• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UTPNCM Signal Officer Positions?

siggy215

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many positions will be available for Signal Officers in this years UTPNCM selection?  As well, how many people usually apply for Sig O though the UTPNCM program (i.e. how competitive is it?).  I've been told that there have historically been 2-3 positions accepted each year, but I have no idea of knowing how many have been turned away.

Postng the same question twice is usually frowned on here.

Do you have DIN access?  I know the UTPNCM msg is up on the Halifax FPSO site.  It should be on the BPSO/WPSO site where  you are posted (assuming you are Reg Force NCM, as you are interested in UTPNCM).  I took a boo at the message, but can't remember and can't access it from home but I can check tomorrow if you don't have access for some reason.

Sorry about the double post.  I looked at the different areas and noticed that they are relatively unrelated and wanted to widen my scope (which I guess is the definition of a double post…).

I’ve seen this years msg (assuming we are talking about the same one) and only saw that Signal Officer is open this year, not the number of positions.  My coy clerk searched the DIN and determined that there are two positions available, however the PSO mentioned three.  Where can this info be verified, and does anyone know how many people usually apply?

Cheers.

If you want to PM me your Forces email addy, I can send you the link to the msg on the FPSO Intranet site..it was the actual msg with the #s on it, or I can post the link here (assuming you can get to it on your Baseline/DWAN PC).

I have no idea how many ppl usually apply, can't help you there.

If you can post it here, that would be great.  Others with similar questions could then access the site as well.  However the golden question is how many people actually apply.  I spoke to my Sig O today, who recently instructed on the Signal Officer crse, and he stated that there were only a "couple" UTPNCM students.  This is pretty redundant information considering that they could have been the only two to apply, or conversely the top two selected from a dozen or more...

It doesn't affect anything with reference to my application, however numbers and percentages are always useful when trying to determine a possible career path, and plan accordingly.

Eye, I thought those were numbers as well until I had an interview with a PSO.  Apparently those are not the number of sports open. Like for example, this year there is only 1 CEOTP INT spot, while the number in the message states 10 or 12, going off the top of my head. The only person that can give accurate numbers is a PSO.

meni0n said:
Eye, I thought those were numbers as well until I had an interview with a PSO.  Apparently those are not the number of sports open. Like for example, this year there is only 1 CEOTP INT spot, while the number in the message states 10 or 12, going off the top of my head. The only person that can give accurate numbers is a PSO.

Sports?  :blotto: 

Seriously though... ???  So the numbers on the msg that was pumped out are not correct.  I would like to say I am surprised but that would *not* be the truth.  Perhaps the CEOTP numbers on the message reflect CEOTP internal AND external (ie via CFRCs) that are open for 09/10?

I am still scratching my head wondering why they don't put the number of UTPNCM positions that are open on the msg.  Anyone have the answer or even a decent guess?

I'll give it a go  :) From my interview, basically for the CEOTP numbers, he said something about compulsory retirement age when I asked him about the numbers in the message but he didn't elaborate. As for numbers not being posted in the messages, basically a few things can happen, such as them not filling up all of the UTPNCM spots and having qualified applicants on the CEOTP side, so they will transfer numbers from UTP to CEOTP. Another thing that can happen is they might raise the number allowed in, considering they have applicants with solid files or even transfer numbers from other entries to UTP. Alot of things are in play, such as the state of the trade, how the other intakes did, quality of the applicants.

I second meni0n's explanation.  It's been recently explained to me that none of the number available positions are etched in stone.  They can manipulate numbers depending on the number and quality of candidates they receive for the different programs/trades.  This obviously makes sense; why turn someone down only to hit below the quota for a given trade? 

I would like to know how many people have applied for these positions in the past, but of course those numbers can also change dramatically from year to year.  And it's all relative since there are likely very few positions available.

It's always nice to have a heads up, when it comes to planning your career, trying to get on tour, etc.  However at the end of the day the magical powers that be make the final decision, and there's little we can do to change it.

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's because they are governed by a different body.

Oh to be a fly on the wall sometimes...

Eye In The Sky said:
Ok I'll buy that too.

Now.  Why do they put numbers on the CEOTP message then?   ;D

FYI, the numbers that are in brackets next to the occupations are Compulsory Retirement Age (CRA) required to apply ie: Intelligence Officer (10), you need to be 50 years old or younger to apply. 

siggy215 said:
Does anyone know how many positions will be available for Signal Officers in this years UTPNCM selection?  As well, how many people usually apply for Sig O though the UTPNCM program (i.e. how competitive is it?).  I've been told that there have historically been 2-3 positions accepted each year, but I have no idea of knowing how many have been turned away.

With DWAN access you can view the Intake Table (Reg Force External) FY 08/09 on the Basic Training Intake Management (BTIM)- CFRG HQ webpage (CFB Borden) All entry programs (ROTP, CEOTP, UTPNCM) are broken down by elements and occupations.

Back