• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Using your own tools.

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, I am thinking of applying for FCS/ED Tech as well as Engineer but just had a question about using my own tools. I have a Mastercraft digital multimeter and a Fluke ammeter as well as miscellaneous hand/power tools used commonly in the Electrical trade. When you are on course, are the tools supplied? That's what I'm thinking. But if I want to use my ammeter, is that possible? Does everyone have space for their personal tools or is there a communal tool system?

Cheers

Yes the tools are supplied ,of good quality (Klein tools and the like for Ed TECh). You have to sign for a complete toolbox, are responsible for it and stuff. You can "work" at your unit with personal tools ,but it is not  suggested. What if that nice piece of kit of yours disappears. At the shop ,we have lots of all kinds of tools, name it... You sign for it, do your job, clean it up, bring it back...

Sorry to butt in, but do you know if the sign for it, do your job, clean it up, bring it back policy apply to other Tech trades? (411 Veh Tech in particular)

Yes ,the same applies. The mechanics are issued a big tool kit/drawers/cabinet with all the regular tools in it. For high ticket items, you sign them out of the tool crib. As a normal "army" thing, you're responsible for what you sign for and expected to bring it back clean and ready to go for the next user...

Patrick H. said:
Hey, I am thinking of applying for FCS/ED Tech as well as Engineer but just had a question about using my own tools. I have a Mastercraft digital multimeter and a Fluke ammeter as well as miscellaneous hand/power tools used commonly in the Electrical trade. When you are on course, are the tools supplied? That's what I'm thinking. But if I want to use my ammeter, is that possible? Does everyone have space for their personal tools or is there a communal tool system?

Cheers

You sign for all your tools when you're posted to a unit. When you're on a course, due to the school's budget, you probably won't have anywhere near the tools that you need (I had one little tool box with two wrench sets, two socket sets, and some screwdrivers and hammers - which for a mechanic, was less than a quarter of the tools that I needed), so having your own toys is definately more convenient than running to the tool crib every time you need something. But once you get to your unit, you'll get a decent set of tools to use. And as per your second question, although there isn't any formal policy on the use of personal tools, I would discourage it for a number of reasons. First, like delvan said, it may grow legs and walk away. Secondly, if you're doing your job with Army tools, and they break (it happens - especially with some of the Fisher-Price junk that I signed), you go to the tool crib and get it exchanged. If you're working with your own tools, and they break, you're sunk.

Jordan411 said:
Sorry to butt in, but do you know if the sign for it, do your job, clean it up, bring it back policy apply to other Tech trades? (411 Veh Tech in particular)

Yes, this is the practice with us as well. You sign for your tool box when you get to your unit, and when you get posted to another unit, they take out the old tables with marker outlines of all the tools on them, and you spend half a day matching up hammers and screwdrivers to their outlines. They go over the checklist, note what's missing (most people do lose at least one or two things over the course of a couple years - especially wrenches and sockets), replace it (possbily making you fill out a lost items report, depending on the value of what you lost - they're not going to bother with a lost kit report for a 7mm socket, but a multimeter is going to cost you), then you pack everything back up, and move on to your next unit, where they get out their tables, and you spend half a day unpacking a tool box over there, checking over the contents to make sure that you have everything that you're about to sign for, then pack everything back up and go to work.

I have both the Industrial and Construction/Maintenance Electrical Licences with 20 years experience.
I'm currently in BMQ in a Reserves unit in SW Ont.

ED Tech and FCS Tech are not available in the Reserves at the moment. Therefore I'm going through for RMS after I finish SQ in June /06.

Will they open up the Tech positions to the Reserves at some time ? I would love to work in the Forces with my Trades. In the private world my Licence/Experience is in great shortage and demand. Is it not also in the Forces ?

8) :cdn:

Nope no mandate for those trades

only 411/129 Veh techs and 421/130 W tech L in the reserve force perhaps the air or navy reserve

Patrick H. said:

Cheers

Patrick H don't do it, leave what belongs to you at home and what belongs to the crown at work. Dirty laundry is the exception here, but let's stick to tools for the moment.
Many times I have heard about the personal tools going missing or getting broken/lost whilst completing a task. Now, what does the mbr do? Do they get any financial re-compensation, nay. It's a tough break and expensive lesson learned. If special tooling is required and it will be; then the demand goes in to the mighty CF supply system and the techs wait so very patiently for the big day when their necessary tooling shows up. Our tool boxes are evolving entities, so get the paperwork in early if you need special tools to complete your army mission to fix "broken stuff". That way the crown will purchase it , own it and worry about it if a future replacement is needed when things go south.
Hopefully you will see that the risks outweigh the rewards concerning personal tools.
Cheers. :salute:

Back