• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USN Frigate CO fired after ship hits pier

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This happened back in April.

Navy Times link

Frigate CO fired after hitting pier

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Jun 24, 2010 13:14:14 EDT

The skipper of the frigate John L. Hall was fired Tuesday morning for hitting a pier roughly one month after taking command.

Vice Adm. Harry Harris, 6th Fleet commander, relieved Cmdr. Herman Pfaeffle for loss of confidence in his ability to command, 6th Fleet spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Mark Walton told Navy Times.

There was no mast, and no injuries resulted from the April 16 incident, which occurred in Batumi, Georgia.

The incident happened during a port call held amid joint drills conducted with Ukrainian naval pilots and the Georgian coast guard in the Black Sea. Walton said the ship sustained some damage, but was able to continue with its mission.

“We take command seriously in the Navy,” Walton said. “This is unfortunate, but the commander felt there was a need for the change.”

Pfaeffle is the ninth skipper fired this year. He is the fourth surface commander and the first frigate skipper relieved in 2010.

The ship, with its crew of 17 officers and 198 sailors, is in Cape Verde off Africa’s western coast. Lt. Cmdr. Michael Brand, the ship’s executive officer, has temporarily assumed command until a replacement is assigned. Pfaeffle has been assigned administrative duties, Walton said.

Pfaeffle is a mustang from the submarine service who enlisted in 1983, according to his official bio. He entered the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps through the Navy’s Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training Program and received his commission in 1993. He has served as a combat systems officer and twice as an executive officer.

John L. Hall is homeported in Mayport, Fla., and is on a scheduled deployment to 6th Fleet.

Could I try the same thing with my wife for damage to the car sustained when parking? >:D

Tango18A said:
Could I try the same thing with my wife for damage to the car sustained when parking? >:D

No, since it's higher commanders who relieve lower-ranking subordinates.

Should you do anything, however...

Back to the old problem of Sgt at work, Pte untrained at home. The Residential SM makes and enforces the rules of her domain.

Wonder if Cdr Pfaeffle will get promoted?

The old steamers (Rustiguts, Sallyrand, Macks, Nipigon etc.) had an extra steel plate right on the front of the foc'sole round-down, just under the bullring, to prevent chaffing of the lines. It was nicknamed the "promotion plate": rumour had it that any commander that hit anything with it was immediately promoted to captain and, as a result of his new elated rank, was sent ashore to a comfortable staff position. :)

Didn't the Toronto run in to the jetty in Portsmouth back in 94

Back