• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of GCS & GSM

JSR OP

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all
I've tried looking for the answer to this question, but I haven't been able to find anything...(yes I have done a search, before anyone asks...)

I have been awarded both the General Service Medal, and the General Campaign Star.  The GSM for tour in '04 in CM, and the GCS for tour at KPRT in '07.  Both were Op Athena.

It has been mentioned to me no less than three times that I should not be wearing both.  Once on Remembrance Day, and a couple of other times while on course.  I have asked my CoC about this, and I am told that there was some confusion when these medals initially came out, and that it is perfectly OK to wear both.

Have any of you out there had the same issue? 

I'd like to have a source to quote the next time I am questioned on this matter besides "My SSM said I could"

Does anyone know of a quoteable source for said issue?

This DHH chart of medals is current and the discriptions of the GCS and GSM appear to allow for both to be worn. It's a starting place for the search.

From DHH:

WEARING

The GSM shall be worn in the sequence prescribed in the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, and in the following manner:

On the left breast, suspended from the ribbon described above, between the General Campaign Star and the Special Service Medal;

So yes, you can wear both

FDL :cdn:

kratz said:
This DHH chart of medals is current and the discriptions of the GCS and GSM appear to allow for both to be worn. It's a starting place for the search.

Link is not working correctly...

comes back with:
attack.jpg

which links to:
google.jpg

Nites

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhr-ddhr/publications/pdf/MedalsNEWS_110107.pdf

Note the DH&R newsletter link on the CMP site says only one of either GCS/GSM can be worn with the ISAF bar...I know it is a source of some discussion but that appears to be the current regulation.

Hmmm...

Thanks for the link.  I'll see if I can find anything newer.  things may have changed with the year that it was published...
Not looking too good though is it? :-[

Getting the same error message with the second link.  ???

JSR OP said:
Hmmm...

Thanks for the link.  I'll see if I can find anything newer.  things may have changed with the year that it was published...
Not looking too good though is it? :-[

It seems to me you can wear both, but you have to pick which one gets the ISAF Bar

That is the third CF/DND link in the past two days that has shown up as an attacked link. I have no problem accessing it from home. The web chart was last updated 29 April 2008, so the information is current to this year and even shows the VC.

Due to the link issues, here is the cut and paste for the GCS and GSM sections for wearing the medals:

WEARING

The GCS shall be worn in the sequence prescribed in the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, and in the following manner:

On the left breast, suspended from the ribbon described above, between the South-West Asia Service Medal and the General Service Medal;
One bar is worn centred on the ribbon;
If multiple bars have been awarded, they shall be evenly spaced on the ribbon in the order earned, with the first bar earned worn the closest to the Star; and
Where the undress ribbon is worn, a silver, gold or red maple leaf is worn to denote respectively the award of a second bar, third bar or fourth or subsequent bar.

and

WEARING

The GSM shall be worn in the sequence prescribed in the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, and in the following manner:

On the left breast, suspended from the ribbon described above, between the General Campaign Star and the Special Service Medal;
One bar is worn centred on the ribbon;
If multiple bars have been awarded, they shall be evenly spaced on the ribbon in the order earned, with the first bar earned worn the closest to the Medal; and
Where the undress ribbon is worn, a silver, gold or red maple leaf is worn to denote respectively a second bar, third bar or fourth or subsequent bar.

I'm going to call the 1 800 number on the MedalsNews newsletter tomorrow to get the answer.

Does no one else have this issue?  It can't just be me....  Or could it?

I'll let you all know how the call goes.

Niteshade said:
Link is not working correctly...

comes back with:
attack.jpg

which links to:
google.jpg

Nites

Just out of curiosity; are you running MS Antivirus 2008?  It is malicious software that a rogue group of hackers set up to look legitimate, and it not only slows down your PC, but sends data as to what you surf, off to their site.  It is notorious for "pop ups" advertising anti-virus and spyware software for sale.

JSR OP said:
I'm going to call the 1 800 number on the MedalsNews newsletter tomorrow to get the answer.

