• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release (VR) from Reserve - anytime [Merged]

mrodrigz

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question, can you VR as soon as you finish your BMQ for family reasons? Simply because I am currently doing my BMQ and my mom has been diagnosed with herniated disks on her back and I believe she needs me now more than ever..  also if i do VR.. would i be able to get back into the forces lets say after 2-3 months or do i have to wait the 6 months before re-applying.. ? i want to get my BMQ... now so i dont have to come after.. is this possible.. please explain what consequences I will have will I have to do BMQ again? if I decide to join within two three months after I simply want to make sure my mom gets the help she needs before anything.. can the army help me out and maybe let me re-apply after sooner/before the 6 months?.. is it harder to VR after finishing  your BMQ?

**also please note I would probably  won't be aloud for compassionate leave that long.. because I dont know how long I will take with her.. I don't want to be pressured to come back.. and leave her without her being confortable.
thanks a lot i need some help in making this decisions.

Have you thought about talking with your course staff?

Don't take breaking your contract lightly.  Whatever the details of the personal reasons are, I work with soldiers who have lost family members while on duty - they've taken what compassionate leave the system grants them and carried on with their service.

If you are going to walk away from the military for a non-terminal problem with a family member, can we count on you in the future?

Since you may be looking at a period in a PAT platoon anyway, ask your chain of command about Leave Without Pay.

Talk to your chain of command, and the padre.

I don't want to sound brutal or heartless, but I don't think the CF would think that would think that's an appropriate reason to break your contract. Is there absolutely nobody that can help her? Can she live with somebody else until she's better?

That particular injury is relatively minor. The CF would consider what other negative things could happen that you may ask to break your contract for.

If you are supporting your mother then you MAY be able to get her listed as a dependent. I have a friend that was able to get his elderly mother added and he's been able to get separation pay and to get her access to the health care plan as a dependent. It wasn't easy for him to do it and it took him from January of this year until just a few weeks ago. That being said, he's now entitled to some fairly significant back "pay" in the form of reimbursed rations and quarters and separation pay. Perhaps the extra pay and medical assistance may allow you to hire some help to get your mother through this without having to jeopardize your career.

If this is truly the only reason you want to VR, and the situation will resolve itself after 2-3 months, maybe you could consider cutting cobbling together some compassionate leave, annual leave, leave without pay and/or hiring someone for a few hours a week to help take care of her.

Be very careful about breaking your contract. Things change and your trade may not be open again when you reapply, files get lost and things happen which can delay your re-enrollment to the CF. Best advice here so far, go talk to the Padre, there are very good at providing advice on situations like this and I've seen them work wonders with soldiers in positions not dissimilar to yours.  :2c:

Not going to get too into it, but the padre is a very excellent person to talk to, regardless what faith you are.

I had an issue during my BMQ, and the padre was the sole reason that I was able to continue my training without the issue becoming influential. They are very good at being compassionate, while able to give you objective advice on your situation without getting emotionally tied up in it. Definitely one of your best resources.

There are other ways around it. The CF would not want you to quit immediately after BMQ. If you did, it may take you a very long time to let you back in. I've heard of some people waiting over a year to two years after they VR to get back in, because the CF wants to know FOR SURE that the person's heart is finally in it.

thanks a lot for the replies guys I have bookd an appointment with the padre and talked to my staff about it also.  I will probably end up not quitting because you are right.. things happen.. i was just in some shock when i heard about and yes I will look into getting her as my dependent, that way she can be entitled to the medical services she needs.
thanks a lot guys

As was mentioned earlier, you will probably be spending time in PAT platoon. We have had members on PAT come home and work with our Reserve unit, doing various day staff things, including GD. It allows the member to spend time at home, and be gainfully employed while they wait for course. It also gives the Res unit someone to use without having to pay them. If you have a Reserve unit in your hometown and they are willing to take you on, that is a possibility for you. Beats sitting around doing trash pickup in CFB Boredom.

mrodrigz

I would hate for some one like your self to give up on your CF career if your able to pass basic .    I can understand you wanting to help family but I doubt your family would want you to give up on a good career . 
          IF its alright to suggest to you maybe your Mom's Doctor can get in touch with the access center to see if she would be qualified about getting a Home care company (Para-Med or VON ones like that )  to come in and help your mom with personnel care .  Its just a thought but it may be an option for you to consider

Michael O'Leary said:
Since you may be looking at a period in a PAT platoon anyway, ask your chain of command about Leave Without Pay.
Leave Without Pay (LWOP) is not the only option if one is facing a period in PAT Pl.  I know of at least one school that is employing PATs in second location OJTs (including at reserve units in obscure locations) often for compassionate reasons.

hi
i just joined less than a year ago as an officer in the reserves
my situation has changed and wondering how to get out and the process and procedure on that
im on bmoq part 1 and have a few more weekeds to go
i feel like crap getting out cause i feel like im letting down my unit and being a hassle to the administrative system, but its a bad time

Not hard to do.

First, with only a few more weekends to do on BMOQ 1, finish them and that will help you should you someday down the road want to come back to the Reserves.

Second, on completion of that Crse go to your OR with a memo requesting your RELEASE and they will start the process for you, and give you a timeline as to when and what you have to do.  This is where finishing your Crse may come in handy, as by then you will know how to write a proper memo.

It doesn't matter what occupation you are. I echo George's comment... complete the course first. You never know if you're going to join again later.

......and please use proper English; grammar, punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure in your memo. 

i see, thanks for the concern. i definitly want to rejoin, just how do i go about this without screwing over my regiment?

walkingdog said:
i see, thanks for the concern. i definitly want to rejoin, just how do i go about this without screwing over my regiment?

Don't quit... If you want to rejoin, you're making it very easy for your regiment to skip over you and select someone else the next time you apply.

Back