• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are you listening to/fav type of music

Not my fav, but giving The Money Store by Death Grips a listen at the insistence of my oldest....Kind of his generation's Rage Against The Machine.  Best described as a hip hop - punk  fusion I think. 

In this case a donut or tire shaped 292 key keyboard. Some of us may remember piano lessons (and trying to master an 88 key keyboard), this thing is on steroids:

http://nextsound.co/2014/02/07/pianoarc-paves-the-way-for-novelty-musical-instruments/

PianoArc Paves the Way for Novelty Musical Instruments
SOPHIA BOETTCHER on 7 February, 2014 at 00:00

Lady Gaga’s keyboardist, Brockett Parsons, looks like the scary, wild-eyed brother of the eleventh doctor in Doctor Who, English actor Matt Smith.

Standing in what looks to be an alien’s mouth — or the inside of a kiss — he thrashes on a row of teeth, which are in fact piano keys.

Designed for live-performing musicians, PianoArc is essentially a doughnut-shaped keyboard. Despite featuring pitch bending and IR optical scanning, its straight-up specifications compared to those of other professional keyboards on the market wouldn’t strike a typical pianist as incredibly useful. Take the Yamaha Tyros-5 for instance. It acts as a music production studio, fully outfitted with your own personal backup band.

Besides being circular, what’s so special about PianoArc? For one, a 292-key circular piano is certainly an exciting twist in user interface design. For two, PianoArc drew a lot of attention at NAMM this year. For those unfamiliar with NAMM — it’s the biggest convention for musical instrument developers in the world. If you’re a luthier or synthesizer manufacturer from China, Seville, Spain or Guatemala — NAMM in Anaheim, California is the place to showcase your work and be seen. Needless to repeat, PianoArc proved a big hit at this important event for industry insiders. Indeed, PianoArc is definitely something I think we should keep our collective eye on, or at least the trend it signifies.

“I believe I work for one of the greatest performers of all time, ever. And I was just really inspired to try to make some sort of inspired to create a performance statement,” says Brockett when asked in an interview at NAMM why he developed PianoArc.

Ultimately, PianoArc signals a transformation and popularization of visual kei. Now, visual kei was originally a movement by Japanese musicians characterized by heavy makeup and over-the-top performances. With the rise of the internet, our attention spans have dwindled to basically 10 seconds. The result? Now more than ever, popular music artists and independent label musicians need to capitalize on being eye-opening.

Fotor0206213414Pictured (left to right): Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and male visual kei guitarist Hizeki. It’s clear to see that musicians are trying to stand out, whether that means using bright outfits, makeup or novelty instruments. (Interpolation: Hey kids, how about, you know, playing music)

Sure, PianoArc won’t be as successful or widespread as iPhone or bottle water. The fact it empowers musicians to create shows that are as much visual art as they are performance art, however, is interesting. Just how empowering is a piano that lets a musician run around in circles on stage like dog trying to catch its tail, while still banging on keys and making sounds? As empowering as the musician in question is creative. Moreover, I think we’ll see an upsurge of novelty musical instruments in music.

Partial Specifications:

Style: Circular Controller Keyboard.
Keys: 292 Keys: 3 contiguous eighty-eight note keyboards -1 twenty eight note control section, pitch bend/mod per keyboard section.
Inputs/Outputs: Expression, Sustain. USB MIDI, MIDI IN/OUT.
Action: Custom Hybrid grand/synth action. Sprung (unweighted) wood keys, rocker pivot with PNO scan custom optical sensing. Adjustable key height and key dip.
Size: Approx 6′ outer diameter. Customized to 54″ playing reach for Brockett.
Stand: Tiltable +/- 50 degrees. Height adjustable.
Weight: Really, really heavy.

Of course very talented musicians can do interesting things with conventional instruments (but this involves being able to actually play music rather than auto tune or following a beat machine. See various artists from Jimmi Hendrix to modern "Math Rock" players for examples).

My favourite band is definitely Theory of a Deadman.