Does no one else have this issue?  It can't just be me....  Or could it?

I'll let you all know how the call goes.

The medals chart put out by DHH and it's order of wear is current and accurate.

If you have been awarded both medals for tours under the seperate mandates listed in their criteria (even IF both are with ISAF bars) - you are entitled to wear both.

Personnel who got the GCM due to being deployed in CM, who have subsequently served in TFA and earned the GCS ... wear both. They are entitled to. They are in recognition of SEPERATE tours/mandates to mission.

Just as those who recd the SWASM/GCS for the tour that covered the move from Kabul to KAF and switched mandates can wear both of theirs.

JSR OP said:
It can't just be me....  Or could it?

Definitely not you. Been the object of a lot of heated debate, and what I've always seen is you wear one of them.

We actually had a WO, now at the school, told he had to hand in his GSM to be able to get his GCS, if I recall correctly.

I believe one of the guys at the C&E museum is actually appealing that to DH & R, or was at least talking about it.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Definitely not you. Been the object of a lot of heated debate, and what I've always seen is you wear one of them.

We actually had a WO, now at the school, told he had to hand in his GSM to be able to get his GCS, if I recall correctly.

I believe one of the guys at the C&E museum is actually appealing that to DH & R.

Interesting statement that.

We've got troops wearing both here ... both awarded for seperate tours and seperate mandates.

George Wallace said:
Just out of curiosity; are you running MS Antivirus 2008?  It is malicious software that a rogue group of hackers set up to look legitimate, and it not only slows down your PC, but sends data as to what you surf, off to their site.  It is notorious for "pop ups" advertising anti-virus and spyware software for sale.

I am not running said anti-virus, but I am also receiving the website warning.  I believe Firefox is the one issuing it.  Very strange.

ArmyVern said:
Interesting statement that.

We've got troops wearing both here ... both awarded for seperate tours and seperate mandates.

Not saying it was right or wrong, not saying I saw it with my own eyes. Saying the WO told us that's what's happened.

Either way, it's something I do know we have discussed, and many who were awarded both, were told to wear only one.

boot12 said:
I am not running said anti-virus, but I am also receiving the website warning.  I believe Firefox is the one issuing it.  Very strange.

I was just curious.  The site opened up just fine with IE7 on my Vista machine.  I just heard of this Malware today, and am checking all my machines, as there seems to be a lot of slowdowns in service lately.  May still bear looking into, as I can't see a DND site being accused of stealing your information or taking over your computer to attack others.  Someone (Hacker) has created a fine "conspiracy theory"

The website warning happens with Firefox 3.0, its the malware blocker. Just click "Ignore this warning" on the bottom right of the screen.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Not saying it was right or wrong, not saying I saw it with my own eyes. Saying the WO told us that's what's happened.

Either way, it's something I do know we have discussed, and many who were awarded both, were told to wear only one.

No, I get it. I was just saying that it hasn't seemed to be an issue around these parts. Someone is obviously going to have to set out some clear direction --- if (some of) the CF is telling people to "choose one", but the DHH site shows an obvious entitlement to wear both - as awarded and even notes their placement while worn at the same time.

I did think that medals and their wear were a DHH responsibility, but it would seem that some people in the CF are overruling what DHH has laid out. I wonder what their grounds are for that?

JSR Op,

The Canadian medals system does not allow an individual to have two medals for the same mission i.e. ISAF.  This is the same reason you cannot be awarded and wear the NATO Afghanistan medal.  When you received your GCS you should have turned in your GSM as the former, technically speaking, is an "upgrade".  As of now the only way you can keep, and wear, your GSM is if you were also awarded the Op Allied Force bar for support to the bombing campaign in Kosovo.  This eligibilty criteria can be found in the Canada Gazette Vol. 138, No. 31 Para 11 (2) http://gazetteducanada.gc.ca/partI/2004/20040731/html/decret-e.html and was previously covered in the following thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/70908.15

Cheers,

Back