• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What does 'mentioned in despatches' mean?

NEW GUY

Inactive
Reaction score
My Grandfather fought in France, Italy and Germany in WW 2 and when he passed away my father took possession of his medals and a framed Mentioned in Despatches certificate. We have researched and found out what the medals are all about but we're having a hard time finding out exactly what the  Mention in Despatches means. What is the criteria to be 'mentioned'? Does it have to do with any of the medals that he earned or is it a separate thing? Is there records that should exist going into detail about how he earned it and if so does anyone have any sites or agencies that you might direct me to?
My father contacted the government (veterans affairs I believe) with hopes of getting detail but only received a letter stating that my grandfather was mentioned; and I have tried the National Library only to have a letter sent back saying that they do not carry such records (after someone else in the government told me that they do). A few calls to the CF have also been fruitless. Any help/knowledge/advice would be much appreciated.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/honour_awards_e.asp?cat=3&Q_ID=104 

Hopefully this can answer some of your questions.

Throughout the history of the British Army, commanders in the field wrote back to higher authority to keep them informed - these messages were known as "despatches" and informed the higher authority - the Monarch or other superior officer - of the progress of their campaigns.  These messages also mentioned officers and soldiers who had carried out specific acts of gallantry or periods of distinguished service. To be so mentioned was to have been "Mentioned in Despatches."

The despatches were usually printed in the London Gazette, but up to the Great War, being mentioned in a despatch did not result in the officer or soldier receiving any visible mark to show that he had been mentioned. It was only after the Armistice in November 1918 that it was decided to issue a small bronze oakleaf to any officer or soldier who had been so mentioned.

After the war ended and the Victory Medal was issued, the oak leaf of the Mention in Despatches was worn on the ribbon of that medal.

By the time of the Second World War, this method of recognition was still in place.  However, as the war went on, Mentions in Despatches could be given out for a variety of reasons.  If a soldier was nominated for a medal, but higher authority felt that the deeds he performed were not up to the standards expected for that medal, he might be granted a Mention in Despatches instead.  Other situations arose where "periodic awards" were granted on a quota basis.  Commanders would then put forward names of soldiers they felt worthy (again, perhaps those soldiers refused bravery medals from earlier dates may have been considered for Mentions in Despatches in this manner).

At war's end, a cut-off date was put in place for awards, and many units polled their field officers for names of deserving recipients.  For this reason, there are often no accompanying citations for Mentions in Despatches.

Mentions in Despatches during the Second World War were signified by wearing the oak leaf on the ribbon of the 1939-45 War Medal.

ribbon3945waroakleaf.gif

Most medals for bravery are not awarded posthumously and if a nominee should die before the publishing of the award they are often awarded an MID instead. There should be an account of the awarding in the Regimental War Diary.

Refer to Service Publication CD Courage & Service there you will find the date of publication in the Canada Gazet and the CARO number and date.

www.servicepub.com

Thanks for all the info and site suggestions. I have a much clearer understanding now.

It should also be noted that an MiD does not have to relate to a specifically military act.  For example on one of my tours of duty in Northern Ireland a LCpl received an MiD for his part in the uncovering of a major fuel smuggling operation.

Back