Right now though I am listening to Eminem - Survival
and Jorge Quintero - 300 Violin Orchestra as pump up
songs for my workouts.

Not a "fave", but might help people who need to relax or get to sleep:

http://dailyhealthpost.com/according-to-scientists-this-is-the-most-relaxing-tune-ever-recorded/

According to Scientists, This is The Most Relaxing Tune Ever Recorded

By Daily Health Post November 26, 2013 Natural Remedies, Stress

This eight minute song is a beautiful combination of arranged harmonies, rhythms and bass lines and thus helps to slow the heart rate, reduce blood pressure and lower levels of the stress. The song features guitar, piano and electronic samples of natural soundscapes.

A study was conducted on 40 women, who were connected to sensors and had been given challenging puzzles to complete against the clock in order to induce a level of stress. Different songs were then played, to test their heart rate, blood pressure, breathing and brain activity.

The results showed that the song Weightless was 11 per cent more relaxing than any other song and even caused drowsiness among women in the lab.

It induced a 65 per cent reduction in overall anxiety and brought them to a level 35 per cent lower than their usual resting rates.

Moreover, sound therapies have been used for thousands of years to help people relax and improve health and well-being. Among indigenous cultures, music has been the heart of healing and worship. The song, weightless is ideal for unwinding and putting an end to a stressful day.

According to Dr David Lewis-Hodgson, from Mindlab International, which conducted the research, this song induced the greatest relaxation, higher than any other music tested till date. In accordance to the Brain imaging studies, music works at a very deep level within the brain, stimulating not only those regions responsible for processing sound but also ones associated with emotions. The song Weightless can make one drowsy and hence should not be heard while driving.

Read more: http://dailyhealthpost.com/according-to-scientists-this-is-the-most-relaxing-tune-ever-recorded/#ixzz2ssYgDOGE
Follow us: @dailyhealthpost on Twitter | dailyhealthpost on Facebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmMNyTwePY#t=220

Anyone listen to "hardcore" music?

Parkway drive
Killswitch Engage
Architects
August Burns Red

I also enjoy the classic punk rock, Sum 41, Blink 182 that whole shin dig.

GiveMeYourPie said:

Parkway drive
Killswitch Engage
Architects
August Burns Red

I thought The Clash was pretty hardcore for 1979  ;D

Right now I'm listening to my favourite Persefone album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upv6_4WT6hY

As for the above, Parkway Drive is great.
Another good suggestion is ERRA, if any of you like Periphery (particularly their self titled albums) you'll enjoy their work.

GiveMeYourPie said:

Parkway drive
Killswitch Engage
Architects
August Burns Red

My son just quit a "punk"  band because they thought Blink 182 was punk.... its not... :)

Listening to Chopin's Polonnaise, with the house single malt (Glenlivet) and a Cohiba.

Listening to F u cked Up - No Pasaran

This is real punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFEEtIOtGU

Right now I'm mesmerized by the soundtrack of 2014 Volvo commercial with Zlatan Ibragimovic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GClNBmGIc
I know that it's an interpretation of the Swedish hymn but I can't find it anywhere :(

RomanE said:
Right now I'm mesmerized by the soundtrack of 2014 Volvo commercial with Zlatan Ibragimovic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GClNBmGIc
I know that it's an interpretation of the Swedish hymn but I can't find it anywhere :(
Zlatan Ibrahimovic 2014 commercial for Volvo with English subtitles. It was filmed in Stora Sjöfallet National Park, northern Sweden and also features Zlatan's family; his sons Vincent and Maximillian, and his wife Helena. The song is the traditional Swedish national anthem, now produced by Max Martin.

The music released on Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/album/4iacJhYH1GrcdZxolWIYAA

:crickets:

To name only a few: Sting, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, Aphex Twin, Astor Piazzola, Ben Houge, Bérurier Noir, Johnny Cash, CCR, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Miranda Sex Garden, Moby, Philip Glass, Portishead, Prong, Radiohead, Rush, The Prodigy...

Back