT Konar’s mission, some assigned Sailors were required to help out in areas they don’t normal work back at their commands.  Through specific focused Army training and on-the-job training, Sailors find themselves contributing to the PRT mission in ways they never imagined.   

Petty Officer 3rd Class Shawn Simmons, a ships serviceman from Sherman, Texas, stationed onboard the USS Kauffman FFG-59 in Norfolk, Va., is one such Sailor. He was the ship's barber and store keeper prior to being deployment to Afghanistan.  His new job is the PRT's computer network technician.

"I maintain the networks for PRT Konar and all units stationed at Camp Wright" said Simmons, who assists in managing the classified and unclassified intranet.

Simmons provides computer security and maintains the internet. Additionally, he maintains American Forces Network, telephone and satellite systems.

"My PRT teammates call me the combat barber," said Simmons, who is also a licensed humvee driver and he qualified expert on the MK19 /240B during pre-deployment training at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Brian Johnson, an engine-man from South Bend, Ind., is another such Sailor. He is stationed at Little Creek, Va., onboard Landing Craft Assault Craft - 85 and is a member of the hovercraft light crew.

Billeted to the PRT as a driver, Johnson spends his off-duty time as a counter IED systems technician. He also maintains communications equipment.

"I learned [area communications] systems by reading the service manuals and [on the job training] from the field service representative,” Johnson said. “After about a month I was ready to work on my own.”

Chief Petty Officer Jeremy Andrews is Simmons’ and Johnson’s division chief. He runs the communications shop for the PRT, called the ‘Comms shop.’

When not mobilized, Andrews, a reservist from Portland, Ore., pilots commercial airplanes out of a civilian airport in Texas.

"Back home, I'm a pilot for American Eagle,” said Andrews. “Here, I supervise Sailors in a one-stop [information technology] shop.”

Working in the Comms shop in theater is hardly a desk job, said Simmons, who together with Johnson augments PRT Konar's security force by driving humvees and handling weapons.

"I'm always helping out wherever I can,” Simmons said. “I enjoyed being the ship's barber. Here I was given the chance to work in IT, so I did it."

His fellow Sailor agreed.

"I feel this job is important and I'm glad I can help," said Johnson. "It motivates me knowing that what I do helps people to stay alive and contributes to the mission."

The capabilities that these Sailors provide allow Camp Wright to function as a regional IT support center. As a result, the Comms shop provides service to units from the surrounding areas. Andrews recalled a recent occasion where this support proved crucial.

"A unit arrived at [5 a.m.] with a bad GPS system that rendered them mission incapable,” said Andrews. “After hours of troubleshooting, we identified the problem and reconfigured their GPS. They were excited and very thankful. Helping people - that’s what I love about this job."

And the PRT appreciates their contributions, said the PRT commander.

"I'm Proud of the Soldiers and Sailors at PRT Konar,” said Navy Cmdr. Daniel Dwyer, PRT Konar’s commanding officer. “Many of them are working far outside where they normally work back at their home unit. They exhibit flexibility and commitment to helping the team and supporting the mission anyway they can. I commend them for rising to the challenge."

Yeah, I am going on Roto 7 (3-09 to 10-09) and will be going from a Navy Tech to Air Ops.  :salute:

I'm hoping someone could enlighten me a bit here - how does someone move from being a storesman/barber on a ship to being a network tech in AFG?

Could he possibly was a network tech in civvy life before joining the Navy, became a storesman/barber to get in decided it was an enjoyable MOS and stuck with it. Now he might be using his civvy world expertise in an area that needs it? Just throwing it out there.

I dont see the problem here. We (the CF) have been doing the same thing.

Navy Storekeepers use the computer extensively both to keep track of inventory but also to reorder when stores are depleted,purchasing and receiving,issuing equipment/tools ect.

It would be a good guess they are "1st line" types, maintaining the systems that are already there and doing things like...user accounts, and other stuff like that, as opposed to say "enterprise network design".  This seems to work for them; it might free up actual Comm Tech's to do the dirtier work?  Just spec fire, of course...but 1st line support in IT is actually very easy.  Network card broke;replace network card.  Its about as hard as withdrawing money from an ATM, you just need to know 3 small things on how to not break the new NIC going in....

Eye In The Sky said:
but 1st line support in IT is actually very easy.  Network card broke;replace network card.  Its about as hard as withdrawing money from an ATM, you just need to know 3 small things on how to not break the new NIC going in....

What did you just say ?

I suck with everything electronic.......

If I elaborate, there will be 50 other people debate what I said, and a voilent pocket-protector fight will follow...and I *just* redid the tape on the bridge of my glasses...can't risk it.  :)

Eye In The Sky said:
It would be a good guess they are "1st line" types, maintaining the systems that are already there and doing things like...user accounts, and other stuff like that, as opposed to say "enterprise network design".  This seems to work for them; it might free up actual Comm Tech's to do the dirtier work?  Just spec fire, of course...but 1st line support in IT is actually very easy.  Network card broke;replace network card.  Its about as hard as withdrawing money from an ATM, you just need to know 3 small things on how to not break the new NIC going in....

Are you ssure the US does it the same we do it? If not then their way may be easier or harder depending on what they have to do...

Ex-Dragoon said:
Are you ssure the US does it the same we do it? If not then their way may be easier or harder depending on what they have to do...

No, not at all...thats why I said 'spec fire, of course'.

tomahawk6 said:
Navy Storekeepers use the computer extensively both to keep track of inventory but also to reorder when stores are depleted,purchasing and receiving,issuing equipment/tools ect.

Maybe it's my own IT ham-fistedness talking, but it strikes me as a bit of a leap going from using a system to setting it up/fixing the hardware.

Eye In The Sky said:
Just spec fire, of course...but 1st line support in IT is actually very easy.  Network card broke;replace network card.  Its about as hard as withdrawing money from an ATM, you just need to know 3 small things on how to not break the new NIC going in....

If it really is this easy, sounds like a reasonably quick OJT, then.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Could he possibly was a network tech in civvy life before joining the Navy, became a storesman/barber to get in decided it was an enjoyable MOS and stuck with it. Now he might be using his civvy world expertise in an area that needs it? Just throwing it out there.

Makes sense as well.

milnews.ca said:
If it really is this easy, sounds like a reasonably quick OJT, then.

It is, actually.  You don't have to know the OSI model and all this other IT UFI to be able to do 1st line.

Think "call centers".  The folks answering the phones there.  They can have very limited IT skills and work a 'check list'...fix something and have NO idea what they did...but it works.  And that is what counts.

Back